Season feels a little disappointing

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The flip side of that coin is that it was our 2nd worst margin of defeat in our tournament history. We lost by 19 to UCLA in 1995, and they won it all.

This game had significantly less to do with Meatchicken Lite and way more to do with us being a soft basketball team. It’s a team we certainly should’ve gone toe to toe with, and we got out lunch eaten.
I think you’re confusing a not very talented basketball team for a soft basketball team.

Michigan State was about the worst possible matchup for us. Great perimeter shooting teams have picked us apart all season, and they have a HOF coach who no doubt had no trouble at all figuring out how to defend us. When you only have two options to worry about, it’s pretty easy for a guy like Izzo to game plan.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
The true marooners ganged up on me for being critical about a 2nd straight one and done in the tournament.

Says year 2 for Jans was a step forward. I'm sorry, but losing by 18 in round 1 doesn't feel like a step forward.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I think you’re confusing a not very talented basketball team for a soft basketball team.

Michigan State was about the worst possible matchup for us. Great perimeter shooting teams have picked us apart all season, and they have a HOF coach who no doubt had no trouble at all figuring out how to defend us. When you only have two options to worry about, it’s pretty easy for a guy like Izzo to game plan.
This exact same team was tough as nails on defense last year. I’m not confusing a 17ing thing.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It was a Mississippi State type of season…probably all of you know what that means.
Let me guess: Some good talent back, some good additions from a decent year last season. Early season success raises expectations and then a late season lull leaves us wondering if we'll make post season. We inch in and then "oh well wait till next year". That scenario applies to most all MSU sports. Did I miss anything?

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Probably says more about the expectations than the outcome. Anytime MSU makes the NCAA, it can’t be too bad. But, we didn’t improve much season over season even with the addition of Hubbard. I know we were counting on Taylor and he didn’t work out, and Tolu was hurt early.

But we really limped the season home. It feels like we’ve trailed for 55+ minutes in like 5 of our last 7 games.
Michigan St. has the same talent as Auburn. Notice that 4 of the 5 players on the court could shoot 3's reliably. Again, we have only one player who could shoot a 3 reliably and guess who they chose to shut down or at least slow down. As soon as they did that...........it was Ballgame. Jans is the right man to lead our program. He will absolutely have to find enough 3pt marksmen so that we can at least have 3 on the court at all times. Only way to compete in today's game.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I'm not going to base the season on one game. I think we probably overachieved if anything. No one was expecting Hubbard to do what he did this year. Contribute, yes but lead the team in scoring no. Tolu was a disappointment but that horse has been beat enough.

As inconsistent as we were, as poor of a free throw shooting and 3 point shooting team we were, we still beat a 2 seed in Tennessee twice, a 4 seed in Auburn once (came close to beating them twice) & was an eyelash from beating a 3 seeded Kentucky. We made the semifinals of the SEC Tournament. Until the Auburn loss, we were undefeated on a neutral court. And finally, we made the NCAA Tournament as an 8 seed. It wasn't the ending we wanted but I don't consider the entirety of the season as a disappointment.

Hubbard shot 293 3 pt shots this year. Second on the team was DJ with 93. We have to find at least one more shooter in the portal.

Cam had 75 turnovers this year. Second was Tolu with 55. If Cam comes back, he needs to focus on playing D and rebounding.
Cam participated in Senior Day. I thought he was done.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't think you can effectively judge our entire season with today's effort. Go ahead if that makes you happy, but I don't think you can if you look at this team effectively. If you want to ***** and moan be my guest but we've got lots of other performances from our season that you can toss into today's loss and have a gripe session.

Overall, we improved, yet we never capitalized on some others. This team had some spots that were not filled, and we suffered all season. We never had an effective point guard. We also did not have a strong forward to complement Tolu on the boards. The only shooter we had was Hubbard. He was as close as we could come to having somebody who could grab the game and take over, but his defense limited him severely.

For the love of God, I don't know why we have such a problem with free throw shooting. Is there someone in Mississippi that can teach them how to shoot a freaking free throw?

