Since its slow time of year, how about campus updates including Dorman:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm paraphrasing from 2 articles I have read in the last couple days and what I've been told. Dorman is pretty much shut down now as of last month. It is being renovated for what could take 2 maybe 3 years they say. Phase 1 is an HVAC overhaul with a budget of $32 million. All of the existing HVAC will be removed from the roof and new equipment will be relocated to the basement of Dorman. There is going to be a new $35 million dollar physical plant/facilities building built next door to it going up the hill toward Montgomery Hall opening in '26 which will house chilled/heated water for that side of campus which is presently being supplied from the other side of campus by the old physical plant building behind the post office/old laundry building. Dorman professors will have offices in Rice and teaching in Walker Engineering, Poultry Science and South Farm. Phase 2 when funded will include "adding sizable restrooms to the large auditorium end of the building accessible during football games and other events. Staining the building brick to a more maroon hue and adding a roof facade might also be included." I was told verbally a new glass solarium type entry would be built on the east end of Dorman too.

Bost Extension Drive is under construction. It will extend after running by Bost where it ends now by the stop sign between McArthur Hall and the soccer complex and cut through the big parking lot behind McArthur and the soccer complex and become a 4 way intersection where Bailey Howell Dr ends now by the Hump. This is supposed to be finished before students return in the Fall.

The section of College View Dr that runs in front of the Architecture Bldg (Giles Hall) to Bailey Howell Dr by the Hump will become a pedestrian plaza. Giles Hall and the surrounding architecture area will be undergoing a $50 million renovation completed by Fall '26.

They will "eventually" be closing Hood Dr which runs between Davis Wade and Barnes and Noble when the stadium is expanded. No timeline on that closing, just "eventually when the stadium is expanded one day".

Azalea Hall (residential hall, cafeteria, storm shelter) is a $100 Million project on the site of the old Suttle Hall to be completed by Fall '25.

$2.5 Million renovation of Sanderson Center is underway converting racquetball courts to more usable space adding some rock climbing walls and workout rooms.

The Jim and Thomas Duff Center (Kinesiology Building) is underway on the site of old McCarthy Gym. It's supposed to be ready Fall '25. You too can get a building named after yourself if you donate $15million towards construction of it. If anybody is interested there has been a guy advertising oak bleacher boards from the old gym they tore down for this building with seat numbers on them on Facebook Marketplace in Starkville for $3 a linear foot I believe. The ones I've seen sanded and stained look pretty good. You can make a table, bench, etc from them . They are 1"x9" full dimensions and he says he has lengths from 6'-12'.

I need to get back to work, will try to cover the stuff going on in town soon unless somebody else wants to go ahead and do it.....

Edit: Sorry Duke Humphrey, didn't see your posted link.....I was working on mine while you were posting

Last edited:

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
This is great info and I appreciate the effort in putting it together. Much appreciated
I noticed all that construction next to the soccer stadium back during baseball season and I was thinking it was likely an extension of Bost. It also appeared that they were expanding the parking lot located between Bost & Barr Ave.

Also last time I was in town, I noticed the new restaurant/bar that's being built next to Bulldog Burger had posted this rendering:

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
They are expanding that parking lot. They have finally shown a little progress on The Landing, some walls up now last time I drove by

Reactions: MStateDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Dorman just needs to be flattened and start over. Don't put lipstick on an ugly pig that or redo the entire outside facade. Honestly I would rather they remove Dorman altogether and move that department and classes out by forestry building. Leave that space open for game day events.
Sounds like they are staining the brick like they did The Hump for its renovation. A guy I know said the roof of Dorman will have a faux pitch added to it to make it look more like a typical roof instead of a flat top nothing. They did the same on the old girls dorms Hathorn and Cresswell and on Hilbun hall too. Before and after for Hilbun below

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
This is great info and I appreciate the effort in putting it together. Much appreciated
I noticed all that construction next to the soccer stadium back during baseball season and I was thinking it was likely an extension of Bost. It also appeared that they were expanding the parking lot located between Bost & Barr Ave.

