So Clinton Christian Academy is disqualified from basketball playoffs......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
.....due to a residency requirement? What is this requirement?

Secondly, when did Clinton get a private school? I thought they always touted their public school system?

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I'm not an expert on Clinton private schools but I think this one has been there for a while, and Mount Salus has been a private school in Clinton for a long long time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. Clinton Christian split off from Mt. Salus several years ago.

One usual MAIS residency requirement has long been is that to be eligible to play sports that year students transferring from one member school to another member school have to physically move closer to their new school.

I'm not saying that this is it-- but it's the most likely one in my opinion.

And Clinton has an outstanding public school system-- I'm shocked that the two private schools have lasted this long.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Just because a school system is good doesn’t mean there can’t be private schools. If Clinton Christian is a legitimate Christian school that makes it appealing to some.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I agree.

I'm just a little shocked though that Clinton's population can support two private schools.

Counties with Clinton's population have had private schools merge or close.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I suspect the Clinton private schools are pulling a lot of kids from Hinds County school system as well.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They'd have to but they also have Central Hinds, Rebul, & Hillcrest in Hinds County as well as schools in neighboring counties such as Tri-County and Copiah.

Those pie slices appear pretty thin...

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Yep. Mt. Salus Christian School split a few years ago and Clinton Christian was formed.

Word on the street is that someone transferred from another MAIS school without moving closer to the school. Almost everyone in CCA high school is a transfer from Mt. Salus, Hillcrest, Rebul or Central Hinds.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Hillcrest is far from what it used to be but I had brothers at Rebul for a while and my impression of Mount Salus was always that it was even smaller than Rebul. In my experience it was just a thing that occasionally someone from Clinton had attended for a year or two. I have no idea if that's accurate or not.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
One usual MAIS residency requirement has long been is that to be eligible to play sports that year students transferring from one member school to another member school have to physically move closer to their new school.
Hmmm. So if a kid lived in Brandon and went to Park Place, and wanted to transfer to Jackson Prep and play ball, he could not do that?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just because a school system is good doesn’t mean there can’t be private schools. If Clinton Christian is a legitimate Christian school that makes it appealing to some.

Isn't it a Pentecostal school? A friend of mine is a MAIS ref and I think he said thier cheerleaders wear long dresses. I think that's school he was talking about.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He'd have to have a bonafide move closer to Jackson Prep.
Better choose that first private school wisely I guess. I also assume it wouldn't apply if you lived next door to Prep, but couldn't afford it or something at the time, and went to somewhere farther away for a while, and THEN transferred back in.

Of course, this is just theoretical, and we all know a kid from Brandon who went to Park Place would NEVER fit into the social hierarchy at Prep.*************************

(unless he could throw 90+)

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
True and false.

It is not officially a Pentecostal school, but there is a lot of influence, similar to how Pinelake influences Hartfield.

Their cheerleaders' skirts are longer than most, but they aren't long skirts.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Grew up in Clinton long ago. Hillcrest then was a mix of kids who's parents sent them there to get Christian education and shelter them from public schools AND kids who had been expelled from public schools who's parents had to find the cheapest nearby private school. I always chuckled at the irony of that combination. It meant that little Timmy was gonna learn a lot more bad stuff at Hillcrest than he might have in public school!

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Grew up in Clinton long ago. Hillcrest then was a mix of kids who's parents sent them there to get Christian education and shelter them from public schools AND kids who had been expelled from public schools who's parents had to find the cheapest nearby private school. I always chuckled at the irony of that combination. It meant that little Timmy was gonna learn a lot more bad stuff at Hillcrest than he might have in public school!

I'm not sure what time frame you're referring to but when I was in school there I don't recall much of the latter category if at all.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Just like Hartfield baby

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

Not even close but nice try. Class of 92 from Hillcrest and we didn't have any expelled kids from public school. A family member of mine is the current high school principal and football coach at Hillcrest. VHdawg is right, nowhere near what it once was. They have about 250 kids total in that school from K3 - 12th grade. This year their graduating class is around 30 kids. A lot of kids left years ago to go to Central Hinds, Clinton Christian, Copiah Academy and even Discovery Christian in Florence. Most of the reasons had to do financial mismanagement by prior leadership. In regard to Clinton Christian, it's been around since 2000.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not even close but nice try. Class of 92 from Hillcrest and we didn't have any expelled kids from public school. A family member of mine is the current high school principal and football coach at Hillcrest. VHdawg is right, nowhere near what it once was. They have about 250 kids total in that school from K3 - 12th grade. This year their graduating class is around 30 kids. A lot of kids left years ago to go to Central Hinds, Clinton Christian, Copiah Academy and even Discovery Christian in Florence. Most of the reasons had to do financial mismanagement by prior leadership. In regard to Clinton Christian, it's been around since 2000.
I would imagine there aren't many people left in South Jackson who could afford private school.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would imagine there aren't many people left in South Jackson who could afford private school.

