SMH.... This is just crazy

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
HC Arnett: "The way the flow of that game was going and the way the defense was playing, you're going to be a little more conservative."

That sentence on us playing conservative on offense says it all. #WeDeserveBetter
I'm with you - you are one busted play away from being down. If it was a two score game - be conservative with the way we were playing on both sides of the ball. But you weren't.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm with you - you are one busted play away from being down. If it was a two score game - be conservative with the way we were playing on both sides of the ball. But you weren't.
Exactly. That's not a winning attitude.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
HC Arnett: "The way the flow of that game was going and the way the defense was playing, you're going to be a little more conservative."

That sentence on us playing conservative on offense says it all. #WeDeserveBetter
And if Jefferson wakes up from his coma for just 5 mins we lose that game. Very stoopid answer from a VERY stoopid man.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I do think his gameplan was conservative, which is fine, but he can stop with all that 'flow of the game' stuff. The flow of the game was so terrible that, I say again, a penalty actually HELPED us. We were as close (or closer) to losing that game 10-7 as we were to winning it 14-3 or even 10-3, so no, I'm not 'happy' had we won 14/10-3.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I do think his gameplan was conservative, which is fine, but he can stop with all that 'flow of the game' stuff. The flow of the game was so terrible that, I say again, a penalty actually HELPED us. We were as close (or closer) to losing that game 10-7 as we were to winning it 14-3 or even 10-3, so no, I'm not 'happy' had we won 14/10-3.
We were just as close to losing 10-7 as we were winning 14-3. Both scores were canceled by penalty. If anything the blindeside block was the questionable call.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It’s one of those strategies that better work because you’ll catch major heat for it if it fails. But it absolutely makes sense given the context.

And I’ll go ahead and warn you now, if we get a lead at Auburn on Saturday, we are probably doing the same thing, assuming it’s still Wright at QB.

I don’t think some of y’all are grasping that our current QB got benched at Vandy last year. There is a very specific way you have to play with him at QB, and 9 times out 10 it’s the grind it out and lean on defense gameplan.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s one of those strategies that better work because you’ll catch major heat for it if it fails. But it absolutely makes sense given the context.

And I’ll go ahead and warn you now, if we get a lead at Auburn on Saturday, we are probably doing the same thing, assuming it’s still Wright at QB.
A ton of DCs (and non-playcalling OC types) that get head coaching jobs adopt this mindset, and it always bites them, if they try and meddle in the offense, which Arnett has done from the beginning. Will Muschamp did it. You have to muck up the game, and just hope to win a close one. I don't like it.

It's different than what King Jackie did. He had a specific strategy to ground and pound and play smothering defense, with elite special teams. It did not this dysfunctional look that we have now. Jackie turned the offense over to the OC, whereas many others just pretend to, or never hired the right guy in the first place.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We were just as close to losing 10-7 as we were winning 14-3. Both scores were canceled by penalty. If anything the blindeside block was the questionable call.
One was textbook blindside block. It was a good call. The other, we could not line up and get set.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I don’t think some of y’all are grasping that our current QB got benched at Vandy last year. There is a very specific way you have to play with him at QB, and 9 times out 10 it’s the grind it out and lean on defense gameplan.
Most of us do know that. in 1/3rd of his passes the ball is a lame duck. He's bad. Not good.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Relf coast

Reactions: Dawg1976

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. And it’s fine when it works. See Dan Mullen 2010. But then it’s not fun when it doesn’t work so well. See Dan Mullen 2011.
Funny thing is, back in those days, I thought our offense was revolutionized after watching the Croom Coast for 5 years.

Reactions: HailStout

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Mike Wright is no Chris Relf.
Wright may be a good running QB, but Relf was a BEAST!
And Relf turned into a pretty reliable passer.

Reactions: aTotal360

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
While I agree with this to some degree, it tells me he has no confidence in #14 and that was heightened with a bad interception deep in our own territory to start the game.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
While I agree with this to some degree, it tells me he has no confidence in #14 and that was heightened with a bad interception deep in our own territory to start the game.

