Shame on Byrne & Mullen

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
For giving us hope that we could be a competitive football program. Otherwise, literally no one would feel bad about today’s game.

While 2010 - 2015 was a pretty fun ride, Mullen’s tenure set unrealistic expectations for our program.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
For giving us hope that we could be a competitive football program. Otherwise, literally no one would feel bad about today’s game.

While 2010 - 2015 was a pretty fun ride, Mullen’s tenure set unrealistic expectations for our program.
It’s really not that hard to win here. People need to stop acting like it is. Also it was 2009-2017 that was fun as hell. Finding a coach can be hard. But Mississippi state ain’t the issue

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I know the years….2009 was fun but disappointing (UH “illegal forward pass”, Tyson Lee vs LSU, etc…), then after 14 & 15, Mullen lost his fire and/or got bored and started looking for greener pastures.

Older fans be dammed, Mullen >>>> Jackie

I attended State 92 - 97, so I guess I’m older too, but I said what I said…

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I know the years….2009 was fun but disappointing (UH “illegal forward pass”, Tyson Lee vs LSU, etc…), then after 14 & 15, Mullen lost his fire and/or got bored and started looking for greener pastures.

Older fans be dammed, Mullen >>>> Jackie

I attended State 92 - 97, so I guess I’m older too, but I said what I said…
2017 was pretty fun. Being up 7 on Bama in the fourth. DWS was nuts. 2009 was a blast. Thats all I can ask for.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
2007 vs Bama was better than 2017 (17 Croom, by the way).

2009 was fun, but my point was that Mullen’s middle years were better than his bookend years.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022

I disagree. I’ve been around long enough to grow up through the Bible Bob era. “Let’s Win Something Today”

If a bullfrog had wings etc. But, all things being equal, that dude was freeze before freeze and would have turned us into Boise before boise or something at a higher level. That 1980 team were all his recruits.

So, I understand where you’re coming from but disagree on points of history and fact.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I disagree. I’ve been around long enough to grow up through the Bible Bob era. “Let’s Win Something Today”

If a bullfrog had wings etc. But, all things being equal, that dude was freeze before freeze and would have turned us into Boise before boise or something at a higher level. That 1980 team were all his recruits.

So, I understand where you’re coming from but disagree on points of history and fact.
That’s fair. I was 6 years old in 1980, so my first real memories of MSU football was Felker. Yes, Jackie was an infusion, but even as a teenager & student & recent grad, it was obvious that Jackie’s “greatness” was built on smoke & mirrors.

After Croom, it really felt like Mullen had us headed somewhere sustainable.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
That’s fair. I was 6 years old in 1980, so my first real memories of MSU football was Felker. Yes, Jackie was an infusion, but even as a teenager & student & recent grad, it was obvious that Jackie’s “greatness” was built on smoke & mirrors.

After Croom, it really felt like Mullen had us headed somewhere sustainable.
Evolving world on the ncaa front through all those coaches.

If I could make Jackie 40 years old again and put him at Mississippi state, we’d win a national championship.

He above mullen and maybe Tyler was the greatest evaluator of talent state ever had. His problem was discipline which Mullen didn’t have.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I was 7 in 1980. I remember vaguely the 80 season to Jackie's hiring. Jackie's era was fun and left a huge impression on me. However, It seemed to be more of a roller coaster ride than Mullen's era. Up and down, up and down, we were in the 90s.-03. I agree with the OP. Mullen is our best coach.

However, Stump is right. If Jackie was young today, with NIL.....we would punch above our weight in recruiting. No question.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login