Sawyer Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talldawg21

Apr 14, 2014
This is will be unpopular to some but Sawyer needs to start, if it’s growing pain this year and even next year so be it. He needs to play, Leach highest recruited qb ever we don’t need him unhappy sitting on the bench and leave. FSU, Southern Cal, Texas all wanted this guy for a reason. From the scrimmage notes, he sounds like he was the best anyways. To make the air raid work in SEC we are going to need a mobile qb, Robertson gives you that, Rogers isn’t Peyton Manning running but he’s no Dak Prescott either. Rogers also doesn’t have the arm strength. I like Rogers, MS guy, seems like a good kid but I just don’t see it working. We ll revisit in couple weeks

Last edited:

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Leach will play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. All Sawyer Robertson has to do is beat out Rogers for the job.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Sawyer Robertson is nowhere near the best quarterback on the team per anyone that has watched practice and has no chance at starting nor should he. He scrimmaged against the 4th string defense today.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Get serious people. Rogers is the best we have. Might be a different story next season, but its Will or bust this year. Hopefully we can find a competent back up QB.

patdog

May 28, 2007
From what I'm hearing (meaning read on a message board), he's not ready to play in the SEC. I fully expect him to play in a couple of games and redshirt.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
He should start, you're right. Start learning the offense. He'll be a good one for us, just not now. Who knows, maybe mid season it'll click and you'll get your wish. Will is our guy right now. Be glad we have him.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is will be unpopular to some but Sawyer needs to start, if it’s growing pain this year and even next year so be it. He needs to play, Leach highest recruited qb ever we don’t need him unhappy sitting on the bench and leave. FSU, Southern Cal, Texas all wanted this guy for a reason. From the scrimmage notes, he sounds like he was the best anyways

View attachment 21349

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’ll admit that I’m honestly surprised so many people hate this post if only because a true sign that someone is a MSU football fan has long been being a big big fan of the backup QB…

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Daniel Greek the other freshman qb from Texas is probably our #2, he impressed in the spring game

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You're right Mr. Robertson, it's not a popular opinion. Redshirt yourself and your son and repost this next year

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
I’ll admit that I’m honestly surprised so many people hate this post if only because a true sign that someone is a MSU football fan has long been being a big big fan of the backup QB…

100%

I figured this out with Wayne Madkin and Matt Wyatt.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Wrong. Lovertich is #2 and it isn't even close with Abraham out of the picture.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Sawyer Robertson is nowhere near the best quarterback on the team per anyone that has watched practice and has no chance at starting nor should he. He scrimmaged against the 4th string defense today.

I'm not saying start Sawyer; but if he was facing the 4th string defense, wouldn't he have the 4th string offense around him?

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Sawyer just got to campus. He is the future and is very talented but:

He still is built like a HS kid. He needs a year in the strength & conditioning program. If he had been here since January working with the team that might be different.

Daniel Greek is full grown, his body is ready now and has been here working. He is still not ready to be the #1 guy. Rogers is that dude, you pkay the best QB. Competition will make em all better.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
I'm not saying start Sawyer; but if he was facing the 4th string defense, wouldn't he have the 4th string offense around him?

according to everyone that has watched him including our head coach Sawyer isn’t processing anything fast enough. The game speeds up a good bit when you are facing a bunch of sec ready players on defense instead of walk ons and other freshmen. In simple terms it is like putting the PlayStation on Heisman after having it on jv.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Anyone who doesn't realize that Rogers is easily #1 and Lovertich is easily #2 for the foreseeable future is just admitting they don't pay any attention at all, and don't know anything. This information isn't hard to find.

Next year, you may have a point. Robertson will be a year in, and will be a redshirt freshman, but Rogers will only be a sophomore. There's only room for one starting quarterback. I suspect the results of this year, plus Robertson's progression, will go a long way to figuring that out. But I do think we all need to prepare for at least one of them to transfer at some point. Got a Major Applewhite - Chris Simms situation on our hands, but they aren't there yet, both of them have a lot to prove. Rogers has to show he can make all the throws, and Robertson has to live up to the hype beyond just the measurables.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yes. It also means, as of now, he’s the 4th string QB.

Really, let’s be honest. Kind of us have a clue how good (or not good) he’ll be. Maybe he comes in kind of like Rogers did last year and takes over the starting job in the last half of the season. Or he could be stuck behind a more experienced QB for 3 years before starting his last 2. Or he could just never earn much playing time & transfer out. None of those would surprise me.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Have you seen Sawyer? He’s not exactly built like a HS kid. I’m sure Greek is ahead of him right now, but Sawyer showed up not looking like a hs qb. In two years he will be physically similar to Fitzgerald.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I feel sure you are right about it being a contest next year. In the long run Sawyer will be a better QB I think but he is not at all ready this year. Leach will start him when he is ready. I hate to see Will as #2 but it is what it is

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
Will is going to have to be able to push the ball down the field at times. There's only so many checkdowns I can take.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
We better hope that Will learns to throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield. If Lovertich gets meaningful snaps we may as well call it a season. Dude is vertically challenged and looked very very average for USA last year.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Here's a fun fact! No matter who starts for us within two weeks half the people on here will want a player on the bench to be our QB.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Cumbest is not currently starting. I'll stump for him at QB. He's a GD National Champion!

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This is will be unpopular to some but Sawyer needs to start, if it’s growing pain this year and even next year so be it. He needs to play, Leach highest recruited qb ever we don’t need him unhappy sitting on the bench and leave. FSU, Southern Cal, Texas all wanted this guy for a reason. From the scrimmage notes, he sounds like he was the best anyways. To make the air raid work in SEC we are going to need a mobile qb, Robertson gives you that, Rogers isn’t Peyton Manning running but he’s no Dak Prescott either. Rogers also doesn’t have the arm strength. I like Rogers, MS guy, seems like a good kid but I just don’t see it working. We ll revisit in couple weeks

The downvotes speak for themselves here....but to be clear, you are willing to throw away TWO full seasons of “growing pains” just to keep one guy from transferring? Did you think about this at all before putting it out for public consumption?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Here's a fun fact! No matter who starts for us within two weeks half the people on here will want a player on the bench to be our QB.
No doubt. I'm trying to remember how many times in the last 30 years or so that the backup was actually better than the starter, and stayed there and didn't end up getting benched himself within the next few years, and actually went out in a good place. Dak may be the only time ever, and even then (2013), Russell didn't do anything to lose the job. Sleepy would have kept it but the Indians got him. Fitzgerald SHOULD have, but our fans were too incredibly stupid to see through the idiocy of Sloppy Joe at the time, as most wanted to play Keytaon.

Who knows what fate awaits Rogers.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Have you seen Sawyer? He’s not exactly built like a HS kid. I’m sure Greek is ahead of him right now, but Sawyer showed up not looking like a hs qb. In two years he will be physically similar to Fitzgerald.

Sawyer is 6' 4" 200lbs or so and is an very good athlete that can sling it but he absolutely is built like a high school kid. If he had been here all summer, that would not be the case. He has not been, but give him a year and the dude may absolutely fill out to all you say. I think he may have even challenged for the starting position had he been here since January.

No, I don't go to practices, no I am not fighting him. Lots of HS kids could whip my butt, I am only 5 9 1/2" 195lbs of fat almost 60 year old man. But he is not going up against me. He is going up against SEC D-Lineman trying to break him in half if they get the chance. Throwing a QB out there too soon can ruin them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login