Rules question

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
On the Hail Mary throw on Seller's last pass the Alabama player intercepted the ball on the 3 yd line, took two steps and crossed into the endzone. He started to take a knee but didn't. You can see the other defensive back point for him to run, which he does and enters back onto the field of play where he was finally very gingerly stopped.

My Question: Had Harbour tackled him would that not have been a safety and the game thus a tie? Or if he had taken a knee would that not have been a safety?

Harbours lack of instinct to tackle the player really bothers me. I don't get that mentality. He seemed to give up because the ball was overthrown. But that is another topic.

I4CtheFuture

Oct 5, 2024
Short answer: No.

In those type of situations: believe it or not, *MOMENTUM* is factored in. Momentum carried him into the endzone after the interception... and that's legal......once that happens and he is *IN* the endzone, he can run around all he wants to from side line to sideline if he wants to, as long as he doesn't come back out into the playing field, even if he's tackled, it still results as if he took a knee.

In your scenario, even if tackled, it's a touchback. Bama's ball at the 25 yrd line.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login