SIAP - $8 million donation to football

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) — Mississippi State announced an $8 million donation to its football program.

It’s the second-largest commitment in MSU athletics history, Athletics Director Zac Selmon announced on Thursday morning, Sept. 19.

The family who donated the money wishes to remain anonymous.

"This thoughtful and generous investment in our program is critical to what we are building here in Starkville in this new era of college athletics," Selmon said. "To be an elite-level program, it takes elite-level resources. A gift of this magnitude shows the unwavering drive to establish Mississippi State Football as a premier college football destination for many years to come. I could not be more grateful for the commitment to championing our programs and players."

Reactions: NTDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If I'm Levee, I'm cutting all the dead weight and putting folks out there who play like their hair is on fire and take the lumps the rest of the season while building for next year.

He can't change the talent right now, but he can change the culture.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) — Mississippi State announced an $8 million donation to its football program.

It’s the second-largest commitment in MSU athletics history, Athletics Director Zac Selmon announced on Thursday morning, Sept. 19.

The family who donated the money wishes to remain anonymous.

"This thoughtful and generous investment in our program is critical to what we are building here in Starkville in this new era of college athletics," Selmon said. "To be an elite-level program, it takes elite-level resources. A gift of this magnitude shows the unwavering drive to establish Mississippi State Football as a premier college football destination for many years to come. I could not be more grateful for the commitment to championing our programs and players."
We took up a collection, sorry you weren't in on it.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Is this money going to be available for NIL? Lebby probably needs additional analyst and recruiting staff as much as he needs money for new players.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Is this money going to be available for NIL? Lebby probably needs additional analyst and recruiting staff as much as he needs money for new players.
Sure sounds like NIL to me:
this gift will formally launch the State Excellence Fund which will be dedicated to enhancing student-athlete resources and providing athletic benefits in a highly competitive environment.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Maybe it would be odd right now, but I would split it between athletics and academics if I had that much to give MSU.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What is the State excellence fund?

State Excellence Fund which will be dedicated to enhancing student-athlete resources and providing athletic benefits in a highly competitive environment.

nvm. Looks like a fund, to fund the revenue sharing.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's what it sounds like. I like it too. Seriously, best MSU football news I've heard in years.
It could help more than football. More to this point:

The university can pay players directly next year.
Depending what the need for football actually ends up being, and if TV can cover it........there could be a shortfall in other sports, that this fund can help subsidize. Who knows what that calculus is going to be.

OR.....it could simply help in paying for football things that TV/AD NIL doesn't cover.

Either way, as an athletic department, we still need to figure all this out, and decide what we will prioritize. Surely they have some type of decent revenue projections that may happen in 2025 and beyond. This is basically the conversation we all argue about when it comes to baseball and other non revenue sports.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I understand that, but the investment in football will eventually (hopefully) pay off for academics.
It has at every major football playing university.
When Bama committed to football again by hiring Saban, over the many years or success, Bama went from 24,000 students to 35,000 students. There IS a correlation between success on the football field and academic growth and success.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Depending what the need for football actually ends up being, and if TV can cover it........there could be a shortfall in other sports, that this fund can help subsidize. Who knows what that calculus is going to be.

OR.....it could simply help in paying for football things that TV/AD NIL doesn't cover.

Either way, as an athletic department, we still need to figure all this out, and decide what we will prioritize. Surely they have some type of decent revenue projections that may happen in 2025 and beyond. This is basically the conversation we all argue about when it comes to baseball and other non revenue sports.
Sounds like it’s football only.
Mississippi State Director of Athletics Zac Selmon today announced the receipt of a single pledge of $8 million to Mississippi State Athletics to advance its mission of delivering exceptional competitive resources that will uplift the Bulldogs football program

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I think we are seeing the last of the glory days of college athletics across the board.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

It's going all to football, per the wishes of the people donating it. Only MSU fans would try to think "how can we rob the most important sport on campus to give to someone else (and we all know you're talking about 17ing baseball)" as if football in the SEC at MSU would ever have too much money.

Reactions: Bulldawg77

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's going all to football, per the wishes of the people donating it. Only MSU fans would try to think "how can we rob the most important sport on campus to give to someone else (and we all know you're talking about 17ing baseball)" as if football in the SEC at MSU would ever have too much money.
I know it's earmarked for football, but that doesn't matter. You don't understand accounting. Whatever pays for football, frees up money that would have been for football.

And I don't think you get it......I'm not talking about paying NIL or whatever for non-revenue sports....I'm talking about them even EXISTING. That, vs. a bottomless pit for football (especially if we aren't gaining ground) is going to be a tough sell.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
I know it's earmarked for football, but that doesn't matter. You don't understand accounting. Whatever pays for football, frees up money that would have been for football.

And I don't think you get it......I'm not talking about paying NIL or whatever for non-revenue sports....I'm talking about them even EXISTING. That, vs. a bottomless pit for football (especially if we aren't gaining ground) is going to be a tough sell.
They already have money earmarked for those sports in the budget. This is in addition to and goes all to football. This is 2nd grade math that you apparently don't understand.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They already have money earmarked for those sports in the budget. This is in addition to and goes all to football. This is 2nd grade math that you apparently don't understand.
Nope, not talking about right now. I'm talking in a general sense, in the future, on a yearly basis.