School decisions that could have shaped MS.....

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Sharon,MS (Madison County) offered $10,000, their old college domain and proposed to put the buildings in first class order and an adjacent tract of land of 160 acres.
Sharon would have been a fantastic location. Never heard that. Imagine Canton if MSU had been next door…

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Certainly not shocking that some good ole boy dealings went into locating it in Starkville. Agree that Madison County could have been great. Oh well, it's been happening ever since.

Another thing I've always wondered is why they pumped a high-speed highway right between Starkville and MSU. For as much as they seemed to "want it" in the 1870s, they've sure seemed to have an adversarial relationship since then. Until recently (hopefully).

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Outside of slavery & any kind of racial issues, not locating MSU or OM near the capital city is likely the dumbest & worst decision in the history of the state. Having either of those institutions near Jackson would've completely changed the trajectory of the capital city & thus the state.

It's so clear that the original Mississippians were weak & stupid people. They made terrible decisions after terrible decisions & somehow failed to not acquire any of Mobile, Memphis, New Orleans, or Baton Rouge, all of which would've been the largest city in the state & only located a few miles away from our boarder.

The original Mississippians were losers. They lost on every decision of consequence.
Easiest decision to me would have been to have 2 major schools, one north one south. Having tsun and MSU so close and both north was asinine from day 1.

Reactions: knock him out john

jaredtphoto

Jul 13, 2021
Sharon would have been a fantastic location. Never heard that. Imagine Canton if MSU had been next door…
Yeah the most surprising to me were Sharon and McComb -- with as much as McComb offered in incentives (significantly more than anyone else) I wonder why they were never chosen. Along with the fact of today's population in that area (South MS, NOLA, BR) and access to the interstate system, I wonder how it would have been different.

Reactions: knock him out john

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Yeah the most surprising to me were Sharon and McComb -- with as much as McComb offered in incentives (significantly more than anyone else) I wonder why they were never chosen. Along with the fact of today's population in that area (South MS, NOLA, BR) and access to the interstate system, I wonder how it would have been different.
Thanks for sharing your research with us. Interesting read and many what ifs in there. Agree that McComb looked like the obvious choice but then there was this seemingly random set of requirements earlier Guessing things worked back then like they do now .... seemingly random until you get under the covers.

May 1, 1878 -- it came out that in order to be considered for the new state college, it must first be in East Mississippi and on the M&O Railroad, 3rd at the point of good soil, climate and endowment. Under those conditions the choice would lie between Meridian and West Point.

jaredtphoto

Jul 13, 2021
Thanks for sharing your research with us. Interesting read and many what ifs in there. Agree that McComb looked like the obvious choice but then there was this seemingly random set of requirements earlier Guessing things worked back then like they do now .... seemingly random until you get under the covers.

May 1, 1878 -- it came out that in order to be considered for the new state college, it must first be in East Mississippi and on the M&O Railroad, 3rd at the point of good soil, climate and endowment. Under those conditions the choice would lie between Meridian and West Point.
Yeah, it was posted in multiple newspapers and for about 3 weeks I read that same set of requirements. Okolona, West point and Columbus were mentioned as possible spots. Columbus was called the most beautiful city in Mississippi.

Many people don't remember but we had a railroad thru Starkville that came up from Newton, Columbus and Greenville railroad that obviously went between the two and interchanged in West Point. The railroad thru Starkville went to Ackerman which then went North, South towards Louisville and west to meet between Durant and Goodman. A lot of emphasis was placed on the railroads and their ability to carry passengers with ease. But so many what ifs.

AdamDawgDude

May 28, 2007
I think a governor in the early 1900s had a plan to merge State/OM and move to Jxn?

I wonder if a visionary state leader could have convinced voters/alums/supporters/university leaders to merge the sports programs? Football and WBB based in Oxford and MBB and Baseball in Starkvegas? Would have been a heavy lift, but we'd dominate in all these sports. This could have been done as late as the 80s.
State and UM still need to merge. The only real question is if we would be able to generate more revenue as one entity versus two. I believe we would because the new arrangement would create an annual title contender in many sports with big-time draft picks coming out each year. That success would attract a lot of new money.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Ha thanks! I am a huge history buff and really can go down rabbit holes reading old newspapers. Figured I would use it to search for anything MSU. I've learned a lot about our athletic programs thru those newspapers.
In agreement with @OG Goat Holder...this is good material (and excellent research) and is alignment with some of the mythology I'd heard from elder generations on the formation / establishment of MSU.

