Sanderson Center

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It was basically new when I was there. I did think the workout rooms were a little small. I pretty much went and played basketball in the back gym so everything else was gravy.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
When I went on my first visit to MSU in 1990 - I was told "we are breaking ground next year on a great new student rec center".
When I went to Orientation in the late summer of 1991 - I was told "we are breaking ground next year on a great new student rec center".
When I graduated in '94, there was an article in the Reflector about the future of a great new student rec center....

Needless to say, I have no faith that the remodel will finish on time.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Sanderson was built after I graduated. I've never set a foot inside, so I don't know how things were before this planned remodel. Sounds like it was built 25 yrs ago with very little attention to future needs. Any of you have any experience/thoughts on Sanderson during your time there?
Article:
https://www.reflector-online.com/news/article_351f9262-7141-11ee-8136-ff3f8d019415.html
It was a revelation when it opened. In my mind, the student body went from it not being common for your typical student to be in great shape, to it being the norm.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Sanderson was built after I graduated. I've never set a foot inside, so I don't know how things were before this planned remodel. Sounds like it was built 25 yrs ago with very little attention to future needs. Any of you have any experience/thoughts on Sanderson during your time there?
Article:
https://www.reflector-online.com/news/article_351f9262-7141-11ee-8136-ff3f8d019415.html
The sanderson has an entire 2nd phase planned for the area just south east of the current front entry. There were plenty of future needs planning that went with it. The problem is that they have never pulled the trigger on getting that second phase updated for the 2030 needs nor have they raised the money. All they have to do is ask, Lord McBuckethead Fitness Plaza has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: dorndawg

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The current renovation just reworks some existing spaces and adds a turf area to one of the basketball areas across from the free weights.
My version of the 2nd phase is awesome.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
When we moved to Starkville I joined as an alum/faculty member and went for about a year, yeah I was the older dude there on the back row of treadmills and bikes looking at all the talent in front of me. I quit going for one reason, it was just always dirty. I would go at 5:00 a.m. and you'd think it would be cleanest then but nope. The pool in particular was gross.

Last edited:

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
It was a revelation when it opened. In my mind, the student body went from it not being common for your typical student to be in great shape, to it being the norm.
This!! I practically lived there when i was not in class or at work. It was such an upgrade from what we had before. I even enjoyed getting dunked on regularly when i would try and go play basketball with the athletes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login