Schaefer on Mississippi State...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see anything in that article that speaks negatively toward Cohen. Ya'll should blame Schaefer - he's the one who left. He's also the one that choked away the 2018 national title. If he wins that game, things may turn out differently.

You can even hear it in what he said. His 'friends' told him it was career suicide when he took the job. So you know that when he was coming down off that run with Teira McCowan and them, it was in the back of his head that he needed to go to a 'big' job. But had we won that 2018 title, MSU would have become that big job and he's probably still here today.

Reactions: Whats_his_name

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If the heavily rumored reason that Schaefer left is true, you can't really blame Cohen. We're not going to risk getting in trouble with the Feds over women's basketball.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Our athletic department has always struggled with high performers. Whether it be Jackie, Dan, or Vic. It’s always been lil ole State and when someone from outside the network comes in and demands excellence from everyone in every department it totally disrupts the status quo and as an institution we aren’t able to handle it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our athletic department has always struggled with high performers. Whether it be Jackie, Dan, or Vic. It’s always been lil ole State and when someone from outside the network comes in and demands excellence from everyone in every department it totally disrupts the status quo and as an institution we aren’t able to handle it.
I actually think this makes a ton of sense in general. But not so much with Schaefer. He came in, built the program, didn't capitalize on his shot to win the natty, and then bailed for the easier job at 'home'. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not our fault. We supported his program completely and there was never a negative moment until he left for Austin. Of course, our fans then need someone to blame that on, so Cohen is the easy target.

I'm with you on Jackie, Danny and even Leach. Our fanbase doesn't understand football. There's something in the water there.

Reactions: Hot Rock

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, the lifers at State who dealt with Dan hated him.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Our athletic department also struggles with replacing those high performers with competent coaches when they leave (Croom, Moorhead, Penson, Ray, Arnett). Hopefully Selmon will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
This cuts both ways. In Dan and Vic's case, we gave them basically everything we could to be successful. Raises, staff, facilities, etc. And they won at heights neither program had ever done and we loved them for it. But at the end of the day, when they couldnt win the big one(s), they convinced themselves it was because they were at State, not their fault.

When we lost to ND in the championship game, Vic convinced himself he could never win a championship here and then began to make unreasonable demands in regards to family, etc.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Our athletic department also struggles with replacing those high performers with competent coaches when they leave (Croom, Moorhead, Penson, Ray, Arnett). Hopefully Selmon will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I feel like there’s a large contingent on this board that hopes, outside of football and men’s basketball, that Selmon doesn’t hire competent coaches because it would potentially take resources away from FB and MBK.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I don't see anything in that article that speaks negatively toward Cohen. Ya'll should blame Schaefer - he's the one who left. He's also the one that choked away the 2018 national title. If he wins that game, things may turn out differently.

You can even hear it in what he said. His 'friends' told him it was career suicide when he took the job. So you know that when he was coming down off that run with Teira McCowan and them, it was in the back of his head that he needed to go to a 'big' job. But had we won that 2018 title, MSU would have become that big job and he's probably still here today.
LOL

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I feel like there’s a large contingent on this board that hopes, outside of football and men’s basketball, that Selmon doesn’t hire competent coaches because it would potentially take resources away from FB and MBK.
Add baseball because of our history and tradition. Outside of that - the rest is for s hits and giggles. I want us to win but don't lose sleep over it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's hard to interpret the way he left as simply moving up in the world, though. Something happened.
Why? I think @Duke Humphrey summed it up well.

This cuts both ways. In Dan and Vic's case, we gave them basically everything we could to be successful. Raises, staff, facilities, etc. And they won at heights neither program had ever done and we loved them for it. But at the end of the day, when they couldnt win the big one(s), they convinced themselves it was because they were at State, not their fault.

When we lost to ND in the championship game, Vic convinced himself he could never win a championship here and then began to make unreasonable demands in regards to family, etc.
That's Occam's Razor.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

If Vic convinced himself that we couldn’t win a championship after snapping the UCONN streak then being the best team in the country for the entire season only to lose on a buzzer beater, then I question his emotional state.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Vic Schaefer on his time at Mississippi State: 'There's a piece of me that will always be a Bulldog' - On3

This might be the shining example of Cohen's ineptitude. I've heard Schaefer was hard to deal with and how much do you want to spend on a women's basketball coach where you get very little return but damn - Schaefer loved State. And that's hard to find someone what wants to be here after they are successful.
I read the article. Those are glittery words, but at the end of the day, he left of his own volition. He “built his dream house there, but never got to live in it” because he quit. Not fired. Quit.

We all know the rumors about Blair and Bibby. If those are true, then Cohen did the right thing. If he wanted to leave because Texas is “home”, then I’m not sure what else Cohen could have done. If Texas offered him more money and more resources, then there’s really nothing Cohen (or more than maybe 5 other AD’s in the country) could have done.

