SIAP: Big Ten/SEC talk about scheduling partnership

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Season 1 Hearts GIF by Animals

Reactions: BobPSU92 and Bob78

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
ALLIANCE. o_O
"Alliancing" with the Big Ten worked out great for the ACC and the PACYOURBAGS conferences.
That said, it has been pretty clear that the thinkers in the B10 and the SEC have been envisioning a "two conference" world of CFB for some time.
Hard to imagine how that could possibly not end well in the long run :)

Reactions: BobPSU92

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
It’s been inevitable for a long time now.

If it produces better games, I’m all for it. If this just a way to give us more Purdue vs Arkansas matchups. Count me out.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
As I understand it, the main outcome here will be the creation of a b1g-sec academic ALLIANCE. o_O — a sharing of academic resources to create new learning and research opportunities across the two conferences. 😀

So Arkansas will have books without pictures. Pretty awesome for them.

Reactions: BobPSU92

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
If this process encourages the SEC to go to 9 conference games, then I'm all for it. The SEC is strong enough as is, but playing on 8 conference games and most teams playing an extra cupcake to pad their schedule has overinflated the rep of the conference even more than it should be (it's the top conference regardless, but this skews it even more).

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
If this process encourages the SEC to go to 9 conference games, then I'm all for it. The SEC is strong enough as is, but playing on 8 conference games and most teams playing an extra cupcake to pad their schedule has overinflated the rep of the conference even more than it should be (it's the top conference regardless, but this skews it even more).

That appears to be the main point of contention right now. The SEC is going to ride the argument of “but our conference is so tough” until the last possible minute.

What might get them to get off of their high horse is the enticement of 4 guaranteed playoff spots going forward. The real money is going to be in getting teams into the playoffs. The bowls are basically dead. I’ll be surprised is more than a dozen or so survive. They’ll become the NIT of college football.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login