FWIW - In versions I'd heard from my elders, the individual(s?) advocating for Starkville (Montgomery and/or Bell) to be the site lobbied each of the trustees individually asking that that they vote for Starkville because it had "no chance" of getting over the sites in the running. Their vote would legitimze Starkville as an economic development site. (Again, this is third/fourth hand from 2 generations before me.)

Nonetheless -- excellent work @jaredtphoto

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It’s a what if. We may not have 5M like SC, but maybe have 3.5 or 4 and we still would have a viable capital city like Columbia, and not be talking as much about brain drain. Not sure why you’re including NC - nothing about it is comparable to MS and I never tried to do that.

To your second point, ignoring the what if and fast forwarding to present day, one the key assets, if we had any I’m sure we would have already discussed. The Coast is what it is. A nice place that is vulnerable to storms. They are doing about as well as can do down there presently.
Understood. I included NC because their legislature was visionary, and some leader took hits for land donations to form RTP and Centennial Park (NC State). The critics in NC of the political leadership then are eating crown today (if still alive). NC is what SC "aspires" to more like (or so it seems).

Everything on the south Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast will be vulnerable to storms. My opinion is that this is a generally accepted cost of doing business. Hurricanes haven't slowed Florida.

That said I wouldn't rush to build a bunch of windfarms on the Coast or in the Pine Belt; however, I think you've itemized the assets for the most part. (Camp Shelby should be "Fort" Shelby...which would be transformational. Unfortunately this hasn't happened....yet)

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
I can understand this decision. And referring back to SC, didn't seem to hurt them much, not a bad idea to have the two universities situated like that. Of course, up there it happened backwards, USC is much older and went to the capital, and Clemson came along later (funny enough, built in the image of MSU).

Hard to be that visionary. And the people of Mississippi were so divided back then, would have been difficult to do, that's why the split was happening in the first place. MSU nearly went to Meridian, so not only did they pass on Jackson, they also passed on another decent town (at the time) that was logistically better. They wanted that black prairie soil I guess and wanted to get away from riff raff in Meridian. Baptist Culture strikes again. That's why I say Jackson may not have been the play, but why not somewhere in the middle of there and Vicksburg or slightly north? Right by the ag mecca of the Delta, east LA and SE AR.

And with Vicksburg reeling from the Civil War, could have helped Reconstruction. Crazy.
Ahh...so Baptist are riff-raft.....damn didn't know that.

You are so smart......

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Isn't MSU where it is because the Federal government took it from the Native Americans and gave it to the State to put a land grant institution there? (Morrill Act 1862). When Ole Miss was founded Jackson was basically nothing but a place people stopped on their way to somewhere else along the Natchez Trace. So a lot like today really. The only reason it was the capital is because the geniuses back then thought it had to be in the center of the State, which was a swamp, so LeFleur's Bluff was the compromise.

The worst thing that ever happened to Starkville was that it wasn't anywhere near the Interstate system and you couldn't even take a four lane road there from Jackson until like 2006 or something. The worst thing to happen to Jackson was everything. Stupid reason to make it the capital, Sherman burned it to the ground, it floods, segregation, population flight post segregation, inept local government, state government that couldn't care less about it, etc.
No. MSU was located here because it was a big agricultural area of the state and Mr Darden donated it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ahh...so Baptist are riff-raft.....damn didn't know that.

You are so smart......
Not what I said. I said Baptist Culture strikes again, wanting to keep our college kids away from that devil's water (and the accompanying riff raff). Baptist Culture loves siloing folks away from the real world.

It's weird too. I haven't noticed an increased in sinful behavior at our sporting events since around 2019? What gives?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The worst thing to happen to Jackson was everything. Stupid reason to make it the capital, Sherman burned it to the ground, it floods, segregation, population flight post segregation, inept local government, state government that couldn't care less about it, etc.

