Season feels a little disappointing

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Probably says more about the expectations than the outcome. Anytime MSU makes the NCAA, it can’t be too bad. But, we didn’t improve much season over season even with the addition of Hubbard. I know we were counting on Taylor and he didn’t work out, and Tolu was hurt early.

But we really limped the season home. It feels like we’ve trailed for 55+ minutes in like 5 of our last 7 games.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Definitely. I still don't understand why this team wasn't really any better than last year's was. And, despite the difference in NCAAT seeding, it was essentially the same team as last year. Just a little better offensively and worse defensively.

Edit: How's this for consistency? We've finished 8-10 in the SEC for 4 straight seasons now.

Reactions: RopeDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Probably says more about the expectations than the outcome. Anytime MSU makes the NCAA, it can’t be too bad. But, we didn’t improve much season over season even with the addition of Hubbard. I know we were counting on Taylor and he didn’t work out, and Tolu was hurt early.

But we really limped the season home. It feels like we’ve trailed for 55+ minutes in like 5 of our last 7 games.
Sounds like I'm glad I was working and couldn't watch...

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

The tone for this season was set on 11/28 and 12/3. Not only were we always guaranteed to have dropped a full seed (or more) come selection time due to these losses to GT and Southern, it showed how weak this team can play.

That team showed up today, and it was sickening. Jans will have a chance to do a full rebuild with some actual basketball players. He has to make the most of the opportunity to try to sway the balance of fan interest in this program.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I know no one is interested in excuses at this point but MichSt is close to if not a top ten program with a hall of fame coach and they seem to be peaking at the right time. They would have beaten a lot of folks today. We may have just been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We made back to back NCAA tournaments for the first time in 15 years. I'm not going to be too upset about that. Losing sucks and I would love to see some improvements next year, but I can't be too disappointed, especially when I think about where this team was just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm going to go a step further, I think if we can hold on to Hubbard and get a true point guard, Jans can put that elusive Sweet 16 team together.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Disappointing but injuries had a much larger impact than most would admit. A 9th place finish in the league with a bloodbath in the first round isn’t where I had us. I’m thankful for these guys that just played their last game for State. Our program was coming out of the depths of hell and extreme mediocrity when they got here. Hopefully Hubbard and this next class can take us to the next level. We’re going to have some holes to fill, but I don’t see expectations dropping.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Oh My God Wow GIF by Kino Lorber

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

We were 10-2 without him and lost 6 of the first 9 when he came back. Could he have made a difference in Southern U and GA Tech, who knows and granted when we went 6-9 we had started conference play. The point is he was not a big game changer for us, only 2 rebounds and 9 points today and 3 of those were free throws in 27 total minutes

Old Fart Dawg

Sep 2, 2012
I didn’t get to watch, so I recorded it to watch later. It’s going to be much later.
I’m disappointed that the team that smoked TN didn’t show up today.
why don’t coaches teach granny shots for FT’s anymore?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I didn’t get to watch, so I recorded it to watch later. It’s going to be much later.

We could’ve made 100% of our free throws today and still would’ve lost by double digits. It was never particularly close. We had brief moments where we’d start to make it interesting but then couldn’t get stops afterward.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Cam getting two fouls early hurt, but we played tentative and scared on offense all game. Michigan State is not a great offensive team but they ran their sets so much more efficient than us and then they hit their open looks.

We just played sluggish and poor today. Not a good showing at all for the program. Even playing pretty well, we may have lost but I wouldn't have the sour taste in my mouth after watching that effort.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
It appears we just match up really well against TN. If we didn’t and you take those two wins away we probably don’t even make the tournament.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Definitely. I still don't understand why this team wasn't really any better than last year's was. And, despite the difference in NCAAT seeding, it was essentially the same team as last year. Just a little better offensively and worse defensively.

