Rumor: LUS puts 96 large over 8 years in front of Lincoln Riley.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I know denial of interest statements from coaches are usually meaningless, but Riley’s sounded pretty weak

Feb 23, 2008
Talk about a waste of resources. He’s done nothing to prove he’s worth it.

Yeah he’s put Oklahoma in the playoffs and we’ve all seen how that always finishes. Given their schedule, I’d say there’s 20 other coaches who could have just as easily put them in the playoffs just to get their asses handed to them. I just don’t see what’s so great about him.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I might say differently of I were really in the situation but I don't know they could pay me enough to deal with that fan base unless I had a written agreement of total control and a large budget for staff. It's a totally different world now with NIL, talk and podcasts shows. The pressure AND expectations of those crazy folks is unreal.

Then only thing worse would be if you can you imagine Saban telling the brass he has decided to retire. Popcorn sales would go thru the roof and Alabama trauma centers would be full.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
With the photographic memory Lincoln is known for, I'd think they'd want to keep him as far away from LSU athletics as possible.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Yeah he’s put Oklahoma in the playoffs and we’ve all seen how that always finishes. Given their schedule, I’d say there’s 20 other coaches who could have just as easily put them in the playoffs just to get their asses handed to them. I just don’t see what’s so great about him.

I work with an OU guy that would not be upset if Riley left. He is not impressed.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bad hire. This "hot shot young offensive wiz" stuff has blown its load. He's gotten progressively worse at Oklahoma over his time there.

I hope it happens. I guess it makes sense if you're Riley, if you believe that a school recruits itself. I guess he will find out quickly that it doesn't (at least to an elite level), just like Danny Boy did.

I think he's a better fit in the NFL.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Yes and no. They are certainly overpaying at that price. But Riley has shown that if you hand him the keys to a nice car, he won't wreck it. LSU is a nice car and I think this is the equivalent of A&M hiring Jimbo. The big difference is that Riley hasn't shown he can pull a program up like Jimbo, but on the other hand, it's not clear Riley and his offense won't be elite with LSU's talent.

THe biggest problem with it is there are probably a half dozen coaches that you could argue would be just as good that wouldn't require 8 years at $12M per. I don't see any reason to commit the bank like that to somebody that hasn't won a national championship.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Also excited about the possibility of this hire. LSU will regret it and they'll be paying out even more millions.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think he's kind of overrated, but the question is, who are they going to get that's any better? In any case, he's a big upgrade over Orgeron and could win a national championship at LSU.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Here are the NFL draft picks Riley has had access to while at OU. If you count Hurts, he had 3 current NFL starting QBs in his system in the last 5 years with no playoff wins:

2021263Creed HumphreyChiefsC
396Ronnie PerkinsPatriotsDE
4120Rhamondre StevensonPatriotsRB
4137Tre BrownSeahawksCB
7245Tre NorwoodSteelersDB
2020117CeeDee LambCowboysWR
123Kenneth MurrayChargersLB
253Jalen HurtsEaglesQB
382Neville GallimoreCowboysDL
201911Kyler MurrayCardinalsQB
125Marquise BrownRavensWR
238Cody FordBillsOL
397Bobby EvansRamsOL
4114Dru SamiaVikingsOL
4123Ben PowersRavensOL
5170Austin SeibertBrownsPK
6211Rodney AndersonBengalsRB
201811Baker MayfieldBrownsQB
383Orlando BrownRavensOL
386Mark AndrewsRavensTE
5160Ogbonnia OkoronkwoRamsLB
2017248Joe MixonBengalsRB
4110Dede WestbrookJaguarsWR
4114Samaje PerineRedskinsRB
6193Jordan EvansBengalsLB

<tbody style="overflow-wrap: break-word; box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>

I think the term overrated could and should be applied.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think he's kind of overrated, but the question is, who are they going to get that's any better? In any case, he's a big upgrade over Orgeron and could win a national championship at LSU.
I'd use the same formula that won 3 national titles for them - a super recruiter. Saban is more of a micro-manager fundamental coach, and Miles and Orgeron are just position coaches who delegated and concentrated on recruiting. But they all placed most of their emphasis on recruiting.

Orgeron could have been fine......he just let **** go to his head.

I think I'd opt for the Matt Campbell or Billy Napier route.

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
From Riley's perspective, he'll be in the SEC at LSU or OU soon playing the same level of competition. Does he want to do that at OU for less money than at LSU? Hhhmmmm. Seems like an easy decision.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I hope he takes it. He's extremely overrated and does less with more than any coach in the country.
The guy had Kyler Murray, Ceedee Lamb, Hollywood Brown and 4 starting olineman that were drafted to the NFL and didn't do **** with them.
Please, LSU, please hire him

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login