Also last time I was in town, I noticed the new restaurant/bar that's being built next to Bulldog Burger had posted this rendering:
The Landing? Will they have $5 pitchers and the constant threat of a frat brawl?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'm paraphrasing from 2 articles I have read in the last couple days and what I've been told. Dorman is pretty much shut down now as of last month. It is being renovated for what could take 2 maybe 3 years they say. Phase 1 is an HVAC overhaul with a budget of $32 million. All of the existing HVAC will be removed from the roof and new equipment will be relocated to the basement of Dorman. There is going to be a new $35 million dollar physical plant/facilities building built next door to it going up the hill toward Montgomery Hall opening in '26 which will house chilled/heated water for that side of campus which is presently being supplied from the other side of campus by the old physical plant building behind the post office/old laundry building. Dorman professors will have offices in Rice and teaching in Walker Engineering, Poultry Science and South Farm. Phase 2 when funded will include "adding sizable restrooms to the large auditorium end of the building accessible during football games and other events. Staining the building brick to a more maroon hue and adding a roof facade might also be included." I was told verbally a new glass solarium type entry would be built on the east end of Dorman too.

Bost Extension Drive is under construction. It will extend after running by Bost where it ends now by the stop sign between McArthur Hall and the soccer complex and cut through the big parking lot behind McArthur and the soccer complex and become a 4 way intersection where Bailey Howell Dr ends now by the Hump. This is supposed to be finished before students return in the Fall.

The section of College View Dr that runs in front of the Architecture Bldg (Giles Hall) to Bailey Howell Dr by the Hump will become a pedestrian plaza. Giles Hall and the surrounding architecture area will be undergoing a $50 million renovation completed by Fall '26.

They will "eventually" be closing Hood Dr which runs between Davis Wade and Barnes and Noble when the stadium is expanded. No timeline on that closing, just "eventually when the stadium is expanded one day".

Azalea Hall (residential hall, cafeteria, storm shelter) is a $100 Million project on the site of the old Suttle Hall to be completed by Fall '25.

$2.5 Million renovation of Sanderson Center is underway converting racquetball courts to more usable space adding some rock climbing walls and workout rooms.

The Jim and Thomas Duff Center (Kinesiology Building) is underway on the site of old McCarthy Gym. It's supposed to be ready Fall '25. You too can get a building named after yourself if you donate $15million towards construction of it. If anybody is interested there has been a guy advertising oak bleacher boards from the old gym they tore down for this building with seat numbers on them on Facebook Marketplace in Starkville for $3 a linear foot I believe. The ones I've seen sanded and stained look pretty good. You can make a table, bench, etc from them . They are 1"x9" full dimensions and he says he has lengths from 6'-12'.

I need to get back to work, will try to cover the stuff going on in town soon unless somebody else wants to go ahead and do it.....

Edit: Sorry Duke Humphrey, didn't see your posted link.....I was working on mine while you were posting
Suttle. May they rest in peace.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

This place is going to kill it. Cotton District Bars/restaurants need to run right up to campus, moving from the Junction/Campus into the Cotton District needs to be a seamless transition. Tons of potential. I think the university owns those buildings right next to the foot bridge, hopely those properites can be sold/leased and converted to restaurant/bar/retail. Parking will remain an issue through.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Ballew Hall has also recently been renovated and appears to be nearing completion. They're making sidewalks and doing landscaping around it now.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
With regard to Dorman, talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Classic example. Geeezz.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
This place is going to kill it. Cotton District Bars/restaurants need to run right up to campus, moving from the Junction/Campus into the Cotton District needs to be a seamless transition. Tons of potential. I think the university owns those buildings right next to the foot bridge, hopely those properites can be sold/leased and converted to restaurant/bar/retail. Parking will remain an issue through.
I'm pretty certain the university owns and has mixed-use development plans for the lot right next to the new Landing bar.

Development.jpg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Sounds like they are staining the brick like they did The Hump for its renovation. A guy I know said the roof of Dorman will have a faux pitch added to it to make it look more like a typical roof instead of a flat top nothing. They did the same on the old girls dorms Hathorn and Cresswell and on Hilbun hall too. Before and after for Hilbun below

Hilbun gives me PTSD from a Physics class I had there under a prof who barely spoke English. Admittedly, his English was better than my Mandarin, but still, it was tough. If not for math symbols doing some of my required translation, I don't know that I would have made it...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm pretty certain the university owns and has mixed-use development plans for the lot right next to the new Landing bar.

