• IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 36

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I had one walk under my climbing stand bow hunting in the far northwest corner of Desoto County along the levee about 20 years ago. After he looked up at me and ran off I climbed down very quickly and got the hell out of there.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
ACDD9EA9-0311-44E2-BB91-4ECE8FA2D7D7.jpeg
Looks smaller than the “panther” by Wendy’s in Hernando.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
bigfoot sasquatch GIF

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Y’all realize that a Florida panther and a mountain Lion are the same animal, right?
At any rate, those pictures are never going to be able to provide a definitive ID of the creature in question.
Yep. There's also no such thing as a Black Panther but there are Black Jaguars and Leopards (rare). Jags are in Northern Mexico and wouldn't be surprised if a few made it into the American SW.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Yep. There's also no such thing as a Black Panther but there are Black Jaguars and Leopards (rare). Jags are in Northern Mexico and wouldn't be surprised if a few made it into the American SW.
Yeah. Jaguars are known to be in the southwestern region of the US. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find out we had a few mountain lions in Mississippi from time to time.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yeah. Jaguars are known to be in the southwestern region of the US. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find out we had a few mountain lions in Mississippi from time to time.
Google sez Panthers are limited to South FL East of the MS River but I'm not convinced. Panthers and bobcats / lynx are among the most successful big cats based on range from Southern Argentina to Alaska. You'd think there's some panthers hanging out in southern Bamer, MS & LA.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Y’all realize that a Florida panther and a mountain Lion are the same animal, right?
At any rate, those pictures are never going to be able to provide a definitive ID of the creature in question.

There are differences between the

Florida Panther

panther_remote_camera.jpg

There are very few Florida Panthers. I doubt it was. It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

90.jpg

Mountain Lions are usually bigger and have a different form. I don't think that either have been officially documented in Mississippi.
We've had a few photographed or videoed here in south central Texas in the edges of the hill country but most have been misidentified The last sighting was actually a 3D target someone had left behind.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Florida Panther

View attachment 287307

There are very few Florida Panthers. I doubt it was. It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

View attachment 287305

Mountain Lions are usually bigger and have a different form. I don't think that either have been officially documented in Mississippi.
We've had a few photographed or videoed here in south central Texas in the edges of the hill country but most have been misidentified The last sighting was actually a 3D target someone had left behind.
I don't think there's a single animal that's basically the same animal with so many different names. Northern animals are typically gonna be bigger with more fat to survive colder temps. Nice Pics. I love Cats. Gonna have a pet bobcat one day.

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
That tail though... not a bobcat.
It’s a coyote. The blurry pics make it hard to tell, but if you look closely you can make out enough of the ears to rule out a lion. The front shoulder looks more canine too, especially the way that left front is striding out in the first photo. And the midsection, a cats typically doesn’t taper down as much as a canine’s.

Last edited:

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
That's an out of focus picture of a racoon.
Looking at what appears to be a pointy black nose, I thought raccoon or gray fox. Ears are too small for a fox. So I’m sticking with raccoon. Although I know we have the random mountain lion/cougar/panther in Mississippi. Bottom pic is a raccoon and the face looks the same as the trail cam pic if it was in focus.

1671887318684.jpeg1671887440570.jpeg

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022

Florida Panther

View attachment 287307

View attachment 287305

They are the same cat. The Florida panther is just a subspecies of mountain lion. You could put one next to the other and you’d have to be a biologist who studied the two to tell the difference.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I’ve seen a big black cat in Monroe County. I never believed the stories until I saw one on my way to work one morning.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login