Shame on Mary Mahoneys

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
The US Catfish lobby checks restaurants harder than the health dept. if you ever eat anywhere that has the sign that says they serve US Farm Raised catfish, you can be confident they do.

On Mahoney’s, pretty ****** to mislabel and serve totally different items but still charge the fresh gulf fish premium esp considering you’re literally on the gulf. Flip side, also shows the general public don’t know a gd thing about food. Folks been raving about that fresh gulf snapper aka African lake perch for years

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'll admit, I've never eaten at MMs a single time. But after I moved near the coast, I kept hearing people rave about it. It's just one of those places that's been there a long time and people seem to hold it as a staple for no other reason. The hole in the wall places are generally the best seafood places. But like anything else, I've learned to prepare my own after I get it from a local who I know. I get my beef from a friend in Covington Co, most of my seafood from a friend down here.
Chicken is the same full of water and steroids everybody else gets lol.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Ah, the coast mafia at work . . .

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Had a buddy years ago who worked for Sysco. He showed me the product list one time.

They had like 26 different kinds of prepared potato salad. He would show me which ones were various well known restaurants "signature" tater salads. Funny.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Had a buddy years ago who worked for Sysco. He showed me the product list one time.

They had like 26 different kinds of prepared potato salad. He would show me which ones were various well known restaurants "signature" tater salads. Funny.

I was raving about the egg rolls at a local asian restaurant and a buddy in the know says "you know they buy those from sysco?". That killed it for me.

Very disappointing about Mary Mahoney's. Used to be my favorite place on the coast. Hadn't been there in years and stopped by last June on family trip to Orange Beach and it was pretty meh. My daughter thought the Shrimp Basket in Orange Beach had better gumbo and I couldn't really argue with her.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Flip side, also shows the general public don’t know a gd thing about food. Folks been raving about that fresh gulf snapper aka African lake perch for years
Definitely. On a related note same goes for beer. 99% of people cant tell the difference between bud light, colors light, and miller lite in blind tests. I’ve done the test dozens of times with hard core fans of one or the other, and no one has gotten it right yet. Even snuck a steel reserve in there once and still no one got it. We taste the marketing when we see the can. To be fair, they are damn near all the same beer. Restaurants playing on this same psychology.

Reactions: FreeDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That's a shame, I ate there as a kid a small handful of times as a kid, and thought it was the absolute fanciest place I'd ever been. I want to say it was the first place I saw Ice in the men's pisser. Does anyone still do that anymore, don't think I've seen it in a long while?

I'd almost rather not even heard this news - it's unlikely I ever dine there again anyhow, and now a memory is tarnished.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That’s a pretty big exaggeration. But MM isn’t the only one.
Exaggeration but I bet the majority do.

if they are advertising tilapia or catfish on the menu, you’re probably getting what you order. Snapper and especially grouper as a regular menu item, and it’s never unavailable, they’re probably substituting.

well before Mary Mahoneys got raided, I was fishing with a guy and he called a sheep head a winter snapper, and when I asked why, he said when he worked in restaurants growing up, any time you ordered snapper in the winter, you were getting sheep head. Not sure if that’s because sheep head would be cheaper in the winter or if it was because snapper became too expensive or unavailable.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Definitely. On a related note same goes for beer. 99% of people cant tell the difference between bud light, colors light, and miller lite in blind tests. I’ve done the test dozens of times with hard core fans of one or the other, and no one has gotten it right yet. Even snuck a steel reserve in there once and still no one got it. We taste the marketing when we see the can. To be fair, they are damn near all the same beer. Restaurants playing on this same psychology.
it’s not just beer. Most people cannot separate how something “tastes” from visual cues and what they’ve been told to expect.

this wine study was pretty funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: eckie1

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Go to Joe Pattis in Pensacola (or order and they'll ship to you) and cook it yourself. That's really the only way to know you're getting what you pay for.

I 2nd this. And don't be afraid to buy the fish you don't see much in restaurants that are much cheaper because they're simply not as well known.

Sea Bream (Red Porgy) for example. Delicious.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

Local place they we ate at often had the best gumbo I’ve ever had. We got to know the owner very well. One night we were closing the place down drinking at the table with the owner and I hit him up to make me a pot of gumbo for the next Saturdays tailgate. He gets up and takes me to the kitchen and opens the upright freezer and pulls out a frozen pan of Sysco gumbo and hands it to me. He just smiled and went back to his drink. He’s gone now but the restaurant is still there and the gumbo is still good.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008
Before being bought by Tyson, McCarty Foods packed the chicken tenders used by Dairy Queen. Restaurant people will try to tell you that the canned green beans from US Foods taste better than the ones from Sysco or vice-versa, but they both come from Allen Canning in Siloam Springs, AR.

It is almost impossible to find any restaurant doing anything from scratch these days. I used to have a bakery line that offered “pre-fried” donuts: get them hot & I never found anyone who could tell a difference. Most of the biscuits these days are frozen Pillsbury Southern Style 2oz or 2.5oz, either raw or fully cooked. Whataburger uses the fully-cooked item. These items can be bought at the local grocery store.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If you don't think every food establishment does something similar, you're nuts.

Customers are there for the experience and presentation. Less than 1% are food aficionados. It's all about buying low where you can so that you can generate the most profit. Like someone mentioned: dose it in gravy, salt or spice so that no one can tell.

No one is actually checking up on this stuff. Someone turned them in. Probably and ungrateful, disgruntled employee. That's where they messed up.

Reactions: Double Dawg

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
Local place they we ate at often had the best gumbo I’ve ever had. We got to know the owner very well. One night we were closing the place down drinking at the table with the owner and I hit him up to make me a pot of gumbo for the next Saturdays tailgate. He gets up and takes me to the kitchen and opens the upright freezer and pulls out a frozen pan of Sysco gumbo and hands it to me. He just smiled and went back to his drink. He’s gone now but the restaurant is still there and the gumbo is still good.
My father-in-law's family emigrated from Italy. After they got married, my mother-in-law would kill herself making red sauce/tomato sauce from scratch. Did it for years. One time they were visiting his folks, and she walks into the kitchen to see his mom opening a jar of store-bought tomato sauce. MIL nearly had a breakdown.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Definitely. On a related note same goes for beer. 99% of people cant tell the difference between bud light, colors light, and miller lite in blind tests.
I know I wouldn't be able to tell those apart from water in a blind test

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If you don't think every food establishment does something similar, you're nuts.

Customers are there for the experience and presentation. Less than 1% are food aficionados. It's all about buying low where you can so that you can generate the most profit. Like someone mentioned: dose it in gravy, salt or spice so that no one can tell.

No one is actually checking up on this stuff. Someone turned them in. Probably and ungrateful, disgruntled employee. That's where they messed up.
I've got zero problem with serving potato salad or gumbo that is Sysco made rather than scratch. It's still potato salad and gumbo. And it's often tasty.

But advertising Grouper and serving some dirty *** cheap Asian import for a Grouper price is complete BS, and pay for it they should.

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I've got zero problem with serving potato salad or gumbo that is Sysco made rather than scratch. It's still potato salad and gumbo. And it's often tasty.

But advertising Grouper and serving some dirty *** cheap Asian import for a Grouper price is complete BS, and pay for it they should.
the problem is charging $20 a lb for a $2 a lb fish. it's just flat lying and bait and switch. and once the restaurants get used to that extra profit, i'm sure it's hard for them to let it go. and if one is doing it, they'll all do it, to compete on margins.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login