Seen around Georgetown

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to kill a mountain lion unless self defense was involved or one that's gone rogue and disrupting livestock?

I don't know. But if they're acting within the guidelines of a well managed state or local wildlife management plan, I don't care much. Not something I'd do, but people are different.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The reason given for killing bobcats in the south is that they kill turkeys and fawns. Personally, they are too cat-like for me to kill, but I will kill a coyote for the same reasons. A sizable population of cougars here would likely have a noticeable effect on turkeys, whitetail, and outdoor pets (in a limited area).

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The reason given for killing bobcats in the south is that they kill turkeys and fawns. Personally, they are too cat-like for me to kill, but I will kill a coyote for the same reasons. A sizable population of cougars here would likely have a noticeable effect on turkeys, whitetail, and outdoor pets (in a limited area).
Are deer and turkeys endangered? I've never heard of bobcats, mountain lions or coyotes having a noticeable negative impact on the environment.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Are deer and turkeys endangered? I've never heard of bobcats, mountain lions or coyotes having a noticeable negative impact on the environment.
Coyotes can certainly have a noticeable impact on the whitetail deer population. I don't turkey hunt, so I can't comment on that (I'm just repeating what I hear from turkey hunters). Again I don't shoot bobcats (although every other redneck I know does), they are so small and in such numbers that I don't think they cause any harm, that is not the case with coyotes.

I'm guessing a cougar in the 'Sip would likely consume 2x3 times the volume of food that a bobcat consumes?

IMO, wild hogs are a much bigger issue than any of the above, the environmental damage they can cause is devastating in some areas. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with them, we did have a pack of them for a month or so this summer, but they moved on and we haven't seen them since. They did do significant damage to the levee of a farm pond.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Coyotes can certainly have a noticeable impact on the whitetail deer population. I don't turkey hunt, so I can't comment on that (I'm just repeating what I hear from turkey hunters). Again I don't shoot bobcats (although every other redneck I know does), they are so small and in such numbers that I don't think they cause any harm, that is not the case with coyotes.

I'm guessing a cougar in the 'Sip would likely consume 2x3 times the volume of food that a bobcat consumes?

IMO, wild hogs are a much bigger issue than any of the above, the environmental damage they can cause is devastating in some areas. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with them, we did have a pack of them for a month or so this summer, but they moved on and we haven't seen them since. They did do significant damage to the levee of a farm pond.
Where are coyotes decimating deer populations?

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Where are coyotes decimating deer populations?

Apparently the U.S. Government kills over 90,000 coyotes per year to stop stock predation. This is a great article linked here.

The Effect of Coyotes on Deer Populations​

What are the effects of coyotes on deer? Studies have confirmed that coyotes dramatically affect white-tailed deer populations. Coyotes prey on deer fawns; thus fawn survival naturally is threatened by a large number of coyotes. The number of fawns and thus of adult deer is directly affected by the coyote’s diet and behavior.
The researchers of a northern Alabama study included Dr. Karl Miller[1] of the University of Georgia, Cory Van-Gilder[2], graduate of the University of Georgia, and Dr. Grant Woods[3], graduate of Missouri State University, University of Georgia, and Clemson University. The study focused on 2,000 acres where 22 coyotes and 10 bobcats were removed during fawning season. The result was a doubled deer fawn population.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Apparently the U.S. Government kills over 90,000 coyotes per year to stop stock predation. This is a great article linked here.

What are the effects of coyotes on deer? Studies have confirmed that coyotes dramatically affect white-tailed deer populations. Coyotes prey on deer fawns; thus fawn survival naturally is threatened by a large number of coyotes. The number of fawns and thus of adult deer is directly affected by the coyote’s diet and behavior.
The researchers of a northern Alabama study included Dr. Karl Miller[1] of the University of Georgia, Cory Van-Gilder[2], graduate of the University of Georgia, and Dr. Grant Woods[3], graduate of Missouri State University, University of Georgia, and Clemson University. The study focused on 2,000 acres where 22 coyotes and 10 bobcats were removed during fawning season. The result was a doubled deer fawn population.
Mississippi has an overpopulation of whitetail deer and Turkeys are making a very dramatic comeback.

Only issues with coyotes is from a livestock standpoint.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Of COURSE the population would double without predation. Were the increased numbers a healthy thing? Are we more concerned about how many deer hunters can bag or the overall environment?

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Of COURSE the population would double without predation. Were the increased numbers a healthy thing? Are we more concerned about how many deer hunters can bag or the overall environment?
I have family land that I hunt on, so yes I’m concerned about the carrying capacity of the land for whitetails. We have improved the land way above and beyond what it will naturally carry and that goes for other animals as well. I want my children to have a good experience hunting and understand what it means to eat meat and have the connection to it that God intended. We fish there as well. I don’t shoot coyotes, but I’ll Start if I see an abundance of them and a decline in fawn population. I’m not suggesting you are, but I’ve had people lecture me on the environment. I’ll ask them what they do compared to what I do. I’ve planted more trees than most and managed healthy deer herds and ponds the best I can while bringing children into the fun. It’s a win/win.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I have family land that I hunt on, so yes I’m concerned about the carrying capacity of the land for whitetails. We have improved the land way above and beyond what it will naturally carry and that goes for other animals as well. I want my children to have a good experience hunting and understand what it means to eat meat and have the connection to it that God intended. We fish there as well. I don’t shoot coyotes, but I’ll Start if I see an abundance of them and a decline in fawn population. I’m not suggesting you are, but I’ve had people lecture me on the environment. I’ll ask them what they do compared to what I do. I’ve planted more trees than most and managed healthy deer herds and ponds the best I can while bringing children into the fun. It’s a win/win.
I respect that and I respect deer hunters. I respect the fact God gave us Dominion and put animals here for us to respect and consume. I've just read info on killing certain predators is not environmentally sound and can have adverse consequences.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Thanks, I try to let predators go free unless they are after my animals, which hasn’t occurred outside of a raccoon after chickens.
I respect that and I respect deer hunters. I respect the fact God gave us Dominion and put animals here for us to respect and consume. I've just read info on killing certain predators is not environmentally sound and can have adverse consequences.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Killing apex predators has gigantic ramifications. Matter of fact, all large game generally has ramifications. Like the American Buffalo being our keystone species for our country.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't know. But if they're acting within the guidelines of a well managed state or local wildlife management plan, I don't care much. Not something I'd do, but people are different.
I respect hunters who kill to harvest the meat but not trophy hunting. My Dad taught me if you kill it, eat it.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
Wild melanistsic big cats are only recorded in Asia, (leopard) Central and South America (Jaguar). The Florida panther was saved from extinction by introducing wild mountain lions caught in south Texas and transported into the southern everglades to reestablish a breeding population. So pretty much all of the remaining 100 or so wild Florida panthers are mixed with the western mountain lion, genetically speaking.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login