Sawyer Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Sawyer needs a year to get the offense down

Sawyer is 6' 4" 200lbs or so and is an very good athlete that can sling it but he absolutely is built like a high school kid. If he had been here all summer, that would not be the case. He has not been, but give him a year and the dude may absolutely fill out to all you say. I think he may have even challenged for the starting position had he been here since January.

No, I don't go to practices, no I am not fighting him. Lots of HS kids could whip my butt, I am only 5 9 1/2" 195lbs of fat almost 60 year old man. But he is not going up against me. He is going up against SEC D-Lineman trying to break him in half if they get the chance. Throwing a QB out there too soon can ruin them.

He's going to be a good to great QB at some point at State. No pressure on him this year to settle in (I love the redshirt system that Croom expanded). He'll be back next year as a RS Freshman and will push for the starting position and may take it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
No doubt. I'm trying to remember how many times in the last 30 years or so that the backup was actually better than the starter, and stayed there and didn't end up getting benched himself within the next few years, and actually went out in a good place. Dak may be the only time ever, and even then (2013), Russell didn't do anything to lose the job. Sleepy would have kept it but the Indians got him. Fitzgerald SHOULD have, but our fans were too incredibly stupid to see through the idiocy of Sloppy Joe at the time, as most wanted to play Keytaon.

Who knows what fate awaits Rogers.

One constant during the 1998 and 1999 seasons was that whoever we had in at quarterback was eventually going to get booed either walking on or walking off the field.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Finished dead last in the country in yds/att

He looked exactly the same, if not worse, during the spring game. That is my concern. It was like he wasn't seeing anything past the primary receiver and then it was automatically look for Marks. I know some Rogers homers will tout completion percentage and # of completions, but hell there were a couple of games where he was nearing 30 completions and not even 150 yards passing. That just doesn't work when you have no running game.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He looked exactly the same, if not worse, during the spring game. That is my concern. It was like he wasn't seeing anything past the primary receiver and then it was automatically look for Marks. I know some Rogers homers will tout completion percentage and # of completions, but hell there were a couple of games where he was nearing 30 completions and not even 150 yards passing. That just doesn't work when you have no running game.
Well, on the other hand, if the drop 8 zone is being run every game on us like it was last year, he will definitely be checking down many times per game and theoretically, we should have success with it.

Bottom line, I really just don't know what to expect from Leach. It's a totally different dynamic that I never thought would work here, but I am definitely trying to have an open mind about it. I do think he will need to do SOME adapting (though not wholesale) similar to what Spurrier did at South Carolina, once he realized he had a different kind of talent than at Florida.

If Leach tries to make us into what he made Wazzou, we won't succeed. We need to be a little more physical version of Texas Tech. We just aren't ever going to win track meets, no matter what Bo Bounds says about 'modern football'. Common sense coaches have known these things for years. There is always innovation, but the basics stay the same.

Last edited:

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I guess our coach is a homer too

Since he is the one commenting on him as our starter. BTW, most of the 150 yards passing was to our RBs which is basically the running game in the Leach offense. I'm hearing we will see more running plays this year if teams continue the 3-8 defense.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I keep hearing this but passing the ball to a running back in the flat is NOT a substitute for a running game.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I keep hearing this but passing the ball to a running back in the fiat is NOT a substitute fit a running game.
I tend to agree. If nothing else, there's just not the same level of aggression and down-hill power. You don't hill holes as hard. And a bigger chance of a turnover, the more the ball is tossed around. If the run is wide open due to a team selling out for the pass, well, ANY coach, even an Air Raid coach, surely has the sense to take advantage of that.

Again, not talking wholesale changes to Mike Leach's offense (idiots will say, "wElL wE dIdNt HiReZ hIm To NoT rUnZ hIs OfFeNsE!!!111"). I'm talking slight modifications to something that will physically work, given SEC competition.

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
6’4 200lbs means he needs about 20lbs of muscle if he is going to absorb SEC hits. I’m of similar build and have 20lbs I could spare him, but it’s not exactly muscle.

Dawgology

Sep 15, 2011
Right now it’s: 1:Rogers 2:Lovertich 3: Sawyer 4: Greek. I expect Sawyer to get a RS this year but still take some snaps. I expect Greek to see the writing on the wall during the off season.

Aug 28, 2018
While I agree there's a difference, 3yds a play is 3yds a play, regardless of how you gain it. If we were a running offense and always gained 3 yds, we'd get tired of that too.

I'd rather see a 3rd and 7 check down to gain 3 yds than a 3rd and 7 run for 3 yds. My point above still stands though.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Daniel Greek the other freshman qb from Texas is probably our #2, he impressed in the spring game

Greek is #1 on the hot mom index... I assume. I actually haven't checked out all of the QB mom talent, tbh.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I had to get in on the downvotes…

I actually feel like Rogers will have a really good year. I am baffled at the amount of people that seem to have a down opinion of him. I thought he looked really poised for a freshman. Being able to push the ball downfield is not all him. OL has to block better and receives have to get open. From what I saw, accuracy is not an issue with Rogers.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'm generally positive on him as well

Mostly because his returning O-line should be much better than last year. And it's nice to know our #2 has an all time record of 56-1 as a QB even if he hasn't played SEC football.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I think he will have a pretty good year too. True freshman thrown into a mess with freshmen all around him learning a new system with no spring practice. Yeah, he was amazing considering. Sawyer will take that job from him next year most likely tho. And comparing WSU to MSU is a real stretch. Leach never had players like this in Pullman. Yes he never faced competition week in and week out like this either tho. We will have to see how it balances out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If all you look at is yards per play, no one would ever run the football. And nobody is saying you run the ball on 3rd and 7. But you've got to at least establish the threat of running the football to make your passing game work.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Since he is the one commenting on him as our starter. BTW, most of the 150 yards passing was to our RBs which is basically the running game in the Leach offense. I'm hearing we will see more running plays this year if teams continue the 3-8 defense.

Sure then it’s 150 yards rushing without the threat of a pass. You are crazy if you don’t think 30 completions for 150 yards is not a problem. Teams are licking their chops if that is our production each week.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I agree, but its hard to hold the ball for a 30 yd pass when you have less than a second to throw. Our OL has to get a lot better. Rogers may not be able to throw it 80 yards but he can throw it far enough if he has time.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I feel like we need about 500 yards offense every game. I don't care how we get it as long as it comes with at least 4 touchdowns.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I thought Arch Manning said he was coming in next year to be our starting QB.***

Talldawg21

Apr 14, 2014
Once again, play the kid, unless you qb gurus are happy with 3 yard passes and a qb who can’t scramble and with our line needs to run for his life.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Yep. He still sucks and the spring wasn’t a mirage. He is what he is. Noodle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login