Scott Rolen to Cooperstown…

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Keith Hernandez. 200 million times more HOF worthy than Scott Rolen.

To be more precise, 11 gold gloves. Two silver sluggers. One MVP. Two world championships. In the hall of fame of two different organizations. Criminal that he isn't in.
And I meant to say earlier in the thread Keith Hernandez absolutely belongs in the HOF if Rolen made it.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I said Andruw Jones was maybe the best to ever play the CF position. No doubt Griffey had a more productive career at the plate, but Andruw Jones played the defensive position like no one else I’ve ever seen. He made difficult plays look routine. His range in CF was unreal.
He was great defensively. Best ever? Ever heard of Willie Mays? Mickey Mantle? Ty Cobb? Joe DiMaggio?

Jones was a great defensive player, but there's more to it than that. I know you braves fans are fanatic about this, but a little reality is in order, too.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
And I meant to say earlier in the thread Keith Hernandez absolutely belongs in the HOF if Rolen made it.
Yeah, and I want to add that I can see the argument for leaving Hernandez out, too. He had some off-the-field stuff that embarrassed baseball in the early 80s and that's what got him traded by the Cards.

But if Rolen is the benchmark....

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
He was great defensively. Best ever? Ever heard of Willie Mays? Mickey Mantle? Ty Cobb? Joe DiMaggio?

Jones was a great defensive player, but there's more to it than that. I know you braves fans are fanatic about this, but a little reality is in order, too.
Did you ever see Mays, Mantle, Cobb, or DiMaggio play? Those guys were the best of their era no doubt. But none of us have seen any of those guys play. My eyeballs have seen Andruw Jones and I’ve personally never seen anyone play the position any better. But that’s my opinion and I am an expert on my opinion.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, and I want to add that I can see the argument for leaving Hernandez out, too. He had some off-the-field stuff that embarrassed baseball in the early 80s and that's what got him traded by the Cards.

But if Rolen is the benchmark....

ESPN actually has a good case:

Here's another way to look at it. MLB Network ran a list of the ninth-best players at each position:

C - Joe Mauer (55.2)

1B - Willie McCovey (64.5)

2B - Roberto Alomar (67.0)

SS - Pee Wee Reese (68.4)

3B - Scott Rolen (70.1)

LF - Willie Stargell (57.5)

CF - Richie Ashburn (64.2)

RF - Tony Gwynn (69.2)

That's pretty good company if you ask me. All are Hall of Famers except for Mauer, who is not yet eligible (and joins Beltre on the ballot next year). No, these are not necessarily players viewed as inner-circle Hall of Famers, with the exception of Gwynn, but it's a strong list of well-qualified Hall of Famers.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Did you ever see Mays, Mantle, Cobb, or DiMaggio play? Those guys were the best of their era no doubt. But none of us have seen any of those guys play. My eyeballs have seen Andruw Jones and I’ve personally never seen anyone play the position any better. But that’s my opinion and I am an expert on my opinion.
Thank you for admitting your bias and saying that you meant to say "best defensive CF I ever saw" instead of "best defensive CF ever."

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you for admitting your bias and saying that you meant to say "best defensive CF I ever saw" instead of "best defensive CF ever."
Biased or not (admittedly I am), I’d still debate Andruw Jones to be as good or better than any of the aforementioned HOF’ers in regards to CF defense. Thus, I stand behind my OP as “maybe the best ever”

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Biased or not (admittedly I am), I’d still debate Andruw Jones to be as good or better than any of the aforementioned HOF’ers in regards to CF defense
A fair case can be made, but there are a lot of variables that get overlooked, too. The older guys played in crappier ballparks with bigger outfields to roam. You think Willie Mays would've been better if he had a nice, tidy Turner Field outfield to navigate instead of the cavernous Candlestick Park power alleys and famous wind? OF defensive metrics are a lot more subjective than infield metrics.

I think Jones is top five, defensively. When you add in other parts of the game, he falls out of the top ten, and that makes him a fringe hall of famer. But given that guys like Rolen and McGriff are getting in now, Jones will probably make the cut eventually.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I thought Todd Helton put together a better career than either McGriff or Rolen, but he fell a few votes short this year.

I could be wrong as that is going from memory and I haven't looked at any stats. Helton did get the benefit of playing half of his games in the Rockies home park.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The special Asterisk Wing of the Hall

Just throw out the stats from 1994-2004 and judge on a per season basis who should be in based on what they did before and after. Bonds should still be in based on what he did for the first 10 years of his career. Clemens probably should too. You have to find a way to look past the cumulative stats merits and look at what those players were on average each year they were healthy. Or, you have to acknowledge that when everyone is cheating, nobody is really cheating and acknowledge those guys were still better than the other cheaters.

Reactions: Ghostman

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Just throw out the stats from 1994-2004 and judge on a per season basis who should be in based on what they did before and after. Bonds should still be in based on what he did for the first 10 years of his career. Clemens probably should too. You have to find a way to look past the cumulative stats merits and look at what those players were on average each year they were healthy. Or, you have to acknowledge that when everyone is cheating, nobody is really cheating and acknowledge those guys were still better than the other cheaters.
Yes, Bonds, Clemens, and Palmiero should without question be in the hall. Bonds and Raffy are probably the two biggest casualties of the steroids era, just based on what they accomplished. I think we can all agree that Bonds would've been a HOF'er without the roids. I doubt Raffy took them until later in his career, but at the time he joined the 3000/500 club, there were only four guys who'd ever walked the earth who had done that before.

Those guys should be in, definitely.

ETA: If I had to pick one that I'd leave out due to roids, it would be Clemens. Roids don't make you a better hitter or a better fielder, but they make you stronger and help you recover faster, which in my opinion benefits pitchers more than position players.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I'd like to see the criteria they used to rank. Some of the guys on that list had much better individual seasons than Rolen did.

Rolen was consistently a very good offensive player and an elite defender. But he never put together MVP-caliber seasons. He missed a lot of time (A LOT) due to injury.
Pretty sure those are WAR numbers but too lazy to look it up

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
They really have to start letting the steroid guys in or something... Rolen and McGriff were good players in their era, but HOF... Pffft.

Just dont let anyone in if you are going to put in guys that were usually the 3rd or 4th best players on their roster. Dale Murphy was better in his era than Rolen or McGriff were in theirs...
I agree. Loved McGriff, but he is not a HOF type of player. Rolen.... not really either. Dale Murphy was way better than both of them.
Andruw Jones was not the best ever to play the CF position, seriously dude? Best Ever. I bet there are maybe 5 better during his playing career.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I honestly thought this was a joke when I saw the thread title.

I really lost touch with baseball at some point if Scott Rolen in HOF worthy (I did).

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Andruw Jones was not the best ever to play the CF position, seriously dude? Best Ever. I bet there are maybe 5 better during his playing career.
robert deniro GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login