Shmuley - what do you usually say? Long 2 years?...

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I would normally declare myself at this point (if past is prologue) with a "prediction" that reflects what I think about the hire. Part of me is ready to predict "LONG THREE YEARS" (ala, Rick Ray). But after the fast trigger on SloMo and the even faster trigger on Arnett, I think "Long Two Years" may be more appropriate. These things are cycling so much faster now. This is starting to look like a risky hire to me given the apparent lack of success in courting quality assistants with any meaningful track record. Disappointing to get reminded over and over that we just don't attract high end talent.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Just to throw a little more sunshine on this parade, if we took our current top recruit and cloned him enough times to add three more of him to our class, it'd be just enough to finally pass Vandy for 15th place in the SEC by a hair

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Next year’s opponent list (not in order) is:
EKU
At Arizona State
Toledo
At Texas
At Georgia
UMass
At Ole Miss
Arkansas
Florida
Mizzou
Texas A&M
At Tennessee

My likely wins:
EKU
Toledo
UMass
Arizona State

My likely losses:
Georgia
Texas
Tennessee
Mizzou

My toss-ups:
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Florida

Bowl eligibility is possible, just not probable.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
6 wins next year would be an incredible season. TAMU, FL, and OM are not toss ups. Ark i can't say.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is going to be a 20-year low in terms of talent on the roster. Its easily going to be on par with Croom’s 2004 squad, if not worse. Actually, “worse” is a very safe bet….no Jerious Norwoods in sight. Its gonna be bad.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Win the four OOC games. Then beat two of Florida, Arkansas, A&M or Ole Miss on the road. Who knows if Missouri is going to fall off the cliff or not. It can be done. I don't see Florida or Arkansas getting any better.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Win the four OOC games. Then beat two of Florida, Arkansas, A&M or Ole Miss on the road. Who knows if Missouri is going to fall off the cliff or not. It can be done. I don't see Florida or Arkansas getting any better.
At Arizona St & home vs Toledo won’t be gimme games. I’m hoping for 5-7. But right now, I’m not optimistic. We have a lot of work to do in the portal & recruiting.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
I would normally declare myself at this point (if past is prologue) with a "prediction" that reflects what I think about the hire. Part of me is ready to predict "LONG THREE YEARS" (ala, Rick Ray). But after the fast trigger on SloMo and the even faster trigger on Arnett, I think "Long Two Years" may be more appropriate. These things are cycling so much faster now. This is starting to look like a risky hire to me given the apparent lack of success in courting quality assistants with any meaningful track record. Disappointing to get reminded over and over that we just don't attract high end talent.
We don’t over pay which is what msu has to do if they want to attract high end talent. We rely too often on cultivating a program instead of going out and spending some money. If we go into debt who really gives a damn it’s the American way.

Reactions: patdog

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
This is going to be a 20-year low in terms of talent on the roster. Its easily going to be on par with Croom’s 2004 squad, if not worse. Actually, “worse” is a very safe bet….no Jerious Norwoods in sight. Its gonna be bad.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Next year’s opponent list (not in order) is:
EKU
At Arizona State
Toledo
At Texas
At Georgia
UMass
At Ole Miss
Arkansas
Florida
Mizzou
Texas A&M
At Tennessee

My likely wins:
EKU
Toledo
UMass
Arizona State

My likely losses:
Georgia
Texas
Tennessee
Mizzou

My toss-ups:
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Florida

Bowl eligibility is possible, just not probable.

outstanding job in the portal, really spending money would get to a ceiling of 5-7 with that schedule. decent job in the portal goes 4-8, El cheapo portal haul and you are looking at 3-9. I think Arnetts staff goes 2-10 with losses to ASU and Toledo.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
6 wins next year would be an incredible season. TAMU, FL, and OM are not toss ups. Ark i can't say.
Texas A&M is going to have an entirely new staff too. I have no idea what they’ll have coming or going in the portal, but I don’t expect Elko to fix their problems overnight.

I fully expect next year’s Florida team to be 5-7 or 6-6. Billy’s not the answer and may not survive the season.

