Slate Alford in the portal..

Susanp62

Nov 2, 2022
Awe, I thought he was a big contributor late in the season. I realize he made errors just hoped they would coach those out of him.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Between he and Forsythe on the left side of the infield, according to HailState.com they both had identical batting avg of .248 and a combined 28 errors

Figure It Out Yes GIF by Chelsea Handler

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Between he and Forsythe on the left side of the infield, according to HailState.com they both had identical batting avg of .248 and a combined 28 errors

Yikes… if you had Ozzie smith’s defense at short you’d be perfectly fine with a .248 but that is unacceptable from a 3rd baseman, especially with the errors.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Forsyth hit nothing in SEC play. Slate hit pretty well in SEC play. Both were crap in the field.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
So out of the entire ‘20 and ‘21 classes, we’re going to have what… Hines and Kohn next year?

I repeat, out of 43 would be Jr/Sr signees that we should have next season, we may have 2 left

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So out of the entire ‘20 and ‘21 classes, we’re going to have what… Hines and Kohn next year?

I repeat, out of 43 would be Jr/Sr signees that we should have next season, we may have 2 left
Bryce Chance baby!

In all seriousness, he will probably (and should) start next year.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I dont think you are dying to have 4th year guys. But those classes are brutal nonetheless.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Don't know if this was true or not, but someone close to the program told me that Slate was sort of a cancer in the locker room for most of the year.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
Don't know if this was true or not, but someone close to the program told me that Slate was sort of a cancer in the locker room for most of the year.
My understanding is that he would walk up beside folks in the locker room and fart. Then he would keep walking as if nothing had just happened. If you asked him he would deny it and act as if it was someone else.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
He tried to transfer out last year, so can definitely see this. We've had a ton of locker room issues since the championship team

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I dont think you are dying to have 4th year guys. But those classes are brutal nonetheless.
I know what you are saying, but two 4th year guys led us to a national title, and I think that's been a missing piece for a long time. It's not a coincidence to me, that after a shortened draft, we win it all. That said, we could have won it all in 2020 had it not been cancelled, so we will never know.

Brent Rooker was also a 4th year guy, of course, he got redshirted. And that's the kicker, if a guy comes in and starts as a freshman, they most likely aren't staying until they are a senior due to the leverage. But let's not devalue them. Kendall Graveman was also a senior. Chad Girodo. Etc.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I know what you are saying, but two 4th year guys led us to a national title, and I think that's been a missing piece for a long time. It's not a coincidence to me, that after a shortened draft, we win it all. That
I know what you are saying, but two 4th year guys led us to a national title, and I think that's been a missing piece for a long time. It's not a coincidence to me, that after a shortened draft, we win it all. That said, we could have won it all in 2020 had it not been cancelled, so we will never know.

Brent Rooker was also a 4th year guy, of course, he got redshirted. And that's the kicker, if a guy comes in and starts as a freshman, they most likely aren't staying until they are a senior due to the leverage. But let's not devalue them. Kendall Graveman was also a senior. Chad Girodo. Etc.
well Tanner and Rowdey were only 4th year guys because of covid. On the whole though judging a recruiting class by 4th year guys doesn’t make sense. Not saying they can’t have value.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
well Tanner and Rowdey were only 4th year guys because of covid. On the whole though judging a recruiting class by 4th year guys doesn’t make sense. Not saying they can’t have value.
That's the point. It never happens to us but when it finally does, we win the national championship.

And you could say Graveman coming back in 2013 was a big catalyst for our run that year. I'm talking highly talented, multi-year starter-type guys that choose to come back, rather than taking junior money.

We're probably back in Omaha in 2014 if Adam Frazier had come back. But I mean, 6th round, I get it it. Graveman was I believe 36th round after 2012.

The draft has seemingly ALWAYS ravaged us in this way, because he don't have the success attracting the high-end guys like LSU, Vandy and Florida do. It's just never worked for us on a large scale, so saying we don't need 4th year guys is a little misleading to me. We really do need to develop. I liken it to us taking the high 3 stars and 4 stars in football. We get a few 5 stars, but we aren't an Alabama/Georgia/LSU level recruiter (though some of our fans think we are). We are Clemson or Auburn level.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That's the point. It never happens to us but when it finally does, we win the national championship.

And you could say Graveman coming back in 2013 was a big catalyst for our run that year. I'm talking highly talented, multi-year starter-type guys that choose to come back, rather than taking junior money.

We're probably back in Omaha in 2014 if Adam Frazier had come back. But I mean, 6th round, I get it it. Graveman was I believe 36th round after 2012.

The draft has seemingly ALWAYS ravaged us in this way, because he don't have the success attracting the high-end guys like LSU, Vandy and Florida do. It's just never worked for us on a large scale, so saying we don't need 4th year guys is a little misleading to me. We really do need to develop. I liken it to us taking the high 3 stars and 4 stars in football. We get a few 5 stars, but we aren't an Alabama/Georgia/LSU level recruiter (though some of our fans think we are). We are Clemson or Auburn level.
I’m just never going to judge a recruiting class based on how many guys are still here in their 4th year. I doubt many people would. And thats my point.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Next year? Nope, just Hines probably. Kohn may still be on the roster….but its highly unlikely he’ll be ready to return until 2025.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m just never going to judge a recruiting class based on how many guys are still here in their 4th year. I doubt many people would. And thats my point.
That's great if they did anything in their first 3 years to contribute and get drafted. We just don't have many of those in these classes.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

In todays portal world, kids are going to leave if they are getting redshirted - you don’t get better not playing and if you are not playing the school is looking to replace you

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login