SEC and Big 10 joining up to fix college football

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
***But what about "The Alliance"?***
The Big Ten was self-righteously pontificating about their anger toward the SEC for raiding Texas & Oklahoma from the Big 12 until they decided to drop an atomic bomb on the Pac-12.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
SEC & Big 10 to the NCAA:

Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now, I say...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've been trying to tell you guys, the SEC/BIG 10 won't be part of the path forward. They WILL BE the path forward.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
All current SEC/BIG 10 schools are safe. ND is safe. Top tier ACC teams are safe. However, mid-lower tier ACC and much of the Big 12 is probably getting puckered up right now. Probably be a 60-70 team association. Revenue sharing may not be equal though.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see the big deal. They will just form another NCAA if they actually do something, which I think they won't. Some questions:

- Will they take over the NCAA tournament? NCAA would sue the shlt out of them.
- Again and again and again - what to do about Title 9 and all that?

I think the commissioners might be biting off more than they can chew, and create a bigger mess than they want.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't see the big deal. They will just form another NCAA if they actually do something, which I think they won't. Some questions:

I think the commissioners might be biting off more than they can chew, and create a bigger mess than they want.
As far as I understand it, for football, the NCAA isn't involved in the CFP. I doubt there's much interest in managing the lesser sports and the NCAA runs the basketball tourney, so look for the top football programs to reclassify eventually.

Reactions: Papapat.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
As far as I understand it, for football, the NCAA isn't involved in the CFP. I doubt there's much interest in managing the lesser sports and the NCAA runs the basketball tourney, so look for the top football programs to reclassify eventually.
I meant basketball, and all the other tournaments that the NCAA owns.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
At first glance, this feels like a good thing for State. The biggest potential disaster scenario is a breakaway league. As long as the BIG and SEC stay intact, then we’re good. A partnership between the 2 conferences “hopefully” would keep that the case.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

They can have whatever tournament they want. Doesn’t have to be called “NCAA tournament”. NCAA has no leg to stand on there whatsoever.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
They can have whatever tournament they want. Doesn’t have to be called “NCAA tournament”. NCAA has no leg to stand on there whatsoever.
Correct. They own the tournament not the schools the choose to play. It would just go the way of the NIT. It used to be THE tournament until the NCAA started its own and the schools followed.

Reactions: HRMSU

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
At first glance, this feels like a good thing for State. The biggest potential disaster scenario is a breakaway league. As long as the BIG and SEC stay intact, then we’re good. A partnership between the 2 conferences “hopefully” would keep that the case.
This was always going to be the way it was going down. Power brokers in the two conferences weren't going to give up their power to form a new organization. Both conferneces, all their teams, were always going to stay intact.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. But the SEC-Big 10 basketball tournament isn't going to be anywhere near the TV draw the NCAA tournament will be. The SEC and Big 10 aren't going anywhere. But they will virtually dictate the shape of the top college football division and playoffs. And this is the first step towards that.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah. But the SEC-Big 10 basketball tournament isn't going to be anywhere near the TV draw the NCAA tournament will be. The SEC and Big 10 aren't going anywhere. But they will virtually dictate the shape of the top college football division and playoffs. And this is the first step towards that.
That’s not the end game. The SEC / B1G collectively leading the charge to the 50-60 team Super League (which will include just about every basketball blue blood as well), and seceding from the NCAA IS the end game. And just the Top 32 teams from that league in a postseason tournament would turn the existing NCAA tourney into a laughing stock. Will be just another NIT / CBI.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

I’m sure they could hire you as creative outside the box thinker and ideal wall to bounce things off of before they do them.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I meant basketball, and all the other tournaments that the NCAA owns.
Couldn’t this new league just create their own tournaments?