View attachment 593791
They do own it and the original plan was to use it to house part of the newly being developed Hotel & Restaurant Management curriculum but that was a couple years ago when I heard that and haven't heard anything since. They tore down the houses on Colonel Muldrow and that is all that's happened.

Reactions: Mjoelner

Bulldawg56

Mar 3, 2008
Hilbun gives me PTSD from a Physics class I had there under a prof who barely spoke English. Admittedly, his English was better than my Mandarin, but still, it was tough. If not for math symbols doing some of my required translation, I don't know that I would have made it...
Same here, and I have no clue about Mandarin. Only 9 people out of 100 something passed the first test in my Physics 2 class. The professor had to add 36 points to everyone's grades to bring the class average up to 60. He was supposedly put on probation and wasn't allowed to teach that class the next semester, but my F still counted... I took the class again with a better professor and got a B. Intro to GIS was my favorite class in Hilbun.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They do own it and the original plan was to use it to house part of the newly being developed Hotel & Restaurant Management curriculum but that was a couple years ago when I heard that and haven't heard anything since. They tore down the houses on Colonel Muldrow and that is all that's happened.
The Cotton District "entrainment" side needs to butt up as close to possible to campus. I wish someone would do something with the Hunter Henry abomination and make itno some type of public venue that would draw interest from visitors. Maybe a combination Grant Presidential library/CW museum, paid for by the feds of course. I'm sure there is a national CW museum, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OldVideoGuy

Jun 25, 2021
The Cotton District "entrainment" side needs to butt up as close to possible to campus. I wish someone would do something with the Hunter Henry abomination and make itno some type of public venue that would draw interest from visitors. Maybe a combination Grant Presidential library/CW museum, paid for by the feds of course. I'm sure there is a national CW museum, but I can't think of one at the moment.
You can forget about that. Now that alumni is out of there, the architecture department is moving in. No word on what will go into the old architecture building.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Dr. Su?

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
I "liked" then "unliked" this so I could like it again.

Except mine was Iranian physics lab (Friday 3-6) in 1973.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012

I believe it was. "mopwhy" = multiply
Hearing him say “significant figure digits” was a 17ing trip! I’ll never forget the first Tuesday of my fall semester, freshman year. I had no idea what I’d gotten myself into trying to listen to that man. I looked around for the Candid Camera. I literally thought it was a joke.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

We might have been in class together. Every time I see Hilbun I think of my Physics class (only time I stepped foot in there, then or since) and couldn't understand a thing being said.

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023

Hilbun hall is where most of my classes are. You would have no clue how old the building is just by looking at it. It's cool seeing how it used to look like.

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
There are a lot uglier buildings on campus than Dorman, but Dorman's location is why it gets shat on. It 100% needs a renovation though don't get me wrong.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
There are a lot uglier buildings on campus than Dorman, but Dorman's location is why it gets shat on. It 100% needs a renovation though don't get me wrong.
Yep.

All those building across Barr, behind Hull Hall need to be demolished and rebuilt. Hull was supposed to be renovated last year, not sure if that happened. Patterson, Walker and Simrall could use improvements. Sessums and McKee are very dated. so many....

Last edited:

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Yep.

All those building across Barr, behind Hull Hall need to be demolished and rebuilt. Hull was supposed to be renovated last year, not sure if that happened. Patterson, Walker and Simrall could use improvements. Sessums and McKee are very dated. so many....
Hull didn't get renovated unfortunately.

Almost every building on or east of Hardy could use a facelift.

Outside of that, Allen looks straight out of the Cold War. McComas looks atrocious both inside and outside.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yep.

Does each Sessums room still look and function like a 1960's cinderblock jail cell? With a walk down a long corridor to public showers with little to no hot water?

If so, good. Leave it alone, kids need to toughen up these days anyway.

Reactions: Bulldawg56
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login