The Egg Bowl is always a toss up. Some years, it goes to script, but more often than not, it’s closer than it should be or the underdog wins.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Just to throw a little more sunshine on this parade, if we took our current top recruit and cloned him enough times to add three more of him to our class, it'd be just enough to finally pass Vandy for 15th place in the SEC by a hair
But we got Vandy’s transfer QB this past year! Maybe we can take a few more to pass them up.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Lebby was a disappointment when hired and the disappointment continues with the majority of staff hires. Hope they can catch lightning because on paper there's nothing impressive about this bunch.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
My prediction is we will shock the world and go undefeated next season, but still be left out of the 12 team playoff.*****

Reactions: Predestined

patdog

May 28, 2007
Texas A&M is going to have an entirely new staff too. I have no idea what they’ll have coming or going in the portal, but I don’t expect Elko to fix their problems overnight.

I fully expect next year’s Florida team to be 5-7 or 6-6. Billy’s not the answer and may not survive the season.

The Egg Bowl is always a toss up. Some years, it goes to script, but more often than not, it’s closer than it should be or the underdog wins.
A&M is going to have a lot more talent than we will, and a more experienced proven head coach and coaching staff. The game is at A&M. I don't expect it to be close. Florida will probably be more like 7-5. Billy will be fired. But they'll still be favored over us. As for Egg Bowl, the better team usually wins, and the much better team almost always wins. You never know, but I'll be very surprised if we win this.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A&M is going to have a lot more talent than we will, and a more experienced proven head coach and coaching staff. The game is at A&M. I don't expect it to be close. Florida will probably be more like 7-5. Billy will be fired. But they'll still be favored over us. As for Egg Bowl, the better team usually wins, and the much better team almost always wins. You never know, but I'll be very surprised if we win this.
The A&M game is actually in Starkville, but I agree with everything else you said.

Hard to fully project anything just yet before the portal closes, opens, closes again, and both signing days pass. But with any QB that’s not Gabriel, McCord, or the guy from Duke….I’d be genuinely shocked by anything better than 4-8.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020

The egg bowl is always a "toss up" so does anyone want to take State with zero points for $100?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Think positive guys, no BAMA or LSU to skull drag us up and down the field. The negative, their replacements will kick our nuts almost as far. When does Track & Field start??

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So, when I say "toss up", I don't mean a Vegas toss-up. I mean more of a "functional" toss-up, meaning that mid way through the 4th quarter, either team has a functional chance of winning the game and, for me, in college football with the first down clock stop, that's a differential of 2 scores or less. I guess instead of 'toss up', I should use a phrase like "I believe we'll be competitive in those games with a chance to win".

A&M has always had more talent than we have and we've beaten them as much as they've beaten us and that was with a head coach that won a national championship. I don't believe Elko is a proven head coach after 2 seasons at Duke. They were 7-5 this year with a Charmin soft schedule. I'm not saying we'll beat them, but I think we have a chance to.

Florida will probably be favored against us, but they're always favored against us. I don't think there's some big jump between a 5-7 team and 7-5 team outside bowl eligibility. Again, this isn't a prediction that we win that game; it's just not a foregone conclusion that we'll lose, like for instance Georgia.

Going back to the Mullen era, there are a lot of years where State and Ole Miss are neck and neck, but I would say that the following Egg Bowl teams beat better opponents:
2009 Mississippi State
2012 Ole Miss
2014 Ole Miss
2017 Ole Miss
2022 Mississippi State

The point differentials in that time have been:
State +14
State +8
State +28
Ole Miss +17
State +7
Ole Miss +14
Ole Miss +9
State +35
Ole Miss +3
State +32
State +1
Ole Miss +7
Ole Miss +10
State +2
Ole Miss +10

So, since 2009, there have been:
6 single score games
5 two score games
4 three+ score games (3 by State, 1 by Ole Miss)

More often than not, the Egg Bowl is winnable by either team going into the 4th quarter. That's not a Vegas betting toss-up, but it's a "functional" toss-up. The Egg Bowl is competitive more often than it isn't.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Going back to the Mullen era, there are a lot of years where State and Ole Miss are neck and neck, but I would say that the following Egg Bowl teams beat better opponents:
2009 Mississippi State
2012 Ole Miss
2014 Ole Miss
2017 Ole Miss
2023 Mississippi State
2009 - Genuine upset
2012 - State finished only 1 game ahead of Miss in both overall and converence record. Game was at Oxford. Not really an upset
2014 - State finished only 1 game ahead of Miss in both overall and converence record. Game was at Oxford. Not really an upset
2017 - Genuine upset
2022 (I assume that's what you mean) - State finished with more wins than Miss overall, both 4-4 conference. Not really an upset

So that's 2 real upsets in the last 15 years. If the teams are evenly matched, anything can happen. But there's not many big upsets in this series.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login