If they leave the ncaa and then create the sec big 10 basketball tournament, there isn’t much the ncaa can do. Assuming they can legally get out of the ncaa as member institutions.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If a large majority of the good basketball teams leave the ncaa, the tournament won’t be near the tv draw it is today.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s not the end game. The SEC / B1G collectively leading the charge to the 50-60 team Super League (which will include just about every basketball blue blood as well), and seceding from the NCAA IS the end game. And just the Top 32 teams from that league in a postseason tournament would turn the existing NCAA tourney into a laughing stock. Will be just another NIT / CBI.
When they get the NCAA to give them everything they want, why would they leave? And the NCAA will give them everything they want because of the threat of leaving. I guess it's semantics. Whatever the organizing body is called, Big10/SEC or NCAA, the Big 2 conferences will control it at the highest level.

edit: I do agree the 50-60 school break is coming. I just think it will be a new football division within NCAA Div I. And it will be pretty much autonomous for football.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Who do you think has been more likely to play favorites. The NCAA or conferences? For those of you saying this is going to be a good thing, if the conferences now have compliance power, don’t you think they are going to side with their money making blue bloods? The conferences are all about TV revenue and a State vs Iowa national championship isn’t setting Nielsen records.

What are they aiming to fix too? They can’t do anything about NIL except possibly tighten it up. But if a player knows they can go to USC and get 7 figure national spokesman deal the conference can’t do anything about it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
When they get the NCAA to give them everything they want, why would they leave? And the NCAA will give them everything they want because of the threat of leaving. I guess it's semantics. Whatever the organizing body is called, Big10/SEC or NCAA, the Big 2 conferences will control it at the highest level.

edit: I do agree the 50-60 school break is coming. I just think it will be a new football division within NCAA Div I. And it will be pretty much autonomous for football.
If the NCAA “gives them everything they want”, then there is no longer a need for the NCAA to exist. The NCAA is a financial drain in tens of millions per year on the entire system as it is….they bring nothing of value and take money that should be going to the conferences, schools, and players. They will not survive, nor do they need to in this new world order where it’s now just professional sports.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Who do you think has been more likely to play favorites. The NCAA or conferences? For those of you saying this is going to be a good thing, if the conferences now have compliance power, don’t you think they are going to side with their money making blue bloods? The conferences are all about TV revenue and a State vs Iowa national championship isn’t setting Nielsen records.

What are they aiming to fix too? They can’t do anything about NIL except possibly tighten it up. But if a player knows they can go to USC and get 7 figure national spokesman deal the conference can’t do anything about it.
I don’t think either is more likely to play favorites than the other. Both are just bowing at the feet of the money schools. But the NCAA does so just so they can continue to be the blood sucking mosquito that doesn’t get swatted. The conferences at least bring legitimacy and prestige that all the schools need, serve as a unified front when negotiating TV contracts, and do bring value to the system as a whole.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

“The King is dead. Long live the King”

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They can if they just hire all the same NCAA people. And there will be no difference. So what's the point in all this. The NCAA doesn't know how to handle all this stuff. The commissioners don't either. Apparently the legislators don't as well, they just don't want their states left behind (TN, VA, etc.). So there doesn't appear they can be a governing body. The new one will get sued too, unless it's just a straight free-for-all. So why have any, except to put on a tournament and crown a champion?

Just grinds my gears watching Sankey sit up there like he's going to change something, and blaming others. The schools are JUST as complicit in this system as the NCAA is. The schools are the NCAA - they are the same.

Reactions: mcdawg22 and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They can if they just hire all the same NCAA people. And there will be no difference.
Lol what? Do you really think the NCAA has some secret formula of selecting teams and setting a format that can’t be replicated by any team of slapdicks anywhere?

You’ve been fooled into believing that the NCAA tournament is beloved by millions because of Cinderella runs and no name teams excelling on the big stage. Horseshít. The NCAA tournament is beloved because of UK, Duke, UCLA, Michigan, UNC, Texas, Indiana, etc. People either rooting for them or against them. Those fans drive the viewership. Take those teams away, and what’s left will have even lower interest than the FCS playoffs.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Lol what? Do you really think the NCAA has some secret formula of selecting teams and setting a format that can’t be replicated by any team of slapdicks anywhere?

