Sellers or Ashford vs Ole Miss?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
By the time the Ole Miss game rolls around, Sellers will have gone 3 weeks without taking a game snap and will be coming off an injury, having missed a decent bit of practice time. Makes me a bit nervous to go into such a big game with a young QB who will be knocking rust off. After starting the season pretty rough, he appeared to be rounding into form against LSU before the injury.

I was not at all impressed with Ashford against LSU as he was basically a 0% threat to pass the ball. However, some of that was play calling, as our coaches went ultra-conservative, but some was also Ashford opting to run the ball when the coaches did want him to pass. He looked more comfortable against Akron (as he should) and showed a pretty decent arm.

With one start against Akron under his belt, I would not call him the hot hand, but it does concern me about Sellers. Will he be able to pick up where he left off against LSU, or will he have regressed to more how he started the season? If he were a seasoned veteran, it wouldn't concern me, but he's got 3 starts and 2.5 games of experience under his belt.

I suppose maybe you got with Sellers, but if he looks shaky, have a short leash and bring in Ashford. We will have an exceedingly narrow margin for error on this on.

Sleepyhead

Jul 23, 2023
I don’t think the coaches have any reason to deviate from their original decision to name Sellers the starter. I’m sure they are not surprised by what they saw against Akron from Ashford and are plenty aware of both quarterbacks abilities.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
Sellers is the starting QB and he should start. If we were playing Ole Miss last week he would have played.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
By the time the Ole Miss game rolls around, Sellers will have gone 3 weeks without taking a game snap and will be coming off an injury, having missed a decent bit of practice time. Makes me a bit nervous to go into such a big game with a young QB who will be knocking rust off. After starting the season pretty rough, he appeared to be rounding into form against LSU before the injury.

I was not at all impressed with Ashford against LSU as he was basically a 0% threat to pass the ball. However, some of that was play calling, as our coaches went ultra-conservative, but some was also Ashford opting to run the ball when the coaches did want him to pass. He looked more comfortable against Akron (as he should) and showed a pretty decent arm.

With one start against Akron under his belt, I would not call him the hot hand, but it does concern me about Sellers. Will he be able to pick up where he left off against LSU, or will he have regressed to more how he started the season? If he were a seasoned veteran, it wouldn't concern me, but he's got 3 starts and 2.5 games of experience under his belt.

I suppose maybe you got with Sellers, but if he looks shaky, have a short leash and bring in Ashford. We will have an exceedingly narrow margin for error on this on.
Ashford's performance against Akron last week makes me wonder what would've happened if the coaches had loosened the reins just a little more against LSU. Sadly, we'll never know.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I'm not opposed to an all out competition with a clean slate in practice next week being we have two QBs who both have gotten past first game jitters. If all seems equal, I'd go with Ashford because he has the ball and hasn't done anything yet that says it should be taken away imo.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

USClight

Joined Feb 5, 2003
Jan 19, 2022
“I suppose maybe you got with Sellers, but if he looks shaky, have a short leash and bring in Ashford. We will have an exceedingly narrow margin for error on this on.”

This is my thoughts as well

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm not opposed to an all out competition with a clean slate in practice next week being we have two QBs who both have gotten past first game jitters. If all seems equal, I'd go with Ashford because he has the ball and hasn't done anything yet that says it should be taken away imo.
Sellers did not play very well in the first 2 games. He was pretty bad against ODU. He was a bit better against UK. Then played well the first half of the LSU game. Now he hasn’t played in 3 weeks.

Just concerns me that he’ll come in rusty. Again, if he was a seasoned veteran, coming back after three weeks, no big deal but he’s still learning the game. Did the three weeks off push him back to where he was in the Old Dominion or Kentucky games? Will you be able to come in, after three week break, and pick up where he left off in the LSU game? I hope so so

Reactions: Blues man

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Sellers did not play very well in the first 2 games. He was pretty bad against ODU. He was a bit better against UK. Then played well the first half of the LSU game. Now he hasn’t played in 3 weeks.

Just concerns me that he’ll come in rusty. Again, if he was a seasoned veteran, coming back after three weeks, no big deal but he’s still learning the game. Did the three weeks off push him back to where he was in the Old Dominion or Kentucky games? Will you be able to come in, after three week break, and pick up where he left off in the LSU game? I hope so so
Agreed totally. Rust is a concern of mine as well and yeah im not ready to call Sellers a seasoned veteran either lol. I kinda said to myself that it just took more than one game for him to get over first game jitters but in the end, I felt he got there. Something tells me Ashford will not take the challenge lying down and Sellers would need to be pretty convincing. I'd love to be a fly on the wall this week... if coach opens it up. He'd be crazy not to.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
Sellers is by far the QB with the most potential. I'm not sure it helps anything this year or the years to come to start Ashford and for that matter if you going to make the argument of Sellers having rust why not start the 3rd or 4th string QB's since they are arguably as good as Ashford.
I'm not a Ashford hater I just think the whole argument is silly.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Sellers is by far the QB with the most potential. I'm not sure it helps anything this year or the years to come to start Ashford and for that matter if you going to make the argument of Sellers having rust why not start the 3rd or 4th string QB's since they are arguably as good as Ashford.
I'm not a Ashford hater I just think the whole argument is silly.
I dont know who is as good as Ashford. I haven't seen them. I do know he and Sellers looked comparable. Personally I would find it shocking to see a coach of ours consider the future when making these kind of decisions anymore considering football has become all about winning today.

Feb 4, 2022
I dont know who is as good as Ashford. I haven't seen them. I do know he and Sellers looked comparable. Personally I would find it shocking to see a coach of ours consider the future when making these kind of decisions anymore considering football has become all about winning today.
I got the impression that Beamer was definitely considering the future when he kept Sellers out even though LS said he was good to go.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
You saw our 3rd string QB against Akron and he might be a better option against SEC lineman since Ashfords record against them is poor.
I'll be shocked and disappointed if it's anyone other than Sellers though.

Reactions: Blues man

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I got the impression that Beamer was definitely considering the future when he kept Sellers out even though LS said he was good to go.
No doubt about the future. I’m mostly just concerned if you take a young quarterback who had a rocky start and then seemed to settle in in the first half of his third game only to then get knocked out with injury to then miss three weeks. Is he capable of picking up where he left off or what be like a reset? You’re not talking about somebody with two or three years of experience.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You saw our 3rd string QB against Akron and he might be a better option against SEC lineman since Ashfords record against them is poor.
I would certainly be shocked and disappointed since I was incredibly high on sellers coming into the season. It’s not that I don’t think sellers has potential or that he’s gonna not be a good quarterback. It’s just him getting knocked out with an injury just as he was apparently finding a groove and then missing three weeks of play. He doesn’t have the experience of a veteran to come in and basically pick up where he left off. Maybe he will, I don’t know.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Not sure when Ashford joined the team, but I assume Sellers outperformed him in practice and was named the starter. It's kind of standard practice that a starter doesn't lose his job due to injury. Cut and dried to me.

Feb 4, 2022
No doubt about the future. I’m mostly just concerned if you take a young quarterback who had a rocky start and then seemed to settle in in the first half of his third game only to then get knocked out with injury to then miss three weeks. Is he capable of picking up where he left off or what be like a reset? You’re not talking about somebody with two or three years of experience.
Sound logic. With that kind of a thinking you must be playing 4D chess.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Never really thought of a current season as the future. By "future" I was referring to to years... do coaches look beyond a year anymore? Im not even sure they should.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Good point on matches up better. I'd like to think whoever the starting QB is, he earned it.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login