Should we scrap recruiting in Louisiana?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If we have all this money, how come we're getting boat raced in recruiting and the transfer portal? We either don't have the money or we're not spending it wisely. We've just had a player transfer out just a couple of weeks after we announced a new NIL deal for him. That doesn't look good.
I think we have a lot of money by Mississippi State standards. But we don't have 17u money like 80% of the SEC. That's what it takes.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we have a lot of money by Mississippi State standards. But we don't have 17u money like 80% of the SEC. That's what it takes.
Exactly. As always, we're WAY behind most of the rest of the SEC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we have all this money, how come we're getting boat raced in recruiting and the transfer portal? We either don't have the money or we're not spending it wisely. We've just had a player transfer out just a couple of weeks after we announced a new NIL deal for him. That doesn't look good.
I don't think we have a very good plan for recrootin, and haven't since Leach died. Not sure what Lebby is going to do, but we all can agree right now we are just in flux due to the coaching change. I can't imagine we are going to sign a good class this year. The whole idea that Lebby could flip the roster was always a dumb one.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

Tcartwright

Nov 25, 2023
You don't sit around because basically like you said you don't know what is going to happen. He could have hired Selmon really fast. I would bet a year's pay that he hadn't even begin to look when Leach died. In this world of, December signing day, NIL, and Transfer portal you don't leave an athletic department without a leader for two or three months. You take action as soon as you can. It is on Keenum. You can believe what you want, and I will continue to blame Keenum. College athletics have change and you need to get a grip on that fact. Those who sit around with their fingers up their *** will lose. You take action as soon as you can.
Dude what? It wasn't that long. Cohen didn't leave for Auburn until November. So the season literally had less than a month to go and they were getting to the final stages of the search when Leach passed and you had to change course. It was not that long. And yes college athletics have changed. You know who helped spearhead a lot of it? Mark Keenum. Keenum is one of the best university president's in the country man. No you don't rush decisions like that if you have stable leadership in every role. At the time we did.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Exactly. As always, we're WAY behind most of the rest of the SEC.
You both couldn’t be more wrong. We have a guy in the portal that we have a huge offer to stay and who is begging for an LSU scholarship offer but I doubt they match what we offered him in NIL. Those are facts and just cause he’s in the portal doesn’t mean he’s gone yet.. second.
damn guys we hired Lebby less than 10 days ago and he’s our recruiting and hiring a staff. Recruiting is just now getting started by this new staff. I think some of y’all should understand how this game works. Also…We also just raised over 4MM for NIl. Stop being wore is me and just watch what happens. Y’all are so chicken little

Tcartwright

Nov 25, 2023
Not all about the money man. Yes we can compete money wise but some of these guys are wanting to go somewhere they have an opportunity to win a championship. Once we can show we can compete for the playoff it will change.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think we have a very good plan for recrootin, and haven't since Leach died. Not sure what Lebby is going to do, but we all can agree right now we are just in flux due to the coaching change. I can't imagine we are going to sign a good class this year. The whole idea that Lebby could flip the roster was always a dumb one.
We didn't have that good of a plan when Leach was coaching us either. We really haven't had a great plan for recruiting since Mullen left. Some continuity would be a big help there.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Probably has something to do with firing our coach after having a sh*t year and not having a staff totally in place. Any attempt to lure Zavion back into the fold with an increase in NIL funds would be the epitome of not spending funds wisely.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ye of little faith….I mean obviously we’ve dumped it all into an S&P 500 index fund (with some bitcoin mixed in, of course), and all the annual returns are going to recruiting efforts. That’s like….$1~1.5 million per year for recruits + portal + keeping current players. We’re Scrooge McDuck-ing it over here.

Now, is that even 25% of what Bama, LSU, A&M, Florida are spending, or even 50% of what Ole Miss is spending? Of course not, but it funds itself! We’re being very conservative and wise.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You both couldn’t be more wrong. We have a guy in the portal that we have a huge offer to stay and who is begging for an LSU scholarship offer but I doubt they match what we offered him in NIL.

All this hand wringing over a WR who has scored what 4 TDs in his career is a total joke. It’s like some of all are don’t think we can replace him with like or better talent.

Wow. Holy self-contradiction, Batman. We have a “huge offer to stay” that won’t be matched even by LSU, yet at the same time he’s a replaceable player with only 4 TD’s who nobody should worry about losing. And a huge offer we have for said player is “spending wisely”?

Just pick one false narrative and stick with it, Chip Dillar.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You might be surprise what teams really have vs what they make you think they have.
Dude what? It wasn't that long. Cohen didn't leave for Auburn until November. So the season literally had less than a month to go and they were getting to the final stages of the search when Leach passed and you had to change course. It was not that long. And yes college athletics have changed. You know who helped spearhead a lot of it? Mark Keenum. Keenum is one of the best university president's in the country man. No you don't rush decisions like that if you have stable leadership in every role. At the time we did

Dude what? It wasn't that long. Cohen didn't leave for Auburn until November. So the season literally had less than a month to go and they were getting to the final stages of the search when Leach passed and you had to change course. It was not that long. And yes college athletics have changed. You know who helped spearhead a lot of it? Mark Keenum. Keenum is one of the best university president's in the country man. No you don't rush decisions like that if you have stable leadership in every role. At the time we did.
Believe what you want, and I will believe want I want.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
We will develop the players and the elites will take the ones they want. We will take the castoffs who couldn't get any PT for those programs. Sucks, but that's the new landscape.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
We will develop the players and the elites will take the ones they want. We will take the castoffs who couldn't get any PT for those programs. Sucks, but that's the new landscape.
It would be great if someone could provide a definitive list of the players (with production) that we have developed who the “elites” have taken from us. Rara. Dillon Johnson: is Washington an “elite”? Our record doesn’t look any different if we had them this year. Who else?

In basketball, we have an all-American caliber center that we were able to keep despite attempts from blue bloods. I just don’t see the reason for the despair that is rampant in this thread.

We were also able to keep our beloved** QB despite major interest/offers prior to this season.

Sep 29, 2022
This is a loser's mentality. It's like if your hot girlfriend leaves you so you decide to only date fat chicks. "But these gross fatties are more likely to stick around!" Or how about you get your **** together and be a winner and the hot chicks will be less likely to leave.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
This is a loser's mentality. It's like if your hot girlfriend leaves you so you decide to only date fat chicks. "But these gross fatties are more likely to stick around!" Or how about you get your **** together and be a winner and the hot chicks will be less likely to leave.
Just playing my advocate here, but this is wishful thinking as much as the other line of thinking is a loser's mentality. Again not trying to argue with you, I do agree with the point you are trying to make in most ways. The problem is that this is something winning and getting our "****" together will not solve. No matter how much we do or do not win we are still not going to be able to make up the money difference with most of the other schools in our conference, and will never be able to compete with LSU.

I look at this like the classic line from Moneyball. Here's the top NIL money pools in the SEC. Here's a million miles of whale ****. Here's us. I do not believe we should abandon recruiting in Louisiana all together, but we do have to be very strategic given our limited funds.

To me, and I could be completely wrong, but the the NIL has not really changed much for State. We are still the last dog at the food bowl, and we were before NIL in most cases. The only thing that is different is now the money is out in the open, and there is more of it given it is now encouraged to play players in the open.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login