Scott Frost out at Nebraska…

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
To be fair, Pelini was constantly calling out the fan base for support while they sold out every game and thought that he was bigger than the school itself. Also, in his last couple seasons there his defense gave up 70 to Wisconsin in the B1G Championship and they were squeaking by the Mcneese States of the world. The problem wasn't firing him it was hiring Mike Riley which made no sense then and even less now.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, let's go hire a coach that blew it at a high profile job and hope he does better than the guy we're firing.

What options do you think Nebraska have that are better? I don't think Mullen would be a good hire because I think he's a little burned out. If he were fired up, he likely would be about as good as they could get and his style would be a good fit there. Don't think NIL helps them as much as other former blue bloods and they just don't have a recruiting base. They need somebody like Mullen that can run a system and develop players.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I wish Nebraska would find an old Osborne disciple somewhere and bring back the triple option. College football needs Nebraska running the triple option

I don't think you can win big with the triple option any more. I think Paul JOhnson's run at Ga Tech is the ceiling, and he did that in what was often a weak ACC. Not sure you could do even that in the Big 10. I think Nebraska should probably be thrilled if they got a little worse than Paul Johnson results, but I'm not sure NEbraska fans/boosters are ready to accept the reality of not having championship potential anymore.

I think a power spread like Mullen ran would be a great fit.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
To be fair, Pelini was constantly calling out the fan base for support while they sold out every game and thought that he was bigger than the school itself. Also, in his last couple seasons there his defense gave up 70 to Wisconsin in the B1G Championship and they were squeaking by the Mcneese States of the world. The problem wasn't firing him it was hiring Mike Riley which made no sense then and even less now.

I think Pelini was a cat person who went slightly crazy from toxoplasma gondii.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
I don't think you can win big with the triple option any more. I think Paul JOhnson's run at Ga Tech is the ceiling, and he did that in what was often a weak ACC. Not sure you could do even that in the Big 10. I think Nebraska should probably be thrilled if they got a little worse than Paul Johnson results, but I'm not sure NEbraska fans/boosters are ready to accept the reality of not having championship potential anymore.

I think a power spread like Mullen ran would be a great fit.

I don't think they're gonna win big no matter who they get. I want it strictly bc I enjoy college having a triple option team that isn't a service academy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think they're gonna win big no matter who they get. I want it strictly bc I enjoy college having a triple option team that isn't a service academy.

I agree that they aren't going to win big regardless, I just don't think they're ready to accept that though. Of course, they may also still think you can win big with the right triple option coach, so they may not see hiring a triple option coach as conceding that you won't win championships.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Why is there no chance with Kiffin?

Nebraska is a better program overall. I would not want to live in Nebraska though. He's getting paid very well at Ole Miss and as long as he averages 7 wins he's probably fine.

MSUSaint15

Oct 18, 2020
Here's a bit of a stretch but I would go after Ken Niumatalolo from Navy. He's done all he can with the Midshipmen and would bring the triple option back to Nebraska.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login