Since its slow time of year, how about campus updates including Dorman:

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Does each Sessums room still look and function like a 1960's cinderblock jail cell? With a walk down a long corridor to public showers with little to no hot water?

If so, good. Leave it alone, kids need to toughen up these days anyway.
Sessums is a girls dorm these days, with McKee being the boy's option.

Neither of them are going away anytime soon with there being a serious housing shortage on campus.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yep.

Hull was supposed to be renovated last year, not sure if that happened. Sessums and McKee are very dated.

Hull didn't get renovated unfortunately.
Hull, Sessums, McKee and Critz will all come offline as residence halls once the new Azela Hall opens in Fall of 25. All will be demolished (or thats the plan right now), except for Hull which will be rehabbed for academic use. A smaller, new residence hall will go in the place of Critz upon its demolition

Reactions: Studentdawg06

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yep.

All those building across Barr, behind Hull Hall need to be demolished and rebuilt.
Those buildings are home to Art and Design Department, which will be moving to Hunter Hentry Center. Not sure what plans are for those buildings considering they were temporary housing units for GIs returning from WWII

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Hull, Sessums, McKee and Critz will all come offline as residence halls once the new Azela Hall opens in Fall of 25. All will be demolished (or thats the plan right now), except for Hull which will be rehabbed for academic use. A smaller, new residence hall will go in the place of Critz upon its demolition
Maybe that is the plan, but I just don't see how that's possible while also requiring freshmen to live on campus.

This past year, if you didn't have an on-campus housing scholarship, you were basically kicked off of campus to have as much room as possible for the incoming class.

And maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the new dorm will have enough room to offset losing those four dorms.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yep.

All those building across Barr, behind Hull Hall need to be demolished and rebuilt. Hull was supposed to be renovated last year, not sure if that happened. Patterson, Walker and Simrall could use improvements. Sessums and McKee are very dated. so many....
Hull just got a new roof but that's all

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Hilbun gives me PTSD from a Physics class I had there under a prof who barely spoke English. Admittedly, his English was better than my Mandarin, but still, it was tough. If not for math symbols doing some of my required translation, I don't know that I would have made it...
Hilbun was a wind tunnel during strong winds. I walked through the center and almost got blown over.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Hilbun gives me PTSD from a Physics class I had there under a prof who barely spoke English. Admittedly, his English was better than my Mandarin, but still, it was tough. If not for math symbols doing some of my required translation, I don't know that I would have made it...

I'm dumber than all of y'all for I didn't take Physics. However, one short summer semester I had a Korean prof or TA for Trig. I couldn't understand a word. I basically retaught myself, from remembering High School Pre Cal, the entire class. Probably the most self-disciplined I ever was academically; looking up practice problems and tests in the book and online.

AnchorState

Jan 21, 2020
For those of us not up to date... Can someone give a brief update on Architecture and Art & Design moving to Hunter Henry? If that's what's happening (it was mentioned in passing). Also, where is the alumni association office now, if not there? Finally, are there plans to update the exterior of Hunter Henry? For a university with an architecture school, that thing is an embarrassment. I haven't been back to Starkville in years so I appreciate the updates.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
For those of us not up to date... Can someone give a brief update on Architecture and Art & Design moving to Hunter Henry? If that's what's happening (it was mentioned in passing). Also, where is the alumni association office now, if not there? Finally, are there plans to update the exterior of Hunter Henry? For a university with an architecture school, that thing is an embarrassment. I haven't been back to Starkville in years so I appreciate the updates.
Inside the Burger King Log cabin.*

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Architecture is staying in slightly updated Giles Hall

Art + Design will move to Hunter Henry, where there will be updates but not sure it will change the appearance dramatically

BCS will stay in majorly renovated Howell

Alumni and Foundation have moved to The Mill

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I'm paraphrasing from 2 articles I have read in the last couple days and what I've been told. Dorman is pretty much shut down now as of last month. It is being renovated for what could take 2 maybe 3 years they say. Phase 1 is an HVAC overhaul with a budget of $32 million. All of the existing HVAC will be removed from the roof and new equipment will be relocated to the basement of Dorman. There is going to be a new $35 million dollar physical plant/facilities building built next door to it going up the hill toward Montgomery Hall opening in '26 which will house chilled/heated water for that side of campus which is presently being supplied from the other side of campus by the old physical plant building behind the post office/old laundry building. Dorman professors will have offices in Rice and teaching in Walker Engineering, Poultry Science and South Farm. Phase 2 when funded will include "adding sizable restrooms to the large auditorium end of the building accessible during football games and other events. Staining the building brick to a more maroon hue and adding a roof facade might also be included." I was told verbally a new glass solarium type entry would be built on the east end of Dorman too.