Reactions: HuntDawg

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Next goals for Mississippi State is to get better seeding in the Tourney. They have proven they can make it routinely, time to move up with better matchups. State has been screwed both years in terms of the matchups. Wish we had Oakland to play against.
Will be very interesting to see what happens with underclassmen players and transfers. Especially Josh.
We need a dominant post player next season too.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It appears we just match up really well against TN. If we didn’t and you take those two wins away we probably don’t even make the tournament.
And if we take a step back and look at the last few weeks as a whole, we lost 6 of 8 games and it took a 2nd half blitz to take one of those games from LSU. It hasn't been a particularly good month of basketball, and the UT win was the outlier

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This exact same team was tough as nails on defense last year. I’m not confusing a 17ing thing.
We were 3rd in the SEC both last season and this season in Team Defense Efficiency. We did dip from 8th nationally to 52nd nationally, but that’s to be expected when you have a year of offseason film review from a first year coach. Throw on top of that our most athletic post player missing nearly half the season, and that explains a lot. We were still a damn good defensive team this year, particularly after Tolu got back to full speed. Defense was not the problem at all with this team….it was again a strength.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We need a point guard To actually run the offense and move Hubbard off the ball. But regardless there are going to be issues on the other side of tht floor bc a 5-10 2 guard is going to be attacked on the other end.

hubbard has to be better defensively or we need to change our MO ahe style to try to score a little more. As someone else stated defense is played by the team, one guy not holding up his end will hurt the entire unit. You can’t hide someone on that end of the floor.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Im not as convinced that we’re going to load up in the portal and walk the golden road as some are thinking. New group new struggles perhaps ? Somewhere in between ? I’m once bitten, twice shy on this staff’s ability to evaluate / assimilate new players.

Reactions: HuntDawg

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Im not as convinced that we’re going to load up in the portal and walk the golden road as some are thinking. New group new struggles perhaps ? Somewhere in between ? I’m once bitten, twice shy on this staff’s ability to evaluate / assimilate new players.
That’s the million dollar question with this staff. We’ve got some meh recruiters at a school that is in the bottom third in NIL in conference. Not a good combo

And rumor is our neighbors up the road are about to unload the bank for Beard and an entire new group of portals

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yet you still felt the need to point it out. ENOUGH bashing of a back-to-back 1st team ALL SEC player.
It makes them feel good about themselves to find a player and bash them relentlessly. We are talking about a team sport aren't we? For some reason they feel it comes down to one player every time.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
That’s the million dollar question with this staff. We’ve got some meh recruiters at a school that is in the bottom third in NIL in conference. Not a good combo

And rumor is our neighbors up the road are about to unload the bank for Beard and an entire new group of portals
Rumor is they have offered Hubbard a blank check**

The good folks funding our basketball NIL have us more than competitive, so I’m not sure your bottom third applies to hoops. We can get a very good big man from the portal for half of what Tolu was getting.

We have 5 roster spots open at the very minimum with 3 incoming freshmen currently. I would guess 2-3 more get processed or leave. We will have a significant portal class.

Andrew Taylor was a big get out of the portal and a total letdown. But it’s a stretch to assume that scenario is going to be some kind of a recurring issue.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

The good folks funding our basketball NIL have us more than competitive, so I’m not sure your bottom third applies to hoops. We can get a very good big man from the portal for half of what Tolu was getting.

We have 5 roster spots open at the very minimum with 3 incoming freshmen currently. I would guess 2-3 more get processed or leave. We will have a significant portal class.

Andrew Taylor was a big get out of the portal and a total letdown. But it’s a stretch to assume that scenario is going to be some kind of a recurring issue.
Define significant…

like well add some guys or we’ll compete to land some of the best talent in the portal?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Chicken Little Omg GIF by DIVE Studios

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Cam participated in Senior Day. I thought he was done.
I've seen people talk about him coming back or at least having another year. I think Tolu participated last year on Senior Day. If he can and does come back, his role needs to be strictly defined. I wasn't a fan of how much he was handling the ball up top.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Define significant…

like well add some guys or we’ll compete to land some of the best talent in the portal?
Getting 2-3 guys who are near the top at their position in the portal, I would consider that significant. I have seen a few big men that we are after (Amari Williams for example) that would be great additions.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Getting 2-3 guys who are near the top at their position in the portal, I would consider that significant. I have seen a few big men that we are after (Amari Williams for example) that would be great additions.
Wow… that would be bigger gets that I’d expect. Personally if we land 1 guy who’s at the top of his position I’d be thrilled.

