RUMOR: The Mississippi State banner is gone from the basketball uniforms

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Block State all damn day.
You Got It Reaction GIF by Ford

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't mind either uniform, honestly, even though I really don't like &tate on anything other than a baseball jersey. It's tolerable on basketball uniforms (especially women's), and horrible on helmets. Block STATE looks pretty good, and could be on the helmets too, in my mind.

I REALLY hate the &tate on the walls, fields, stadiums, and everywhere else they are putting it to replace our 25-year old, most successful athletic symbol, and university official logo.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
State is a Michigan State thing in basketball. I wish we would go with a simple Mississippi State pretty much like the 1996 look
I found the white version.... oh no wait.... that is .... which State again?
Eh, that part doesn't bother me too much. Leaning into 'State' is a good thing. But doing it with & is stupid.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Eh, that part doesn't bother me too much. Leaning into 'State' is a good thing. But doing it with & is stupid.
I agree. The "&" is awful. I don't mind State on a uniform. I'm pretty sure we had that same font State and just State on the basketball uniform in Richard Williams first few years.

But my post was in response to the "branding as State" line trotted out by somebody. I assume &elmon.

For the 100x time getting rid of the descriptive, unique logos and going with "&tate" on all things to "brand as State" is dumb AF. It's like if Coke or Pepsi decided to brand as "cola".

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But my post was in response to the "branding as State" line trotted out by somebody. I assume &elmon.

For the 100x time getting rid of the "banner M" and going with "&tate" on all things to "brand as State" is dumb AF. It's like if Coke or Pepsi decided to brand as "cola".
I'm telling you man, it makes me so damn mad. It's one of the reason why I've had to wash my hands of a lot of things re-MSU. Our fans don't understand how important branding really is. To them, it's just another change, as we've done throughout our (unsuccessful) history.

Reading that, you'd think it's all Salmon. But it's not - it started with Keenum. Once we won that national title, of course we're going to get all inferior, think he need to change again, and try and go all-in with that &tate and abandon our solid, recognizable logo that serves academics AND athletics, an obvious advantage. But NOPE. And the &tate it looks like Ole Miss, who is obviously our idols in the eyes of the inferior segment of our fanbase (apparently the majority). And honestly, it was fine to experiment with it a little bit, which we did in 2021 and 2022. But Cohen had about put the clamps on it as the official athletics logo, because he had a brain. But once he was out of the picture, Keenum pushed it again and got Salmon to carry it out.

It's a damn shame. So much self-affliction. People say we need to pick a logo and stick with it. WE HAD DONE THAT, FOR 25 DAMN YEARS.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I agree. The "&" is awful. I don't mind State on a uniform. I'm pretty sure we had that same font State and just State on the basketball uniform in Richard Williams first few years.

For the 100x time getting rid of the descriptive, unique logos and going with "&tate" on all things to "brand as State" is dumb AF. It's like if Coke or Pepsi decided to brand as "cola".
Akshooahly, it’d be similar if we went with “University“. What MSU is doing is the equivalent of Coca-Cola going with “Coke”.

TPIPER36

May 19, 2023
The basketball uniforms should just be what we have in the middle of the court. Basically just the 2003-2012 look

StealYourState

Nov 9, 2023
I'm telling you man, it makes me so damn mad. It's one of the reason why I've had to wash my hands of a lot of things re-MSU. Our fans don't understand how important branding really is. To them, it's just another change, as we've done throughout our (unsuccessful) history.

Reading that, you'd think it's all Salmon. But it's not - it started with Keenum. Once we won that national title, of course we're going to get all inferior, think he need to change again, and try and go all-in with that &tate and abandon our solid, recognizable logo that serves academics AND athletics, an obvious advantage. But NOPE. And the &tate it looks like Ole Miss, who is obviously our idols in the eyes of the inferior segment of our fanbase (apparently the majority). And honestly, it was fine to experiment with it a little bit, which we did in 2021 and 2022. But Cohen had about put the clamps on it as the official athletics logo, because he had a brain. But once he was out of the picture, Keenum pushed it again and got Salmon to carry it out.

It's a damn shame. So much self-affliction. People say we need to pick a logo and stick with it. WE HAD DONE THAT, FOR 25 DAMN YEARS.
Oh I understand how important branding is, which is why we needed a change from a logo that was constantly tweaked over 25 years bc of how bad it was. The only thing recognizable about the banner M was:

1. its A is off-center
2. It looks like a butterfly
3. It consistently ended up on worst logo lists

The whole thing of “consistency” being a good thing goes out the window when the branding is garbage. And you saying that John Cohen had a brain instantly negates any point you’re trying to make.

We’re not a corporation, we’re an athletics program that needs to make its target market that’s been with it and will be with it, happy. Which changing that logo clearly did bc you see people buying the script in bulk.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Oh I understand how important branding is, which is why we needed a change from a logo that was constantly tweaked over 25 years bc of how bad it was. The only thing recognizable about the banner M was:

1. its A is off-center
2. It looks like a butterfly
3. It consistently ended up on worst logo lists

The whole thing of “consistency” being a good thing goes out the window when the branding is garbage. And you saying that John Cohen had a brain instantly negates any point you’re trying to make.

We’re not a corporation, we’re an athletics program that needs to make its target market that’s been with it and will be with it, happy. Which changing that logo clearly did bc you see people buying the script in bulk.
I've never seen our fanbase more disengaged than they are right now. Compared to our peers, we are in Croom territory. The only things savings us at the moment are SEC money and Chris Jans (and he will likely leave as soon as he can).

StealYourState

Nov 9, 2023
I've never seen our fanbase more disengaged than they are right now. Compared to our peers, we are in Croom territory. The only things savings us at the moment are SEC money and Chris Jans (and he will likely leave as soon as he can).
You serious? You must not have been a fan for that long. And that has what to do with branding? Actually your boy Cohen is responsible for the valley we’re currently in. I’d list all the reasons but I’m not sure it can handle all the text.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You serious? You must not have been a fan for that long. And that has what to do with branding? Actually your boy Cohen is responsible for the valley we’re currently in. I’d list all the reasons but I’m not sure it can handle all the text.
It's all tied together - morale, image, perception. Only the mouth breathers don't understand that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login