San Francisco

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
I’m flying out to the west coast tomorrow morning for a work conference/boondoggle. Will be landing at SFO and then driving up to Napa from there. Will be landing right at lunch time with several hours to kill. Looking for recommendations for a good lunch spot in San Fran or along the way. If in San Fran preferably somewhere relatively safe…though not sure if that exists out there anymore.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m flying out to the west coast tomorrow morning for a work conference/boondoggle. Will be landing at SFO and then driving up to Napa from there. Will be landing right at lunch time with several hours to kill. Looking for recommendations for a good lunch spot in San Fran or along the way. If in San Fran preferably somewhere relatively safe…though not sure if that exists out there anymore.
I hear the streets of San Francisco are perfect for street tacos and street meats

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Best Italian food I’ve ever had was in the North Beach area at Mona Lisa: https://g.co/kgs/3Niy4a

Seems like I had the Fettuccine Mona Lisa… but we had a big table and mostly got different stuff. It was all amazing.

Reactions: Independent George

KnoxvilleDawg

Aug 9, 2021
Was out there on business about a month ago. Had lunch one day at Bistro Boudin on Fisherman's Wharf. A little touristy, but the food was really good. They bake all their own sourdough bread on site. Another day I ate at a small bistro up in Sausilito over the Golden Gate Bridge. Can't remember the name though. The group I was with split up and ate at different places. Everyone said they got good food and service regardless of where they ate.

Polyganol

Feb 15, 2013
City View in Chinatown. Best dim sum ever.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Ive been there a lot.. when I started going there for work 20 years ago it was my favorite city in the country.

Now?… don’t 17ing do it.

Since you’re going to Napa anyway just drive straight across the GG Bridge. Get off at exit 442 for Sausalito. Drive down to the water eat at The Trident while taking in the scenery.

Then if it’s a clear day go straight up to the Marin Headlands which is a 10 minute drive and look across the entire Golden Gate and down onto SF and wonder what it must’ve been like to be there in the late 1800‘s.

If it’s a totally fogged out day just drive 25 minutes up to Muir Woods and pretend you’re looking for Ewoks.

But as for SF.. treat it like Malfunction Junction. Don’t never ever enter.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Don't forget to download the latest San Francisco feces map.

Attachments

• San-Fran-Feces-Map.jpg
    San-Fran-Feces-Map.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 10

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Don't know it well. Have had two lunches there. First was at Jitlada Thai and it was great. Next was a forgettable sushi place nearby.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Was out there on business about a month ago. Had lunch one day at Bistro Boudin on Fisherman's Wharf. A little touristy, but the food was really good. They bake all their own sourdough bread on site. Another day I ate at a small bistro up in Sausilito over the Golden Gate Bridge. Can't remember the name though. The group I was with split up and ate at different places. Everyone said they got good food and service regardless of where they ate.

We were in the SF area in July, when our daughter was at a lacrosse camp at Stanford. We drove up to Sausalito and spent a couple of hours in town. Didn't have anything to eat while we were there, but Sausalito is very cool and I highly recommend going by and checking it out. The drive into town is gorgeous, basically going down a mountain on winding roads down to the bay. Once you get there, park your car and walk the town. Just one main street with lots of bars, restaurants, shops, etc.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Yep, as others have mentioned, best to just stop in Sausalito. I lived in San Fran temporarily for a work project (FedEx) in the 90s. Was an amazing town, not so much now unless you have a lot of money.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Skip SFO and drive over the Bay Bridge and stop at Spenger's in Berkeley. On 580 and University...easy off, easy on. It's full name is Spenger's Fish Grotto.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

I Was there in 2019. It had begun its slide but still had alot of charm. It's just a shame. San Francisco was one of the most beautiful, unique, and charming cities not just here but in the world.

As far as food, it still have several Michelin starred restaurants to choose from if you're into that kind of thing. In & Out is trash. It is one thing I literally do not get. McDonald's is better. If you have kids with you, take them to Mission Delores park. It's a lot of fun and sits on a hill overlooking the city. Cliff House was a beautiful place to eat.

