Rubber Game Opening Weekend Thread

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Holy crap, I didn't know we picked up Nixon. Didn't he beat us in the CWS in the first game against TX?
Yes, we got on base against him, but he did not give up a run in 1 2/3 innings and was credited with the win in Omaha against us.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
So we get 2/3 instead of the Sweep. Sucks cuz there's ample reason to say we shoulda taken all 3. I'm just taking a deep breath for now and waiting on the next game since there's notta bigga nuf sample size to freak out on any side of the equation at this early juncture.

Reactions: patdog

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
So far, I like our offense, but our pitching and defense needs significant improvement.

The first two innings from Highfill today were the worst I’ve seen us at Catcher in a VERY long time.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
So far, I like our offense, but our pitching and defense needs significant improvement.

The first two innings from Highfill today were the worst I’ve seen us at Catcher in a VERY long time.

The 1st 2 innings of a freshman's career vs the last 9 innings of a senior's?

Disgusted The Golden Girls GIF

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Thank goodness Kellum backed up from the plate after listening to 6 pack coaches
If your being serious, thanks.

If your being sarcastic The first one is middle out over the plate. He can handle those.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 223955.png

The second one he actually is farther from the plate. Normally you would see his foot where the pitchers hip is. Maybe he adjusts to lefties that way.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 224304.png

PLus it is low. so again he can handle those.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 224502.png

It is the mid thigh up on the inside he can't possibly get the barrel of the bat on the ball.

I think he could be a great power hitter at state. He just has that problem area that is a strike and he can't barrel it up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I am really glad he backed off the plate. It could make him a more dangerous hitter. Unless decades of watching baseball and old age has dulled my thinking he has a swing that can do even more great things for MSU. He is still raw but I haven't seen a left handed swing like that in a kid in a long time. He's not the best evah but he has potential to become a feared piece of our lineup.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Very long time? Were you around 24 hours ago?
Actually, I missed the schit show on Saturday because I was watching the basketball game. When I switched to basketball, we were up *roughly* 10-2.

Was Highfill the catcher that gave up 11 stolen bases Saturday? If so, I retract my previous statement and offer apologies.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
At least we got 5 out of Gartman. Maybe Smith and Hunt will do better this coming week vs AZ State. Gonna be a step up this week in competition vs ULM and AZST. We better quit throwing the ball away all around the field and keeping the walks to a minimum. Wonder who we throw vs the WarHawks on Tues. and Wed.?

Reactions: onewoof

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Actually, I missed the schit show on Saturday because I was watching the basketball game. When I switched to basketball, we were up *roughly* 10-2.

Was Highfill the catcher that gave up 11 stolen bases Saturday? If so, I retract my previous statement and offer apologies.

No, the catcher who gave up 11 SB’s was Hancock. Highfill gave up zero yesterday…..hence my reply to your comment.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
No, the catcher who gave up 11 SB’s was Hancock. Highfill gave up zero yesterday…..hence my reply to your comment.
I remember somebody, maybe Lemonis saying it was gonna be great having Hancock back behind the plate because of his style that helps pitching, Would like to hear from others who know more about that than me. Also, during last year's miserable season, did we evah lose that big a lead? Wondering how long it's been since we've schit the bed as bad as game # 2.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login