You’ve been fooled into believing that the NCAA tournament is beloved by millions because of Cinderella runs and no name teams excelling on the big stage. Horseshít. The NCAA tournament is beloved because of UK, Duke, UCLA, Michigan, UNC, Texas, Indiana, etc. Those fans drive the viewership. Take those teams away, and what’s left will have even lower interest than the FCS playoffs.
I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm talking about the logistics and facilitation of a major tournament.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

This is on point. ^^^

Form a new league... won't matter. You'll still have nil and transfer portal because the courts have ruled. NIL and transfers are here to stay.

Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I apologize if this has been covered in this thread but nothing is "fixed" until the people making the money off of "college" football start paying the player salaries....that ain't the fans.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm talking about the logistics and facilitation of a major tournament.
That’s even easier.

32 teams.

4 locations each host the first 3 rounds. Four 8-team regionals. Then each regional winner goes to the Final 4 in fill-in-the-blank indoor football stadium. Nail down four NBA or large college arenas, and one NFL stadium for one weekend each. Super league gives cash allotment to each tourney school to arrange transportation / hotels / etc.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Great post

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Question. If the NFL was run like college football currently is ( unrestrained system where the wealthiest cities could simply money whip the poorer cities) what would it look like and how long would it survive ?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Question. If the NFL was run like college football currently is ( unrestrained system where the wealthiest cities could simply money whip the poorer cities) what would it look like and how long would it survive ?
Well all the cities big enough to have an NFL franchise would have riches (with the exception of Green Bay - a massive enigma in the professional sports world).

The Packers would really, really suck. The rest of it would just be like MLB….where the wealthiest franchises (not necessarily cities) would claim every elite player as soon as their 2nd contract rolled around. But all first contracts would just be one year long, so it would be a million times worse.

Reactions: Maroon13

MississippiTexan

Jun 11, 2014
I don't think it would look the same. I think this league will have revenue sharing and probably some form of contract with the school since they will now be paid by the school. They will be willing to share with the top 60-70 schools, but no one wants to share revenue with New Mexico St. who bring absolutely nothing to the table. This wipes out the bottom 60-70 schools and relegates them to FCS. It's going to be more of a pro style league. And for everyone who says that won't work, I don't buy it. College fans are different, loyal to their school no matter where they move in the country or world. And we aren't necessarily loyal to the players anyway until after they graduate from our school. Even if they stay at our school they are only there at most 4 or 5 years typically, 3 for the really good ones who can go pro.

The biggest question I have for it all is once we fully say these players are employees and are paid by the schools and get a cut of the revenue, what happens with the other sports and Title IX. Are all the sports going to break away and form their own league? Does football want to revenue share with all of the other men's/women's sports? Could they get around Title IX by just paying football players and not giving them scholarships? If so it could have big effects on other sports, mainly womens.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Despite the challenges of competing in a loaded conference, it’s going to be one of our biggest recruiting draws. Do you want to play in the big leagues or not?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Despite the challenges of competing in a loaded conference, it’s going to be one of our biggest recruiting draws. Do you want to play in the big leagues or not?
I’m not so sure. Is it better to get our brains beat in every week for more money, or be very competitive in a 2nd tier with the other lower tier SEC schools, the Big 12, most of the ACC & a few of the top AAC schools? Admittedly, it’s a LOT of money. But I like to win too. Realistically, we’re going to cling to the top tier as long as we can.

Reactions: 85Bears

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
College sports are evolving from amateur to professional. The SEC and Big10 want to expand moneymaking beyond football and basketball. Tapping your wallet to get as much as possible is the goal. This year Softball is charging $5 for attendance which is fine with me but expect that for all sports going forward. The teams in the Super Conference will need to demonstrate a financial portfolio to prove they belong. I expect schools to sell All Sport passes that will give you a discount to attend all games with a premier charge for reserved seats. After all, it is a product for sale.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login