Sam Ponder and RG3 shown the door at ESPN

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As much as I hate "well what about...", hasn't fox news had a comedy/talk show for years? Maybe on friday nights or something?
Not really related to the original point, but how dumb are people running CNN? Fox has a comedy show (Gutfield something or other) and I think it outdraws the major late night shows (although it's an hour earlier I believe) because it is the only "newsy" comedy show in its lane. The left has the Daily Show, plus the Tonight Show, the Late Show, whatever Jimy Kimmel's show is called, and Bill Maher and I guess John Stewart is back doing something and there are probably several others that are too small for me to even know of (does the unfunny blond haired "comedian" still have a show on Comedy central? Or is there some other daily show spinoff that replaced it?). So CNN is undoubtedly looking at Gutfield and thinking they want some of that, without thinking maybe Gutfield gets big ratings because he doesn't have any competition in his lane, so they are going to try to do "Gutfield, but on the left", too dumb to understand that there are already half a dozen of those shows.

I guess CNN's brand is probably damaged enough outside of the left that people in the middle and on the right wouldn't believe them if they said they were pivoting to the middle and pivoting to the middle would probably just piss off its relatively few remaining viewers, but you'd think somebody would have gotten tired of watching fox capture an outsized market just by having a different bias than every other network. I guess that's what OWN (or ONW? whatever network) is doing.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Not really related to the original point, but how dumb are people running CNN? Fox has a comedy show (Gutfield something or other) and I think it outdraws the major late night shows (although it's an hour earlier I believe) because it is the only "newsy" comedy show in its lane. The left has the Daily Show, plus the Tonight Show, the Late Show, whatever Jimy Kimmel's show is called, and Bill Maher and I guess John Stewart is back doing something and there are probably several others that are too small for me to even know of (does the unfunny blond haired "comedian" still have a show on Comedy central? Or is there some other daily show spinoff that replaced it?). So CNN is undoubtedly looking at Gutfield and thinking they want some of that, without thinking maybe Gutfield gets big ratings because he doesn't have any competition in his lane, so they are going to try to do "Gutfield, but on the left", too dumb to understand that there are already half a dozen of those shows.

I guess CNN's brand is probably damaged enough outside of the left that people in the middle and on the right wouldn't believe them if they said they were pivoting to the middle and pivoting to the middle would probably just piss off its relatively few remaining viewers, but you'd think somebody would have gotten tired of watching fox capture an outsized market just by having a different bias than every other network. I guess that's what OWN (or ONW? whatever network) is doing.
I'm not really sure who watches CNN at this point other than really old people and that's just what they've watched for 25 years. They pay the comcast or directv bill, and watch Bonanaza for the 4 hours a day it comes on, and otherwise it's CNN. Obv fox has their share of these type viewers as well, and I guess msnbc must albeit to a far lesser extent.

Every so often I'll watch the main 3 cable news networks for just a few minutes - fox is by far the most "entertaining", even as it's usually an almost stations-of-the-cross nightly procession of grievances. They almost seem like an aging musician who still puts asses in the seats because they give the audience exactly what it wants.

I legit don't know how people watch msnbc - it's just boring.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Does everything have to be part of some grand cultural conspiracy?
It must be exhausting having to constantly figure out what I need to be outraged about today. But then again, people seem to loving jumping from one conspiracy to the next.

It’s funny to me that after years of making fun of liberals and snowflakes, it sure seems like the right is more fragile than the left now.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'm not really sure who watches CNN at this point other than really old people and that's just what they've watched for 25 years. They pay the comcast or directv bill, and watch Bonanaza for the 4 hours a day it comes on, and otherwise it's CNN. Obv fox has their share of these type viewers as well, and I guess msnbc must albeit to a far lesser extent.

Every so often I'll watch the main 3 cable news networks for just a few minutes - fox is by far the most "entertaining", even as it's usually an almost stations-of-the-cross nightly procession of grievances. They almost seem like an aging musician who still puts asses in the seats because they give the audience exactly what it wants.

I legit don't know how people watch msnbc - it's just boring.
I can feel my IQ draining away when watching cable news, especially Fox.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
As much as I hate "well what about...", hasn't fox news had a comedy/talk show for years? Maybe on friday nights or something?

I looked over my post. I didn't see Fox News anywhere. Thanks, but I wasn't talking about anybody else. I was using CNN as an example of what news used to be. Now, it's just commentary, whatever channel you're using.

Police
rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I did find it funny watching Twitter after all of the Disney movie announcements. We are bringing RDJ back! Here are some movies we are announcing Frozen 3, Toy Story 5, Moana 2, Incredibles 3, Zootopia 2, They saw box office for Inside Out 2 and said, 17 it we’re bringing back the hits

sddefault.jpgimages.jpeg

hq720.jpg

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i grew up loving watching the news, probably makes me some kind of nerd, but i did... world news at 5:30, local at 6:00. i very rarely watched cable news unless something major had happened... i still like the local cause they just report the news, they don't offer their opinions on it... its actually kind of a novel concept, just report the news...

Reactions: mcdawg22

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023
Does everything have to be part of some grand cultural conspiracy?
In today's world.....yes. In the real world, **** goes on behind the scenes that we don't hear about all the time. It's about having a good PR person to smooth everything out. Not everything is as okie doke sunshine and roses as most are led to believe. I don't believe ONE thing I hear about on the national news. I question everything.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
In today's world.....yes. In the real world, **** goes on behind the scenes that we don't hear about all the time. It's about having a good PR person to smooth everything out. Not everything is as okie doke sunshine and roses as most are led to believe. I don't believe ONE thing I hear about on the national news. I question everything.
It’s all so pitiful. When I was growing up Walter Cronkite was the CBS news anchor. When Mr. Cronkite said something everyone believed it. He was a true honorable news person as far as I could tell. The news was the news. It was the same for Democrats and Republicans. Just report the truth and let the chips fall where they may. That was a long time ago, back when we only got one or two channels. You are correct. You can’t believe anything that any of them say and their manipulation of the news is one of the main reasons that we are so divided these days. That and the fact that we are surrounded by idiots.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
ESPN would be out of business if they did not control live sports.

This is Herbstreet, being as honest as he can.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's going to come as a shock to most cultural warriors that ESPN's big conspiracy is that they want to make money. (Same for Fox, and CNN, and on and on) A lot of it. And even when they do fire someone for "political views" it's because they have determined that the controversy over that person will cost them more money than keeping them. Or if they choose to keep someone after a controversy they have decided that keeping them will make more money than the controversy will cost them. It usually is about that simple.
Disney/espn would make a lot more money if they would cut the bullshchit. Have you followed Disney stocks? They have been tanking big time. Gee I wonder why that is? Been focused on a lot of things besides entertainment

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Something tells me RGIII will be just fine.

View attachment 628241
So he had a good college run, what's he done since then that amounted to anything other than fool ESPN into assuming he was a good sportscaster and take their money? He can't play sports any more, he's terrible on air. I'm sure he'll survive somewhere but he's just borderline cringe worthy, kinda weird

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Disney/espn would make a lot more money if they would cut the bullshchit. Have you followed Disney stocks? They have been tanking big time. Gee I wonder why that is? Been focused on a lot of things besides entertainment
Read post 28, then try a new narrative.

Reactions: dorndawg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Lock it down before it goes completely if the rails. And both sides need to separate religion from politics. If there is one thing in the world that has no right to claim the moral high ground it is ANY political party.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login