Rumor on Kiffin

Sep 9, 2012
I got nothing on Kiffin. Just wanted to see how long it would take oxfordrebel22 to fetch the Superman cape from out of his closet.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I assume it looks like the cape Michael PS Hayes would wear to the ring during his time with the Fabulous Freebirds.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I'm sure he is currently over on Inside the Rebels calling State stupid nicknames, and showing his true colors before coming back over here to try an act like he looks at both sides with some sort of common sense instead of the mentality of a 5th grader with the "moo U" nonsense

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I know he hasn’t commented, but I promise you he saw this thread within 5 minutes of you posting.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
Just saw this thread. I’m glad to have fans, I guess? If I actually get under yalls skin, then you just need to not allow any non-MSU fans on here. Which would be understandable. But, you allow other fans on here, and I feel I’m about as respectful as I can be. Some of you are just Charmin soft and have such an Ole Miss complex you can’t form a rational thought. I get it, plenty of Ole Miss fans are the same way, which is why I’ve said I like this board, because most aren’t that way.

I’m sorry that Kiffin hasn’t taken the Miami job, yet. But it’s gonna be ok, buddy. As far as the goofy *** comment about being on Inside the Rebels calling you names - 1) why would you care? 2) we actually had a thread on this very board, last week, where I brought up how stupid that is and others, I believe in this very thread, agreed, and 3) go check anything I post over there, I’ll gladly defend it if you feel it important. Obviously I likely have a different tone on that board than here, because again, I try to be respectful.

Maybe Kiffin will be gone soon so some of you will quit having to check under your beds for him, at night.

Sep 9, 2012
Just saw this thread. I’m glad to have fans, I guess? If I actually get under yalls skin, then you just need to not allow any non-MSU fans on here. Which would be understandable. But, you allow other fans on here, and I feel I’m about as respectful as I can be. Some of you are just Charmin soft and have such an Ole Miss complex you can’t form a rational thought. I get it, plenty of Ole Miss fans are the same way, which is why I’ve said I like this board, because most aren’t that way.

I’m sorry that Kiffin hasn’t taken the Miami job, yet. But it’s gonna be ok, buddy. As far as the goofy *** comment about being on Inside the Rebels calling you names - 1) why would you care? 2) we actually had a thread on this very board, last week, where I brought up how stupid that is and others, I believe in this very thread, agreed, and 3) go check anything I post over there, I’ll gladly defend it if you feel it important. Obviously I likely have a different tone on that board than here, because again, I try to be respectful.

Maybe Kiffin will be gone soon so some of you will quit having to check under your beds for him, at night.

TLDR. You take this way too seriously.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
There is a difference in being respectful and being fake. Don’t come here and say the name calling and all the immature rival **** is ridiculous and then go back to 247 and act like the poster you claim to not like on here

patdog

May 28, 2007
Seriously? I'm pretty sure if Oklahoma decides they want our coach, we're not going to be able to outbid them to keep him. Riley was making $7.5M/year at Oklahoma. They'd easily go that high or higher for their target coach if they have to.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Oxfordrebel22 is right. Ya'll are soft. He's nothing compared to the bears who used to troll here with impunity back in the day.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

You are a Bear on a Miss State message board. I am sure you expect a certain degree of abuse.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Seriously? I'm pretty sure if Oklahoma decides they want our coach, we're not going to be able to outbid them to keep him. Riley was making $7.5M/year at Oklahoma. They'd easily go that high or higher for their target coach if they have to.
You sound like Bo Bounds. It's not always as simple as School A is better than School B.

I'll go on record saying that Leach is not leaving MSU for anybody barring something idiotic, like someone doubling his salary which won't happen.

Lane Kiffin isn't leaving either, unless Miami comes calling (or USC/UCLA/Florida a few years from now). Possibly Washington/Oregon/Cal/Stanford.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Guess how many coaches have ever missed the Conerly Trophy night that weren't fired or leaving?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree that Leach isn't leaving. I fully expect him to retire from Mississippi State in about 5-10 years. Just making the point that there are some simple realities, and one of them is that Oklahoma is a top 10 job, both in terms of football tradition and in terms of revenue. Whoever they target as their next coach, they won't be outbid.

Pretty much agree about Kiffin too. I think he might take the Miami job if it comes open and he's offered (it's not open and without an AD it may not be, even if it is supposedly their 1st target would be the Oregon coach). People have been trying to say he's leaving ever since he got there. But like with Mullen, it's not that easy. There just aren't that many schools that can hire a coach away from an MSU or UM, and those jobs don't necessarily come open that often and they're hard to get when they do. And I don't think Kiffin is trying to get out of Oxford nearly as hard as Mullen was trying to get out of Starkville.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Agreed, Besides anyone with the signature of Non-Servant Heart Haver has got to have a healthy sense of humor.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agree that Leach isn't leaving. I fully expect him to retire from Mississippi State in about 5-10 years. Just making the point that there are some simple realities, and one of them is that Oklahoma is a top 10 job, both in terms of football tradition and in terms of revenue. Whoever they target as their next coach, they won't be outbid.
I think Oklahoma may have a reckoning coming. Just like Nebraska and others. If you aren't located in a fertile territory, it's just hard to get it done. And it's not that they won't remain viable and attractive, but can they get the BEST? And if they can't for a number of years, then they start sliding in reputation.

I know there are exceptions, so don't list off places like Oregon to say I'm wrong. The odds are clearly against Oklahoma remaining a superpower in the SEC. They'll be more like Tennessee. I assume they get most of their talent from Texas, which overall is soft. Are they going to come into the South and take our players like it's 1982? I can't see that. They may get some but that'd be an extremely difficult recruiting pursuit, to find all the guys throughout the Southeast that want to get out of town.