Edit: How's this for consistency? We've finished 8-10 in the SEC for 4 straight seasons now.
There is one new player that is responsible for both of those. He is what he is. He HAS to work on his defensive positioning. With his height he has no choice. He will get there.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I know no one is interested in excuses at this point but MichSt is close to if not a top ten program with a hall of fame coach and they seem to be peaking at the right time. They would have beaten a lot of folks today. We may have just been at the wrong place at the wrong time.
They are certainly a second-tier blue blood in basketball. Izzo is a Hall of Fame Coach.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Today isn't about the fact that we lost.. It's more HOW we lost.

We had the country's attention and I don't think anyone can claim we "left it all on the court"... or any other euphemism that describes inspired play.
We got beat by a better team.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We were 10-2 without him and lost 6 of the first 9 when he came back. Could he have made a difference in Southern U and GA Tech, who knows and granted when we went 6-9 we had started conference play. The point is he was not a big game changer for us, only 2 rebounds and 9 points today and 3 of those were free throws in 27 total minutes
The competition was a BIT different when he came back. Get out of here with that BS.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There is one new player that is responsible for both of those. He is what he is. He HAS to work on his defensive positioning. With his height he has no choice. He will get there.
He's clearly part of the defensive problem, and you're right, there's just not much you can do about that. It's a problem well worth having because of what he brings at the other end. But it seems to me that's not the only position our defense has regressed.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
That should be the punishment for missing it the big boy way for sure!

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They played a great game today and would have beaten most teams in the country. We picked a terrible time to play a bad game. Two NCAA tourneys in a row, the league is getting better and better. The Southern loss killed us seeding wise, it was a bad day to be matched up with Mich State. Their HOF coach had them ready to play.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I believe we were beat by ourselves. Not making easy baskets or even all the 3s that we took and subsequently missed. Add to that all the fouls the refs refused to call against them but seemed fine calling against us. They were on today and we weren’t.

I think we’re on the upswing in the coming years especially if we can keep Hubbard. I’m excited for the future but disappointed in how badly the season ended sans the UT victory.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Did you miss this part when you read it, "granted when we went 6-9 we had started conference play"?
Yet you still felt the need to point it out. ENOUGH bashing of a back-to-back 1st team ALL SEC player.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He's clearly part of the defensive problem, and you're right, there's just not much you can do about that. It's a problem well worth having because of what he brings at the other end. But it seems to me that's not the only position our defense has regressed.
It only takes one guy not pulling his weight on defense to make them all look worse.

Reactions: HuntDawg

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
They are a good team no doubt but they lost 5 of their last 7, not exactly peaking

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think perspective is greatly skewed based on last year’s results.

Reality is that last’s year’s team was easily the least talented team since the Rick Ray era. We had Tolu and that was basically it. Two very mediocre outside shooters in Moore and Davis and nothing else there. No point guard. Two good, rangy defenders in Jeffries / Matthews who couldn’t really score. A scrappy bunch, but not a team that had any business at all even finishing .500 overall, let alone getting an NCAA at large even as a Last 4 in. The fact it happened was a damn miracle, and a major tribute to Jans getting the team to play WAY above its talent level.

This year’s team was just last year’s team, plus Hubbard….who was obviously a great addition. But still, it was just a one man team becoming a two man team. A team that shouldn’t have even been .500 became what should have been a mid-level NIT team. Still no point guard. Still just one guy to worry about from 3 point range. Mostly all the same problems. And additionally, opposing teams from around the league had a full season of tape on Jans and the entire roster, and had a much better idea how to attack our defense.

Still, we not only sustained last year’s results, we improved. Were forced to win a lot more games in the 70’s - 80’s, and were able to do so. This roster is well in the bottom 5 of the league talent wise, but our coach has still guided that talent to 2 Big Dance appearances.

We now have a wide open roster full of spots to sell in the portal. Have the ability to put plenty of pieces around a superstar two-guard and a proven coach. The future is very bright.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The flip side of that coin is that it was our 2nd worst margin of defeat in our tournament history. We lost by 19 to UCLA in 1995, and they won it all.

This game had significantly less to do with Meatchicken Lite and way more to do with us being a soft basketball team. Its a team we certainly should’ve gone toe to toe with, and we got out lunch eaten.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
I think perspective is greatly skewed based on last year’s results.