Bost Extension Drive is under construction. It will extend after running by Bost where it ends now by the stop sign between McArthur Hall and the soccer complex and cut through the big parking lot behind McArthur and the soccer complex and become a 4 way intersection where Bailey Howell Dr ends now by the Hump. This is supposed to be finished before students return in the Fall.

The section of College View Dr that runs in front of the Architecture Bldg (Giles Hall) to Bailey Howell Dr by the Hump will become a pedestrian plaza. Giles Hall and the surrounding architecture area will be undergoing a $50 million renovation completed by Fall '26.

They will "eventually" be closing Hood Dr which runs between Davis Wade and Barnes and Noble when the stadium is expanded. No timeline on that closing, just "eventually when the stadium is expanded one day".

Azalea Hall (residential hall, cafeteria, storm shelter) is a $100 Million project on the site of the old Suttle Hall to be completed by Fall '25.

$2.5 Million renovation of Sanderson Center is underway converting racquetball courts to more usable space adding some rock climbing walls and workout rooms.

The Jim and Thomas Duff Center (Kinesiology Building) is underway on the site of old McCarthy Gym. It's supposed to be ready Fall '25. You too can get a building named after yourself if you donate $15million towards construction of it. If anybody is interested there has been a guy advertising oak bleacher boards from the old gym they tore down for this building with seat numbers on them on Facebook Marketplace in Starkville for $3 a linear foot I believe. The ones I've seen sanded and stained look pretty good. You can make a table, bench, etc from them . They are 1"x9" full dimensions and he says he has lengths from 6'-12'.

I need to get back to work, will try to cover the stuff going on in town soon unless somebody else wants to go ahead and do it.....

Edit: Sorry Duke Humphrey, didn't see your posted link.....I was working on mine while you were posting
Hope you are still planning to do this. Always enjoy the "Starkville Biz" threads and catching up on what's going on around town from folks that might have the scoop or latest gossip. Don't want to dump it on you but I don't really have any intel.
I will say storage units (now including high bay) seem to be in a race with Mexican restaurants, nail salons and walk up clinics for the top "industry" in Starkville. Where the heck is all of the stuff to be stored coming from?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Sessums is a girls dorm these days, with McKee being the boy's option.

Neither of them are going away anytime soon with there being a serious housing shortage on campus.
Why did they change McKee to boys? All of you reminiscing on your dorm. My freshman dorm is now just a memory. Hightower alum.

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Why did they change McKee to boys? All of you reminiscing on your dorm. My freshman dorm is now just a memory. Hightower alum.
McKee has been a boy's dorm for as long as I've been at MSU, so I can't answer that question.

For all the people that stayed at Rice, it has been empty for a while, and will probably be torn down soon.

Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
McKee has been a boy's dorm for as long as I've been at MSU, so I can't answer that question.

For all the people that stayed at Rice, it had been empty for a while, and will probably be torn down soon.
My freshman year was fall of 92 and it was women's then. Damn. That's 32 years ago. Excuse me while I go buy a pair of plaid shorts, knee high black socks, and sandals.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
For all the people that stayed at Rice, it has been empty for a while, and will probably be torn down soon.
Quite the opposite, Rice is now home to Psychology Dept and some of ITS. Also has “swing” space, which is where many from Dorman are located while they are out

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Quite the opposite, Rice is now home to Psychology Dept and some of ITS. Also has “swing” space, which is where many from Dorman are located while they are out
Yeah. rice was my sisters freshman dorm in 93. Anyways it was scheduled for demo a few years back and was deemed to be too expensive to tear down. So it was kept and remains.

Reactions: Arnept
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login