So after all the "craziest NCAA tourney of all time" talk.......

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
UConn is now tied for fourth with Duke and Indiana in most national championships won. Only one behind North Carolina. Won titles with three different coaches. As opposed to “blue blood” Duke, which was a Coach K creation. They were nothing before he got there and we will see how they are now that he’s retired. First season was very meh.
Nothing before he got there? I think they had several ACC titles. No national titles but they were a very good basketball school before Coach K. I’m with you on the wait and see under the new kid. Went to the sweet 16 year 1, not bad but they weren’t great this year. Tough to be the man after the man.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
As opposed to “blue blood” Duke, which was a Coach K creation. They were nothing before he got there and we will see how they are now that he’s retired. First season was very meh.
Nothing? That's simply not accurate. Certainly the largest success was in Coach K's run, but Duke had multiple ACC championships and multiple Final Fours in their history before he ever got there.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Nothing? That's simply not accurate. Certainly the largest success was in Coach K's run, but Duke had multiple ACC championships and multiple Final Fours in their history before he ever got there.
Ok, maybe not nothing, but definitely not a great national power. Duke basketball is Coach K as opposed to other blue bloods, who have won national championships with multiple coaches. Kentucky has won its 8 titles with 5 different coaches. That is the epitome of a blue blood program.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Nothing before he got there? I think they had several ACC titles. No national titles but they were a very good basketball school before Coach K. I’m with you on the wait and see under the new kid. Went to the sweet 16 year 1, not bad but they weren’t great this year. Tough to be the man after the man.
Duke didn’t go to the Sweet 16 this year. They got pounded by Tennessee in the second round.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I love the Sixpack. The only board in America where you can learn that UConn and their 5 titles are not a blue blood, but State baseball with 1 title is.

UConn is absolutely one, and if you put their men's and women's together they are the bluest bloodiest basketball program in all the land.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
UConn won titles in 99, 04, 11, and 14. That makes the last one less than 10 years ago. Quit trying to pretend they were all over 20 years ago. Gonzaga has never won anything at all to speak of. That includes all those Big Sky (or whatever it is ) titles. Just for the record, I can't stand either of them. I'm a big SDSU fan tonight.
Follow along.
When I cited UConn's title in the 90s, I wasnt trying to exclude the 3 that have happened this century because I was commenting on achievements since UConn's title in the 90s. I was using that title as a starting point, basically.
I have not at all pretended UConn's titles were all over 20 years ago.

And as stated thru this whole thread, I said I should probably reconsider how I view UConn and I have. I now include them as a blueblood/one of the greats.
They are easily the least consistent of the greats, but yeah, they are a blueblood.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login