In what way did the state government not care about Jackson? I think certainly there were legislators from other parts of the state that thought Jackson already got the lion's share of benefits from state government (which doesn't seem like a crazy position to take considering all the state jobs there). But what was the state government supposed to do that it hasn't to make Jackson better? It couldn't exactly just take over the city of Jackson once incompetent leadership took hold. Hell, people are bitching about the state government being heavy handed now when the city can't even provide clean water and sewer.

The only obvious thing is that they should have done school choice once Jackson city schools turned ******, but that has been stopped by people that have a emotional connection to public run schools over publicly funded education. Doesn't have anything to do with not caring about Jackson. For the most part, Jackson had every advantage the state could give them except for a major university. The residents of Jackson just 17ed up all the advantages they had.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And 82 wasn't 4 laned from Why-known-er to Starkvegas until the 90s, in spite of likely being one of the busiest highways in N MS. By that time every goat trail with 50 miles of Oxford was 4 laned.
Too much influence from Ole Miss attorneys in the legislature over the years. It's truly amazing how much the rivalry between Ole Miss and State and the general little penis syndrome of Ole Miss has hampered Mississippi. We have too many universities mainly because they thought the people that actually do work and make things possible were beneath landowners. Seems like practically every decision made by Ole Miss connected politicians until the late 80's or early 90's was viewed through the lens of either (1) what is best for Ole Miss/worst for MSU or (2) what comes closest to maintaining segregation.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In what way did the state government not care about Jackson? I think certainly there were legislators from other parts of the state that thought Jackson already got the lion's share of benefits from state government (which doesn't seem like a crazy position to take considering all the state jobs there). But what was the state government supposed to do that it hasn't to make Jackson better? It couldn't exactly just take over the city of Jackson once incompetent leadership took hold. Hell, people are bitching about the state government being heavy handed now when the city can't even provide clean water and sewer.

The only obvious thing is that they should have done school choice once Jackson city schools turned ******, but that has been stopped by people that have a emotional connection to public run schools over publicly funded education. Doesn't have anything to do with not caring about Jackson. For the most part, Jackson had every advantage the state could give them except for a major university. The residents of Jackson just 17ed up all the advantages they had.
Don't want to speak for him, but metaphorically, he's right. I'm sure the local Jackson area legislators, and TateR himself (and other governors), DO care for Jackson a great deal. But most of the rest of the legislators are just a reflection of the public (like catvet) and they would rather move the capital or talk about public schools in New Albany or some shlt, rather than see how important Jackson really is to the state's success.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Don't want to speak for him, but metaphorically, he's right. I'm sure the local Jackson area legislators, and TateR himself (and other governors), DO care for Jackson a great deal. But most of the rest of the legislators are just a reflection of the public (like catvet) and they would rather move the capital or talk about public schools in New Albany or some shlt, rather than see how important Jackson really is to the state's success.
But that's no different than any other city. Legislators from there care about it; legislators away from there don't particularly care unless they have some special connection.

I just don't get what people are thinking the state legislature should have done to save Jackson from itself. Like I said, school choice could have kept some employed parents from moving for affordable schools. Beyond that? What? Start the CCID earlier? Great, but there was a political reason it had to get so bad before that could get done. What do people think the legislature should have done and why do they think it wasn't done because there was some special animosity or lack of care from the state government.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Yeah, it was posted in multiple newspapers and for about 3 weeks I read that same set of requirements. Okolona, West point and Columbus were mentioned as possible spots. Columbus was called the most beautiful city in Mississippi.

Many people don't remember but we had a railroad thru Starkville that came up from Newton, Columbus and Greenville railroad that obviously went between the two and interchanged in West Point. The railroad thru Starkville went to Ackerman which then went North, South towards Louisville and west to meet between Durant and Goodman. A lot of emphasis was placed on the railroads and their ability to carry passengers with ease. But so many what ifs.
Tell my wife every time we drive over to Columbus how great it would have been had State been located there. Just a significantly more charming location and town in many ways. Thanks again for the research and interesting read.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But that's no different than any other city. Legislators from there care about it; legislators away from there don't particularly care unless they have some special connection.

