RPI improved 12 positions after UAB win (79 from 91)

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
In reality, we are still right in this thing. After watching LSU and UAB (especially had we lost), it's hard for even me to not get a little down on the team. But truth be known, we are simply underperforming right now, so you have to think that turns around at some point. It also helps that we've finally nailed down the rotation. Bullpen is still a crapshoot, but I like what I see from Auger, Hunt, Fristoe, Kohn and Talley.

Be nice for Tepper, Tullar and Stinnett to just not suck.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
In reality, we are still right in this thing. After watching LSU and UAB (especially had we lost), it's hard for even me to not get a little down on the team. But truth be known, we are simply underperforming right now, so you have to think that turns around at some point. It also helps that we've finally nailed down the rotation. Bullpen is still a crapshoot, but I like what I see from Auger, Hunt, Fristoe, Kohn and Talley.

I feel like MSU baseball has now turned into our normal yearly conversation about MSU basketball where we say well IF we do this and IF we do that we might be able to sneak into the NCAA tournament. Certainly not where we want to be but it is what it is at this point.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I feel like MSU baseball has now turned into our normal yearly conversation about MSU basketball where we say well IF we do this and IF we do that we might be able to sneak into the NCAA tournament. Certainly not where we want to be but it is what it is at this point.
"has now turned into" - one half year after winning the national championship.

Okay buddy.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Magic number is still most likely 14 SEC wins, which would mean we need to go 10-8 the rest of the way. That’s not totally unreasonable, especially given our remaining schedule outside of Tennessee. Probably gonna have to win a road series or two but definitely not impossible against Ole Miss who is 0-6 at home in SEC play, Mizzou, or Texas A&M.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
"has now turned into" - one half year after winning the national championship.

Okay buddy.

Not to mention the 3 trips to the CWS in the last 3 years. That's like saying our basketball team went to the Elite 8 3 years in a row but we're expecting to sneak into the tournament.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I'm generally more positive than many here, but I'd need some really rosey glasses to find good in Fristoe's last two appearances.

He was solid vs Arkansas and Memphis, but he flat out cost us a now clearly very important win Friday vs LSU. It is what it is.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Bama was around 36 in Rpi and also had 2 wins in Hoover which the committee treats the same as a weekend sec win.

LSU was around 19. Gonna be tough for us to get to those numbers. We are probably gonna need 14 wins or a run in Hoover.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Alabama and LSU went last year and they were 12-17 and 13-17 respectively.

But Georgia got left out at 13-17. That’s very much the 50/50 range in terms of getting in. Bama won two games in Hoover that undoubtedly helped them. LSU was very lucky to get in, Georgia probably feels like they got hosed.

14 should be the magic number for us.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bama was around 36 in Rpi and also had 2 wins in Hoover which the committee treats the same as a weekend sec win.

LSU was around 19. Gonna be tough for us to get to those numbers. We are probably gonna need 14 wins or a run in Hoover.
If we get there, RPI will take care of itself.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Not to mention the 3 trips to the CWS in the last 3 years. That's like saying our basketball team went to the Elite 8 3 years in a row but we're expecting to sneak into the tournament.

Is there like a reading comprehension issue with some here? The NCAA discussion for THIS season in baseball has indeed turned into the same NCAA discussion we have for basketball seemingly every season lately. This has NOTHING to do with other recent very successful baseball seasons.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login