Reality is that last’s year’s team was easily the least talentedteam since the Rick Ray era. We had Tolu and that was basically it. Two very mediocre outside shooters in Moore and Davis and nothing else there. No point guard. Two good, rangy defenders in Jeffries / Matthews who couldn’t really score. A scrappy bunch, but not a team that had any business at all even finishing .500 overall, let alone getting an NCAA at large even as a Last 4 in. The fact it happened was a damn miracle, and a major tribute to Jans getting the team to play WAY above its talent level.

This year’s team was just last year’s team, plus Hubbard….who was obviously a great addition. But still, it was just a one man team becoming a two man team. A team that shouldn’t have even been .500 became what should have been a mid-level NIT team. Still no point guard. Still just one guy to worry about from 3 point range. Mostly all the same problems. And additionally, opposing teams from around the league had a full season of tape on Jans and the entire roster, and had a much better idea how to attack our defense.

Still, we not only sustained last year’s results, we improved. Were forced to win a lot more games in the 70’s - 80’s, and were able to do so. This roster is well in the bottom 5 of the league talent wise, but our coach has still guided that talent to 2 Big Dance appearances.

We now have a wide open roster full of spots to sell in the portal. Have the ability to put plenty of pieces around a superstar two-guard and a proven coach. The future is very bright.
You bring up a good point and I agree. We just didn’t have a PG the last 2 years that could get in the paint and draw a double team. I think tolu suffered from this in addition to him not being 100% healthy. Hopefully delquan warren will be the answer at point next year.

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
It was a Mississippi State type of season…probably all of you know what that means.
I don’t understand what that means. State has been playing basketball for 100 years and we have only made the tournament 12 or 13 times, yet we just went back to back for the third or fourth time in our history. I like to think of the positives. Jans has brought energy and momentum to the program. Only 5 other teams in the SEC have gone to back to back tournaments in the last two years, so I believe we are firmly in the upper half of the league. We had the toughest SEC schedule this year, especially when comparing last year’s results.

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Do you even attempt to rationalize why we lost 6 of 9? We played the top third of the league to start the season. Tolu was double and triple teamed every time he touched the ball today. Players have off days. He made 3 of 5 shots.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I'm not going to base the season on one game. I think we probably overachieved if anything. No one was expecting Hubbard to do what he did this year. Contribute, yes but lead the team in scoring no. Tolu was a disappointment but that horse has been beat enough.

As inconsistent as we were, as poor of a free throw shooting and 3 point shooting team we were, we still beat a 2 seed in Tennessee twice, a 4 seed in Auburn once (came close to beating them twice) & was an eyelash from beating a 3 seeded Kentucky. We made the semifinals of the SEC Tournament. Until the Auburn loss, we were undefeated on a neutral court. And finally, we made the NCAA Tournament as an 8 seed. It wasn't the ending we wanted but I don't consider the entirety of the season as a disappointment.

Hubbard shot 293 3 pt shots this year. Second on the team was DJ with 93. We have to find at least one more shooter in the portal.

Cam had 75 turnovers this year. Second was Tolu with 55. If Cam comes back, he needs to focus on playing D and rebounding.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I'm not going to base the season on one game. I think we probably overachieved if anything. No one was expecting Hubbard to do what he did this year. Contribute, yes but lead the team in scoring no. Tolu was a disappointment but that horse has been beat enough.

As inconsistent as we were, as poor of a free throw shooting and 3 point shooting team we were, we still beat a 2 seed in Tennessee twice, a 4 seed in Auburn once (came close to beating them twice) & was an eyelash from beating a 3 seeded Kentucky. We made the semifinals of the SEC Tournament. Until the Auburn loss, we were undefeated on a neutral court. And finally, we made the NCAA Tournament as an 8 seed. It wasn't the ending we wanted but I don't consider the entirety of the season as a disappointment.

Hubbard shot 293 3 pt shots this year. Second on the team was DJ with 93. We have to find at least one more shooter in the portal.

Cam had 75 turnovers this year. Second was Tolu with 55. If Cam comes back, he needs to focus on playing D and rebounding.
And free throws

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login