Or just go to Sausalito like everyone else says. And Muir Woods is cool.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Bodega Bay and Occidental are some of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. Both just west of Santa Rosa. Its like the Noxapater of Cali.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Ive been there a lot.. when I started going there for work 20 years ago it was my favorite city in the country.

Now?… don’t 17ing do it.

Since you’re going to Napa anyway just drive straight across the GG Bridge. Get off at exit 442 for Sausalito. Drive down to the water eat at The Trident while taking in the scenery.

Then if it’s a clear day go straight up to the Marin Headlands which is a 10 minute drive and look across the entire Golden Gate and down onto SF and wonder what it must’ve been like to be there in the late 1800‘s.

If it’s a totally fogged out day just drive 25 minutes up to Muir Woods and pretend you’re looking for Ewoks.

That sucks! Haven't been in years, but used to spend a couple of weeks a year there on business and it was a nice place to visit.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Hit the local CVS. All you can grab for free, up to $900. Hella good deal.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Best Italian food I’ve ever had was in the North Beach area at Mona Lisa: https://g.co/kgs/3Niy4a

Seems like I had the Fettuccine Mona Lisa… but we had a big table and mostly got different stuff. It was all amazing.
The whole North Beach area is basically their Little Italy. I’m sure that’s not the only good Italian food around there but so don’t doubt it was awesome. I had some really good meals the last time I was around those spots but can’t recall exactly where.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I have no specific recommendations, but the best overall restaurant area is supposedly the Mission District south of downtown. That’s where a lot of the new money from the Silicon Valley moved in when the boom started, and there are a ton of restaurants of all types to choose from.

North Beach area has tons of good Italian options.

For things besides food, you could either hit up the cool landmarks (Lombard Street, Coit Tower, etc.). I also really enjoyed the Land’s End hiking trail which wraps around the NW corner of the peninsula, with great views of the GG bridge and the ocean.

I’d also not worry too much about the “it’s gone downhill” crowd. It’s a big asś city, with the same pros / cons of any other big asś city, but it’s not inherently dangerous or unsafe compared to others. Don’t leave anything important in your car and just be aware, and you’ll be fine. If you can keep your wits about you in New Orleans or Memphis or Atlanta, you’ll have no issues at all in SF.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Many folks have given good advice here.

I used to go to the City when I had family living in the Bay Area.

The last time I was there was for a conference several years ago— so I mostly ate conference food but I did drop by this place:

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Have been to SF a few times the last few years (a few times with kids). Don’t understand all of the “don’t go into the city” talk. It’s a really cool city that seems relatively clean and safe and even quite accommodating for families - lots of green spaces and well designed parks.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Have been to SF a few times the last few years (a few times with kids). Don’t understand all of the “don’t go into the city” talk. It’s a really cool city that seems relatively clean and safe and even quite accommodating for families - lots of green spaces and well designed parks.
Its the homeless population and people in Mississippi being dumbasses about it. I was there maybe 3 months ago for a week. Great place to visit. Enjoy it. There literally is not a single place in Mississippi as nice as Napa or the Fisherman's Wharf areas. The entire city is better than anything in Mississippi. It is not a burnt down ruin of city that most Newsmax watchers believes it to be.

Just so you know, Newsmax is never telling you the truth about literally anything. Even when they are truth adjacent, they are 17n misleading you.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Its the homeless population and people in Mississippi being dumbasses about it. I was there maybe 3 months ago for a week. Great place to visit. Enjoy it. There literally is not a single place in Mississippi as nice as Napa or the Fisherman's Wharf areas. The entire city is better than anything in Mississippi. It is not a burnt down ruin of city that most Newsmax watchers believes it to be.

Just so you know, Newsmax is never telling you the truth about literally anything. Even when they are truth adjacent, they are 17n misleading you.

Damn man, adopt the Berkeley Bears and head out.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Tartine Bakery provided me one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. You won't regret it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It would be interesting to see the breakdown between those posters who understand this reference because they saw it, those who understand it because they were told about it, and those that don't understand it.

Reactions: Independent George
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login