I just don't get what people are thinking the state legislature should have done to save Jackson from itself. Like I said, school choice could have kept some employed parents from moving for affordable schools. Beyond that? What? Start the CCID earlier? Great, but there was a political reason it had to get so bad before that could get done. What do people think the legislature should have done and why do they think it wasn't done because there was some special animosity or lack of care from the state government.
It's not. For lack of a better phrase, it's just sort of a 'left-leaning' perspective. Don't want to fully blame the city, so have to blame the big bad state government, of course. But the answer to your question of what could they have done? Care more.

I'm not saying they are supposed to care more (and I'm certainly near the point of not giving a 17 myself so I can't judge them), but that's the answer to the question.

Nov 25, 2019
Ha thanks! I am a huge history buff and really can go down rabbit holes reading old newspapers. Figured I would use it to search for anything MSU. I've learned a lot about our athletic programs thru those newspapers.
where do you find the old newspapers to read? Mitchell Memorial Library??
Great info!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Ole Miss (and Alcorn) was originally designated the land grant school in MS. It went over like a lead balloon and the Ag program there collapsed after three years. They didn't want the "help" going to school with them, and the "help" didn't want to. If it had flown you would probably be looking at Ole Miss as THE big school in Mississippi and something like USM down south.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
One, State needs to strong arm MUW and take their nursing school. That would help our student population immediately because of the degree opportunities. OM has engineering. We can have nursing.
Welp, 4 months later, appears the Brightwell/W/etc. issue is over and neva gonna happen.

We've landed 2 big projects, only one of which will benefit MS in a big way (Amazon). So we're 1 for 3, fairly typical I guess.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Welp, 4 months later, appears the Brightwell/W/etc. issue is over and neva gonna happen.

We've landed 2 big projects, only one of which will benefit MS in a big way (Amazon). So we're 1 for 3, fairly typical I guess.
The one in Marshall County will benefit MS. Much more so than if it was sitting across the line in TN. The people that work there will pay Mississippi Taxes no matter where they live.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The one in Marshall County will benefit MS. Much more so than if it was sitting across the line in TN. The people that work there will pay Mississippi Taxes no matter where they live.
Sure it will. But we spent a ton of capital on a project that is essentially Memphis. Same situation kind of applies to Ingall's in Pascagoula - great that we have it, but it employs a lot of Mobile people. Same with Stennis and Louisiana.

I want the most bang for the buck as possible. I want the workers to live AND pay taxes in MS. The ones listed above are good, but we really need to spend our limited recruiting resources on things that benefit MS first and foremost. But, you take what you can get, I suppose.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Concur with this^^^^

We have several employees in my organization who work in TN, but actually live in MS. I'm assuming due to overall lower COL in Destoto County vs the Memphis burbs.

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010
This is exactly what I read in an article years ago. The A&M part was going to be formed at UM (It may have actually happened for one year. I don't remember) but then the rich delta planters put their foot down because they didn't want people they considered as the help being educated along side their golden children.

I'm not sure on this at all but I'm betting we got placed in Starkville because Stephen D. Lee lived in Columbus and Boardtown/Starkville was the first settlement from Columbus west of the Tombigbee
It's the other way around. Ole Miss tried to start an A&M school after the war and no one showed up. ""{B]ecause the sons of the industrial classes didn't want to go up to Ole Miss, where they would have to go to school with the sons of the gentry."

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The Sharon location is very similar to the Auburn selection in Alabama.

Sharon (in current Madison County) had a small college named Madison College and a lot of land. It made a lot of sense to put MSU there. (Read about Madison College) The Civil War shut it down but there were apparently buildings in good order that a new A&M college could get started and build out. All accounts I have read said that this was the best spot, but political pressure moved it to Starkville.

in Alabama, there was a small college named Crews College (Read about it). It was in what is now Lamar County (just east of Columbus, MS). East Alabama Male College was in Auburn and both competed for the land grant status. Believe it or not, that area of Alabama that is forgotten today had a lot of political clout. William Bankhead, who became Speaker of the House was born not two miles west of Crews in Moscow (now Sulligent).

In 1899, East Alabama Male College became the Auburn Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn). Crews College burned down and was not rebuilt.

Just think if Auburn would have been there. You would have had Auburn, Alabama and Mississippi State all within 60-80 miles of each other.

Reactions: MSUDOG24
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login