SEC Officials on the Take

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Please elaborate on how "this" has been thought through before. Not trying to be combative or confrontational. I just want to know how Mississippi State fans are supposed to think that it is par for the course.

The "this" I'm referring to is the idea of paying refs to be full time employees. I doubt this is done anywhere in the world where refs officiate maybe 15 games a year.

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
The "this" I'm referring to is the idea of paying refs to be full time employees. I doubt this is done anywhere in the world where refs officiate maybe 15 games a year.

how many dollars would you put on the event of Mississippi State vs Arkansas? how much is that event, in and of itself, worth?

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
Just to clarify...who else thinks that either the first play in question was a touchdown or that the denial of the touchdown resulted in an inaccurate spot? OR, you think the refs got it right all the way?

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
We shouldn't minimize the impact of the calls based on the final score. If, for example, the very first call were reversed as it should been and we were awarded a TD, it changes everything going forward--momentum, player/coach mentality on both sides of the ball, play calling on Arkansas' next possession, etc. The score could have ended very differently including the extremes of our winning to our getting a worse beatdown.

Reactions: MoronDawg

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022

Since I'm from Mississippi, I'm prolly not smart enough to understand all the logistics, but $1 billion is one thousand million, right? I don't need to know how they do it. I just don't want to see my people screwed over by the incompetence of it.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Every team gets bad calls that go against them. The good teams overcome them and move on. The bad teams get hung up on how one or two calls changed the whole direction of the game, and maybe someone is out to get them.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, anytime Alabama lost a game, which was rare, their fans would complain about bad calls. I know a guy who still claims Bo Jackson was short of the goal line in his over the top leap in 1982.

And who all remembers those Auburn knuckleheads in 2014 complaining about bad calls in Starkville? Every time I looked at the replays I saw textbook penalties, but whatever.

I still don't think Rod Gibson got in the end zone against LSU in 1999. But I dont feel bad about it.

Reactions: She Mate Me

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
Every team gets bad calls that go against them. The good teams overcome them and move on. The bad teams get hung up on how one or two calls changed the whole direction of the game, and maybe someone is out to get them.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, anytime Alabama lost a game, which was rare, their fans would complain about bad calls. I know a guy who still claims Bo Jackson was short of the goal line in his over the top leap in 1982.

And who all remembers those Auburn knuckleheads in 2014 complaining about bad calls in Starkville? Every time I looked at the replays I saw textbook penalties, but whatever.

I still don't think Rod Gibson got in the end zone against LSU in 1999. But I dont feel bad about it.

You have a winner's attitude. I appreciate it. I don't think that the team altered its efforts based upon the calls.

Nonetheless, do you think that the calls were correct? Did the calls change the momentum of the game?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I don't know what game you were watching, but Gibson definitely got in that end zone.

The question is whether it was on the first or second bounce...

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If you're able to be objective (rare) then you'll admit State has benefited at times from the refs in the past seasons.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
All of this referee mystery is nothing new. It has been going on for many, many years. Do I think that the referees try to protect certain teams? Absolutely. I have seen it waaay too many times to think otherwise and while I am mostly focused on our games, I have seen it happen to plenty of other teams too. It’s primarily the teams that are ranked high in the polls plus of course, always Alabama. We were actually on the receiving end of the protection in our 2014 game with Kentucky. We recognized it immediately and honestly I felt a bit embarrassed by it because we know all too well what being on the other side of that feels like. Now, do I think the front office is directing the referees to manipulate the outcome of certain games? No, not really but I do sometimes wonder. Do I think that certain individual referees or certain referee crews try to manipulate specific situations in some games? Absolutely. They normally don’t give a flip when we play an Arkansas, or Vandy, or ole miss type of opponent, but they do care when we play an Alabama or Georgia type of opponent when the playoffs are on the line. Sometimes it’s hard to decide between incompetence and something more nefarious. Yesterday was probably incompetence and just a lot of don’t care. There used to be an SEC referee named Skelton whose Grandfather had played quarterback for Bear Bryant. That SOB was as crooked as they come and always had Alabama’s back. It’s not just the SEC, I used to travel a great deal for work and of course ended up in many football conversations with customers around the country. People all over the Big 10 felt just like we do and were totally convinced that Ohio State received constant protection from the referees. I guess we will never know for sure, but I don’t trust them at all and it’s been that way for a really long time.
And to my earlier comments, I just saw an article about Nebraska being very upset over calls helping Ohio State yesterday in a close game. More incompetence or a little help? Who knows…..

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
If you're able to be objective (rare) then you'll admit State has benefited at times from the refs in the past seasons.

Lo, I hate to be an a--hat, but I am what I am. Winners do NOT give one f about how a broken system benefitted them. (see also one Nicholas Saban). Are you all not enraged by seeing MSU get completely screwed over and disregarded in a pivotal moment in a pivotal game in a season that is hanging by a thread?

Sure it's just one call. Then, it was just one more call. Then, we better make one more call on the touchdown we called. Sure, we're just making calls. What are these refs sellin'? Vacuum cleaners?

You do have a voice. Outside of Mississippi, there are college football fans who love the game and the sport of it.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
OP’s name checks out. Arkansas beat the dog sh!+ out of the worst team in the SEC. 58 to 25 or 58 to 46 covers the spread either way. Yes, there were some terrible calls made, but Arkansas is a better team and deserved to win. The only “due reward” for this poorly coached team is a 1-11 record and a coaching staff and administration that can’t sit down all summer for the white hot flames under their seats.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login