It's pretty clear Lincoln Riley saw this, and he's at Ground Zero.

And I don't think Kiffin is trying to get out of Oxford nearly as hard as Mullen was trying to get out of Starkville.
I do, but while I say that, I don't think either of them are/were actively trying. They just have jobs that they know they'll take. And they are trying to get raises. Both are/were hired guns, and both are/were perfect fits for their schools, though they may not see it that way. Most people usually don't.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Oklahoma won't be as dominant in the SEC as they are in the Big 12, but they're not going to be Nebraska or Tennessee either. They'll be right there in that tier with A&M, Auburn, LSU, Florida and UGA (and Texas if they ever get their heads out of their asses). For the most part, they'll win 8-9 games, with some championship seasons and some pretty mediocre ones.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Oklahoma won't be as dominant in the SEC as they are in the Big 12, but they're not going to be Nebraska or Tennessee either. They'll be right there in that tier with A&M, Auburn, LSU, Florida and UGA (and Texas if they ever get their heads out of their asses). For the most part, they'll win 8-9 games, with some championship seasons and some pretty mediocre ones.
That 25-year clock is ticking on that 2000 national title. Fortunately for them, they've been in the weak Big 12 so they've bolstered their image by making playoff appearances and winning conference titles. Just seems like they have a shelf life. I could also see the Pokes taking over the Big 12 and getting a little momentum around there.

They are definitely a well-established brand. And Oklahoma City is a thriving place, but it's not 'cool' or anything to recruits, outside OU football.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Pretty much agree about Kiffin too. I think he might take the Miami job if it comes open and he's offered (it's not open and without an AD it may not be, even if it is supposedly their 1st target would be the Oregon coach). People have been trying to say he's leaving ever since he got there. But like with Mullen, it's not that easy. There just aren't that many schools that can hire a coach away from an MSU or UM, and those jobs don't necessarily come open that often and they're hard to get when they do. And I don't think Kiffin is trying to get out of Oxford nearly as hard as Mullen was trying to get out of Starkville.

That's just not true. Yes, they can outbid anybody but other blue bloods, but there is just the reality that a proven coach at a second tier P5 school is worth more to that second tier school than they are to a blue blood, unless the blue blood is for some reason panics or just convinces themselves that they have to have one particular coach. If Mullen had wanted to stay in Starkville and had just wanted to make more than Florida would pay, we possibly would have been willing to pay him more than Florida, despite UF having much more ability to pay. And the only reason that isn't a "probably" statement is that UF had already struck out on some of their higher names, so they probably would have overpaid to get Dan at that point.

Same thing with Oklahoma. We're probably not bought in on Leach to the point that we will overpay enough that Oklahoma decides to look elsewhere, but if Oklahoma wanted Kiffen and he wasn't fired up to go there, I think Ole Miss would pay him $10M if it took that and I would assume Oklahoma wouldn't want Kiffin at >$10M per year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
When has a Mississippi State level program outbid an Oklahoma level program to keep a coach?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
When has a Mississippi State level program outbid an Oklahoma level program to keep a coach?

When has a Mississippi state level program had a coach that wanted to stay if the money was equal? It's usually the case that coaches would take the same or even less pay just to have the chance to win bigger. Have any bluebloods tried to hire Gundy? Or did they ever try to hire Beamer?

It seems like the few times there is a possibility a coach would stick with his current employer over money, they aren't visibly getting offers. Not sure if that's because blue bloods back off when they find out it's not just about money or if the lack of interest by blue bloods creates the perception of loyalty.

ETA: Not that Miami is a blue blood anymore, but they could have outbid us for Dan, but were not willing to and then essentially were offended that he wanted more than his then current salary to come to Miami.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
When has a Mississippi state level program had a coach that wanted to stay if the money was equal? It's usually the case that coaches would take the same or even less pay just to have the chance to win bigger. Have any bluebloods tried to hire Gundy? Or did they ever try to hire Beamer?

It seems like the few times there is a possibility a coach would stick with his current employer over money, they aren't visibly getting offers. Not sure if that's because blue bloods back off when they find out it's not just about money or if the lack of interest by blue bloods creates the perception of loyalty.

ETA: Not that Miami is a blue blood anymore, but they could have outbid us for Dan, but were not willing to and then essentially were offended that he wanted more than his then current salary to come to Miami.
Seems like Danny took nearly the same amount of money at Florida too. Maybe it was a small raise, can't remember exactly. He certainly didn't leave for the money.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Seems like Danny took nearly the same amount of money at Florida too. Maybe it was a small raise, can't remember exactly. He certainly didn't leave for the money.

My understanding is that if Dan had wanted to stay, we would have kept going up. That's one of those things that's easy to say and more or less impossible to prove, so not sure how much trust to put in that info.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There's a limit to how far any school "keep going up." And our limit is a lot lower than Florida's is. Or Oklahoma's.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Finebaum joked on the Dan Patrick Show that the only thing that could top this week's craziness is for Saban to retire and Bama to hire Kiffen

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
There's a limit to how far any school "keep going up." And our limit is a lot lower than Florida's is. Or Oklahoma's.

Of course it is. But there is a difference between the limit of how far a school will go and how far they can go. With all the TV money flowing in, non-bluebloods can, if they choose to, pay enough that blue bloods decide there are better investments elsewhere. That may change if this years insane contracts really reset the base level of expectations for blue blood jobs, but State and Ole Miss have been paying competitively compared to all but a handful of coaches.

was21

May 29, 2007
That may not be as much a joke as he intended it to be...or maybe he wasn't joking.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login