And I’m not a Cohen fan. I think he was a good, not great, baseball coach and a terrible AD, but Schaefer leaving is the one thing I feel like we can’t pin on him.

The athletic department and the fanbase put more money and effort and energy into women’s basketball (deservedly so) during Vic’s run than it ever had before and it wasn’t enough to keep him from leaving. I hope he stays stuck in round of 8 purgatory until he retires or gets future endeavored.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If Vic convinced himself that we couldn’t win a championship after snapping the UCONN streak then being the best team in the country for the entire season only to lose on a buzzer beater, then I question his emotional state.
Unfortunately, Vic knew he wasn't going to get that level of talent again just by selling a dream. You don't see a Vivians come from the state of MS, then supplement with a McCowan, his own daughter, Johnson, William, etc. That was an elite unit. I know we were good again in 2019 and sort of in 2020 but you could see that train dipping a bit.

Now, once you get a title, you then receive an injection of status. It's a phenomenon that happens moreso in football/basketball because those titles seem more elusive than baseball. That allows you to widen your recruiting net and maintain that elite status, if you are in fact a good coach, which we all know Schaefer was.

But alas, we didn't capitalize, so he decided to take his talents to Texas.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Vic Schaefer on his time at Mississippi State: 'There's a piece of me that will always be a Bulldog' - On3

This might be the shining example of Cohen's ineptitude. I've heard Schaefer was hard to deal with and how much do you want to spend on a women's basketball coach where you get very little return but damn - Schaefer loved State. And that's hard to find someone what wants to be here after they are successful.
Do Not Care Its Fine GIF by YoungerTV

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Add baseball because of our history and tradition. Outside of that - the rest is for s hits and giggles. I want us to win but don't lose sleep over it.
Yeah, but there are a lot of folks on here that think the baseball budget should be closer to volleyball or women’s tennis than basketball or that our next baseball hire should be a lot more Gary Henderson than Jim Schlossnagle.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm glad to see we've finally got this Schaefer thing completely figured out and put to bed.

Moving on to world peace...

Atrain0311

Aug 22, 2012
The Blair/Bibby rumor has been out there, but what were we doing to attract feds?
All the cryptic posts are hilarious. I understand that some things don’t need to be posted. But at this point either say what happened or leave it alone. And I’m on the leave it alone side as it seems as if whatever happened is so nuclear, it can’t be discussed in public.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
10 years too soon - ESPN will market and sell and grow college baseball and women's basketball. A few years from now we will watch all the drama induced she said / she said and the battles of racial undertones play out on the court with layups and 3 pointers with a small basketball

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You are wrong. There is more than enough to blame John Cohen on, but this aint one.
Meh, there was plenty to blame in the situation. I think Vic was negligent and asleep at the wheel on a few things, or maybe his ego was just too big, and I think Cohen managed it poorly. A little proactivity from all involved could've helped navigate through to a positive result.

Vic loved State and didn't really want to leave for Texas.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Unfortunately, Vic knew he wasn't going to get that level of talent again just by selling a dream. You don't see a Vivians come from the state of MS, then supplement with a McCowan, his own daughter, Johnson, William, etc. That was an elite unit. I know we were good again in 2019 and sort of in 2020 but you could see that train dipping a bit.
Now, once you get a title, you then receive an injection of status. It's a phenomenon that happens moreso in football/basketball because those titles seem more elusive than baseball. That allows you to widen your recruiting net and maintain that elite status, if you are in fact a good coach, which we all know Schaefer was.

But alas, we didn't capitalize, so he decided to take his talents to Texas.
Our recruiting rankings in women’s basketball from 2018-2020 blew our rankings from 2014-2017 out of the water. We were getting elite players like our first McDonalds All American Rickea Jackson, most of our signees were in the ESPN top 100, and we were showing up on “my final 5” lists with UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford.

He could get the talent here. It’s why he poached State commits/signees on his way out the door.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Meh, there was plenty to blame in the situation. I think Vic was negligent and asleep at the wheel on a few things, or maybe his ego was just too big, and I think Cohen managed it poorly. A little proactivity from all involved could've helped navigate through to a positive result.

Vic loved State and didn't really want to leave for Texas.
But he did and this is going on what 5 years and 2.5 coaches later...17 him, horns down, can we please move on from talking about his ***

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm really getting bored of this thread starting over and over again.

We have to move forward eventually.

We have bigger fish to fry now... have you looked at the new SEC?
I am as well. It was a rhetorical question though, because saying someone “loved State and didn’t want to leave for Texas” does not hold water under any other scenario.

The above 2 hypothetical scenarios aside, he certainly wanted to leave, because that’s exactly what he 17ing did.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Everything he said points to him being happy at State. Then, he suddenly left like a thief in the night.

If he began to make unreasonable demands and suddenly bailed on his family dream home, that counts as "something happened".
We all knew he was leaving if a big TX job came open.

Even Saban seriously entertained Texas, dude.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login