Slade Nagle

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Never heard of him. Not promising if we went from Briles to someone who wasn't OC last season calling plays and been leading an offense for a bit. I just have a hard time believing we would have a brand new head coach no experience, a brand new dc no experience, and an OC no experience. That's a recipe for arnett to be fired in two seasons or less. We need a sitting powerful AD so bad.

if we don't hire an experienced OC that's not a has been that has failed I'll be be very disappointed in this search.

Reactions: Dawg1976

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Why not? We're already taking a chance, why not give someone a shot who's been successful?

Oh yeah...If the new OC name doesn't sparkle or isn't one of the big names we've 17ed up. I'll check back in the fall.

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Tulane had a pretty good offense this past year. He called the plays. And his tight ends were explosive.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
A new name according to Rose Bowl who stirred up all the Bobo shenanigans. I’m not gonna get too worked up on this yet.

Reactions: AFDawg

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Never heard of him. Not promising if we went from Briles to someone who wasn't OC last season calling plays and been leading an offense for a bit. I just have a hard time believing we would have a brand new head coach no experience, a brand new dc no experience, and an OC no experience. That's a recipe for arnett to be fired in two seasons or less. We need a sitting powerful AD so bad.

if we don't hire an experienced OC that's not a has been that has failed I'll be be very disappointed in this search.
Not that it makes a huge difference from an experience stand point but apparently he did call plays for most of the year even though he was not the OC. Kind of strange but apparently there is an article on the Atlantic about Fritz turning the play calling over to him and it leading to their turnaround this year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not that it makes a huge difference from an experience stand point but apparently he did call plays for most of the year even though he was not the OC. Kind of strange but apparently there is an article on the Atlantic about Fritz turning the play calling over to him and it leading to their turnaround this year.
That's fine but one year experience as a play caller is no better than people we had on staff. This person is expected to lead that whole dude if the ball. If this is the way we are going on offense, arnett will be muscamp 2.0. We blew up the offense staff for a guy that's never lead an offense and had half a season play calling. No thanks

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Well we sure aren't gonna hire a big name OC from Georgia or Ohio State. We are gonna have to find a young up and comer or somebody like Bobo who is about washed up

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That's fine but one year experience as a play caller is no better than people we had on staff. This person is expected to lead that whole dude if the ball. If this is the way we are going on offense, arnett will be muscamp 2.0. We blew up the offense staff for a guy that's never lead an offense and had half a season play calling. No thanks
I think you guys just need to get over the fact that Arnett does not want to run the air raid. And as a result, there was no point in keeping a leach guy that would likely want to run the air raid. It’s irrelevant who we end up with and how they stack up with previous guys.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I think you guys just need to get over the fact that Arnett does not want to run the air raid. And as a result, there was no point in keeping a leach guy that would likely want to run the air raid. It’s irrelevant who we end up with and how they stack up with previous guys.
I’m beginning to think we made a mistake in whom we hired.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The point in making is this this is keenum and brackts fault. They promoted arnett. If we were going to blow things up I would have preferred going with a proven head coach. Why did we promote arnett so quickly. To keep players from jumping to portal and to save the class? Going to power spread or pro style blows up everything anyway. Might as well gone out and hired an experienced head coach that could have brought his staff. I was okay with arnett because I liked him and I'm not a pure air raid fan either but if we go power spread run and don't bring in an experienced OC like a Briles or a johns level that's just stupid. Green head coach, green OC just smells of disaster. I hope this rumor tonight is a fallacy and we are going after a successful sitting power 5 guy or at least a g5 guy that has years of OC experience and been successful. If we want to succeed and be competitive next season or the one after

Reactions: rankindog86

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well we sure aren't gonna hire a big name OC from Georgia or Ohio State. We are gonna have to find a young up and comer or somebody like Bobo who is about washed up
You can't tell me they with 1.5 mil we would could pull a sitting successful spread coordinator with about 5 years experience from power 5 or G5? It's obvious we not gonna get Ohio state or Georgia OC. Y'all are operating on extremes.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Blacklisted bully is suggesting it might be Jim Svoboda heading here. He was the OC at Tulane. Tons of experience and actually makes more sense

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The point in making is this this is keenum and brackts fault. They promoted arnett. If we were going to blow things up I would have preferred going with a proven head coach. Why did we promote arnett so quickly. To keep players from jumping to portal and to save the class? Going to power spread or pro style blows up everything anyway. Might as well gone out and hired an experienced head coach that could have brought his staff. I was okay with arnett because I liked him and I'm not a pure air raid fan either but if we go power spread run and don't bring in an experienced OC like a Briles or a johns level that's just stupid. Green head coach, green OC just smells of disaster. I hope this rumor tonight is a fallacy and we are going after a successful sitting power 5 guy or at least a g5 guy that has years of OC experience and been successful. If we want to succeed and be competitive next season or the one after
I don’t disagree that the hire of Arnett is curious but I’m not too worried about an offensive coordinator coming in here and being able to work with the talent. I’ve never bought into the idea that the guys on our team are so specific to the air raid that they can play another system… for 2 reasons: 1) we weren’t that good of an offense and 2) surely teams not running the air raid also recruited guys we have on our roster.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
An experienced successful OC at a power 5 is looking for a HC job. And as far as talent we just need a couple of big athletic tight ends to add to the mix or turn Harmon into one

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don’t disagree that the hire of Arnett is curious but I’m not too worried about an offensive coordinator coming in here and being able to work with the talent. I’ve never bought into the idea that the guys on our team are so specific to the air raid that they can play another system… for 2 reasons: 1) we weren’t that good of an offense and 2) surely teams not running the air raid also recruited guys we have on our roster.
I think our qb and no tight ends disagree.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Tulane had a pretty good offense this past year. He called the plays. And his tight ends were explosive.
We have not tight ends which is going to be problematic with how late we are getting this hire and trying contact transfer tight ends and a mobile qb. If he knew he wanted to change it up he should have had tight ends and mobile qbs visiting last week

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I see arnett a lot like Aranda. Although Aranda had a lot more dc experience. Aranda first hire as OC, larry fedora long time OC and head coach. The next OC he hired was Jeff Grimes sitting byu OC. I'm hoping this is how arnett is thinking and not some fresh OC that called 9 games or whenever he took over. We need to be thinking like Baylor and Aranda with this hire. Get a good OC you trust to run the offensive side of the ball because you just got rid of everyone on that side of the ball and you are a defensive minded guy with no experience on how to run a program or be a head coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login