I difference maker and 2 role guys would be a great portal haul. I’m not sure we find that difference maker though

Reactions: TNDawg1

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Wow… that would be bigger gets that I’d expect. Personally if we land 1 guy who’s at the top of his position I’d be thrilled.

I difference maker and 2 role guys would be a great portal haul. I’m not sure we find that difference maker though
Sam Alexis is another coming from Chattanooga. If we could get either of those two I would be thrilled. Alexis has two years of eligibility so probably preferable to Williams. I think we will be able to get a good guard who wants to play with Hubbard. No idea who we are targeting there, but Warren is a good signee out of high school who will probably contribute next year.

I see reasons for optimism.

ETA: Ja’kobi Gillespie guard from Belmont. Difference maker.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Sam Alexis is another coming from Chattanooga. If we could get either of those two I would be thrilled. Alexis has two years of eligibility so probably preferable to Williams. I think we will be able to get a good guard who wants to play with Hubbard. No idea who we are targeting there, but Warren is a good signee out of high school who will probably contribute next year.

I see reasons for optimism.
And this is what I disagree with.

Hubbard has yet to show he can make others around him better… on top of he is a volume shooter, he took double the shots of anyone else on the team.

I don’t think players in the portal are going to say I want to go play with him. Not saying he’ll push them away either, but I don’t see it as a positive.

kids in the portal are leaving for opportunities. It’s clear the way we play that Hubbard is sitting at the head of the table and everyone else is fighting for scraps

So the portal guys we get have to come knowing they aren’t going to be the main guys… think it’ll be a tougher sell than we think.. and a big probably easier to get than a guard because of that

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
If OM is truly sending a big offer to Hubb we should offer Murrell the same figure. I don’t know that we haven’t already but we should.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The true marooners ganged up on me for being critical about a 2nd straight one and done in the tournament.

Says year 2 for Jans was a step forward. I'm sorry, but losing by 18 in round 1 doesn't feel like a step forward.
Vroom Maroon.

But one thing to consider is that we actually made it one round farther this year, so the one and dones aren't the same. We took another step forward.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Next goals for Mississippi State is to get better seeding in the Tourney. They have proven they can make it routinely, time to move up with better matchups. State has been screwed both years in terms of the matchups. Wish we had Oakland to play against.
Will be very interesting to see what happens with underclassmen players and transfers. Especially Josh.
We need a dominant post player next season too.
Seems like the difference in Southern, Kentucky and South Carolina home games. Probably a damn 5 seed without those chokes.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
And this is what I disagree with.

Hubbard has yet to show he can make others around him better… on top of he is a volume shooter, he took double the shots of anyone else on the team.

I don’t think players in the portal are going to say I want to go play with him. Not saying he’ll push them away either, but I don’t see it as a positive.

kids in the portal are leaving for opportunities. It’s clear the way we play that Hubbard is sitting at the head of the table and everyone else is fighting for scraps

So the portal guys we get have to come knowing they aren’t going to be the main guys… think it’ll be a tougher sell than we think.. and a big probably easier to get than a guard because of that
Good luck selling any portal player on coming here if we refuse to pony up and pay the best freshman we've ever had. You know there are players in the portal who aren't primary scorers but really help a team right? It's not like the portal is exclusively ball dominant shooting guards.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Good luck selling any portal player on coming here if we refuse to pony up and pay the best freshman we've ever had. You know there are players in the portal who aren't primary scorers but really help a team right? It's not like the portal is exclusively ball dominant shooting guards.
Yes I do. That’s what I said if we get 1 impact guy and 2 role guys I’d be thrilled.

the game is a guards game though, and there is only one basketball. A guard can’t really impact the game without the ball and shots. Right now a lot of those are spoken for… hence why trying to sell another guard to come be back court mates with Hubbard isn’t going to be an easy sell

and btw: who said Hubbard wasn’t going to get paid. The assumption is he will

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
The flip side of that coin is that it was our 2nd worst margin of defeat in our tournament history. We lost by 19 to UCLA in 1995, and they won it all.

This game had significantly less to do with Meatchicken Lite and way more to do with us being a soft basketball team. Its a team we certainly should’ve gone toe to toe with, and we got out lunch eaten.
3rd worst. We lost by 20 as a 5 seed to Eastern Michigan in 91. I don't want to see another green Michigan team in the NCAAT.

Reactions: eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login