SEC and Big 10 joining up to fix college football

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I apologize if this has been covered in this thread but nothing is "fixed" until the people making the money off of "college" football start paying the player salaries....that ain't the fans.
Who are those people? That's a big roadblock to all the 'make the players employees' crowd. It's not that simple. Is it the school president? AD? Coaches? Staffers? All these folks are salaried. At best, the head coach is the only one you can claim is getting rich. But these are schools - nonprofits - there's no big George Soros boogeyman out there. The only reason many of these players have an NIL worth is because BOOSTERS want to win. That is a big fact that is being left off. I'd say 1% of college athletes have a true NIL brand that commands commercial money.

Boosters have always paid players, for $50 years. If you make them employees, the system will change into something nobody wants. Perhaps the answer is just a raised stipend from the TV money - but you're still going to have boosters out there paying players above and beyond that. But maybe it'll curb it to an extent.

Question. If the NFL was run like college football currently is ( unrestrained system where the wealthiest cities could simply money whip the poorer cities) what would it look like and how long would it survive ?
You're talking about 2 fundamentally different systems. All levels of sport are different. The NFL is meant to produce the best football product there is, and it does, due to the draft, salary cap, etc. It's 'fair' (as fair can be, anyway). College has never been that way, it's always been about stockpiling better players than the other guy. Keep going down to high school, and it's 'sorta' like the NFL, where at least you have defined school districts, even though that can be corrupted. Then you go down further, you have youth travel sports, which is about like the current college format - just a free for all, and stack as much talent as possible. The old rec system of sports, with a draft, was much more like the NFL - and better.

So in conclusion, it appears to me it's obvious what has ruined the systems that are on the brink of collapse (which is the college system and the youth sports circuit) - it is the absolute, no holds barred, never-ending will to win. To do whatever is necessary, with no regard to what competition is really about. It's devolved into hatred type levels. Now, here we are, and the money follows that drama. Look at the Real Housewives.

So how did it happen? Bad system and bad leadership I guess. So blame the NCAA like everybody else? Maybe, but the system was always rigged from the beginning. But in the infancy of college sports, you at least had regionality and travel constraints that imposed a semi-geographical 'draft' on programs and conferences. Not anymore. Total free for all, and there's really no prize for winning at this point. All just entertainment.

It was slowly going downhill, but they broke the dam gate with this legal NIL shlt and the portal at the same time. I remember the passion we all had in 2021 when we won that natty. One week later they did this crap, and it's never been the same. We likely will never have that feeling again. It'll be fun from time to time, but not like before.

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Despite the challenges of competing in a loaded conference, it’s going to be one of our biggest recruiting draws. Do you want to play in the big leagues or not?
Always has been. It's always been funny to me that we've been able to beat out other conference's teams just be saying we were the SEC. No matter how good those teams were.

We're never willingly giving that up, like @patdog said. I honestly don't know the right answer. Probably best to hold on as long as we can, innovate football, and really push NIL onto basketball and baseball, so we can at least say we are winners at something.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
College sports are evolving from amateur to professional. The SEC and Big10 want to expand moneymaking beyond football and basketball. Tapping your wallet to get as much as possible is the goal. This year Softball is charging $5 for attendance which is fine with me but expect that for all sports going forward.
I think this would not even make the Top 100 list of things to be discussed between the SEC and the B1G.

Does anyone care at all about paying $5 for a softball / tennis / soccer ticket? Really?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think this would not even make the Top 100 list of things to be discussed between the SEC and the B1G.

Does anyone care at all about paying $5 for a softball / tennis / soccer ticket? Really?
My point was that they will want to elevate the importance of other sports to a level that makes more money with ESPN. I used Softball as a on campus example. Softball has been increasing in popularity with fans. College football and basketball are already tops for fans and they can't expect to make a lot more on those two sports other than raising prices again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login