But Wright went 11 passes after that with 0 interceptions!! Honestly, that was the worst start I could imagine as a fan where you heard the guy can't pass. 1st one out the gate - directly to the DB.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"There is a very specific way you have to play with him at QB"
Well there's also a specific way you have to play with a very immobile QB in a RPO offense....isn't there ?

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Yep. And it’s fine when it works. See Dan Mullen 2010. But then it’s not fun when it doesn’t work so well. See Dan Mullen 2011.
Not fun when you replace a senior first round LT with a senior defensive tackle who's never played OL before. Seems like we also had a really good guard get injured (Tobias Smith maybe?)

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Sounds like Mullen vs Florida in 2010.
That Florida team was 8-5 with Urban as HC. Not a 2-5 team coached by Sam Pittman. Not even close in comparison.
im glad we won but we beat a bad bad team that quit and the next day the coach fired the OC. Why?? Cause they couldn’t move the ball on one of the worse defense in the SEC.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That Florida team was 8-5 with Urban as HC. Not a 2-5 team coached by Sam Pittman. Not even close in comparison.
im glad we won but we beat a bad bad team that quit and the next day the coach fired the OC. Why?? Cause they couldn’t move the ball on one of the worse defense in the SEC.
Fella, I'm not saying they were the same teams. I'm simply noting the similarities in gameplan.

But since you mentioned it, yes, that Florida team, while the worst of Urban Meyer's tenure, was still an 8 win team (counting the bowl), so you're right in that respect, but that 2010 Mississippi State team would have been a top 10 team if it didn't share a division with 4 other top 10 teams (Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU). I feel like that 2010 State team would have won the SEC East, The ACC, The Big East, The Big 12, and would have been in the top 2 of the Big Ten or Pac-10.

So, while, yes, that 2010 Florida team was head and shoulders above 2023 Arkansas, that 2010 Mississippi State team was head, shoulders, and maybe feet above the 2023 Mississippi State team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not fun when you replace a senior first round LT with a senior defensive tackle who's never played OL before. Seems like we also had a really good guard get injured (Tobias Smith maybe?)
Yeah, unfortunately we got beat up that year, Relf included. Ole James Carmon, I remember him. And I also remember later on, I think he got hurt, then Blaine Clausell came in and was literally getting flat-backed every play.

That Auburn game was just a killer. I remember watching that Utah State game the week before, and when they came back and won, I was like, that's it, they'll be fired up and we aren't winning.

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
If the receiver was set, Wright would have been looking for the ball and not fumbled it. The penalty didn't keep us from losing the game. Just Stop.
The offensive game plan was atrocious but some of y'all can't grasp that the QB playing Saturday is a backup for a reason. We won a damn game in the road with a backup QB. Get over it.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If the receiver was set, Wright would have been looking for the ball and not fumbled it. The penalty didn't keep us from losing the game. Just Stop.
The offensive game plan was atrocious but some of y'all can't grasp that the QB playing Saturday is a backup for a reason. We won a damn game in the road with a backup QB. Get over it.
No no no no no. We all do not realize why he is the back up. a % of the people fully believe he should be starting.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Call plays like a ***** and your players end up playing like it as well. I don't care what the analytics say - if you can't fire up your guys to get 1 yard on the opponent's 11 to seal the game, you don't need to be responsible for an offense. You're teaching your offense to be soft and rely on somebody else to win the game for you.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Sure, but that extreme conservatism almost costs us the game. It would have against any other SEC team.

Weird thing is I don’t even disagree with you, but we’ve now had two games where we went ultra conservative and did win both. So I’m not sure a 7-3 win is going to dissuade Arnett from trying that way again.

A concern I have is he wants us to be San Diego State of the 2010’s or Iowa now, i.e. a program that wins ugly but still wins. The obvious problem with that kind of program is every week is absolutely miserable even if you do win.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login