Depends on the school. In all Hillcrest charges around $6500 for K4 - 12th students. $5700 is actual tuition while the rest is various fees. Not too bad for a private school to pay around $500/month. Now that same family who goes to Hillcrest probably couldn't afford a Prep, St. Andrews, MRA, etc.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's amazing the number private schools that apparently only exist to take kids expelled from public schools. I had not hear that about hillcrest but had heard it about all the catholic schools pretty much and probably 1/3 of the private schools that existed where solid public schools are.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
It's amazing the number private schools that apparently only exist to take kids expelled from public schools. I had not hear that about hillcrest but had heard it about all the catholic schools pretty much and probably 1/3 of the private schools that existed where solid public schools are.

We did have a few kids expelled out of Hillcrest. I had a couple of friends who were expelled because they took toilet paper and rolled the band while they were playing at a pep rally. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. The administration and band director saw it differently.

Also I don't know what a school could say legally if they accepted a kid expelled from another school. If someone did come to Hillcrest who was expelled from say Forest Hill or Wingfield, it was only known by a very small group of people.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I was ahead of that and personally knew kids who got expelled from Clinton and Forest Hill who went to Hillcrest. I then had a Hillcrest classmate at Hinds who reveled me with stories about the same topic. It really doesn't matter much, certainly not enough for me to argue about it, and it was not an attack on Hillcrest, it was just humorous irony for me. I also recall Hillcrest being really good in baseball for quite a while. I won't argue about that either.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Both my kids go to CCA. My son started last year and we transferred my daughter this year (8th and 11th grades). CCA isn't a Pentecostal school. I don't know one Pentecostal family there so I am not sure where that came from. As far as Clinton Public schools a lot of **** gets swept under the rug that outsiders and insiders never hear hear about. They have good schools no doubt but it isn't the fairy tale school districts that many make it out to be. As far as the BB program it looks like someone got their panties in a wad after CCA beat them. I know numerous girls that have transferred to other MAIS private schools for sports and never moved and nothing has ever been said about it.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It’s funny. I didn’t hear that about Catholic Schools when I went. I guess they didn’t keep good records when they were founded in the 1800’s.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
As far as Clinton Public schools a lot of **** gets swept under the rug that outsiders and insiders never hear hear about. They have good schools no doubt but it isn't the fairy tale school districts that many make it out to be.
Yeah a lot of them are like that, and that tends to happen when you have the whole spectrum of your town going there. Reason it gets swept is because people just want to keep that 'GREAT SCHOOLS' tag, for property values and economic development. Which is smart I guess. But most people are waking up to the idea that while that tag is great to have for perception, it's not the actual reason your town or city is doing well.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Yeah a lot of them are like that, and that tends to happen when you have the whole spectrum of your town going there. Reason it gets swept is because people just want to keep that 'GREAT SCHOOLS' tag, for property values and economic development. Which is smart I guess. But most people are waking up to the idea that while that tag is great to have for perception, it's not the actual reason your town or city is doing well.

My family is originally from Vicksburg. I still work in Vicksburg and my wife is a professor at UMC. Clinton is a great split for both of us but in reality we love and miss our Vicksburg friends and family. Once the kids get out of school we plan on moving. Not sure exactly where but it wont be in Hinds county. I am really favoring Flora, I could hit 22 to I-20 and she could hop on Hwy 49 right to work.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Have a buddy who graduated from Hillcrest in the last 80s, he said a lot of JPS kids came to Hillcrest around that time as the local JPS schools (Wingfield and Forest Hill?) started going downhill. Additionally several kids came strictly for sports. Around that time he said a lot of kids came from another private school that either closed or ran into some type of issue. He said some good athletes have come through Hillcrest

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Cronyism at it's finest. Any rational person would agree the sister moving away is inconsequential. I guarantee you multiple people on the MAIS board have friends and family either coaching or playing in the tournament and want to pave the way for them.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019

Everyone knows why kids get sent to private school and it’s not because they were expelled or seeking a better education

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I find it a bit intriguing that parents and people here believe they can pay for a school at if it is a consumer product and expect and demand output. The input won't vary much from the output. What you put in, including your children's disposition and character, as well as the complete absence of your own blood/sweat/tears is what you get out. Not much.

Private schools and even public schools survive only by those that are willing to sacrifice. But be sure to write your checks each month and demand better than what your child already is, more than what they know and see about God in your own family and on Sundays, and results better than you're able to produce and contribute faithfully. Money can buy everything right.

Last edited:

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
We did have a few kids expelled out of Hillcrest. I had a couple of friends who were expelled because they took toilet paper and rolled the band while they were playing at a pep rally. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. The administration and band director saw it differently.

Okay, I don't remember this, and I SHOULD remember this.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Have a buddy who graduated from Hillcrest in the last 80s, he said a lot of JPS kids came to Hillcrest around that time as the local JPS schools (Wingfield and Forest Hill?) started going downhill. Additionally several kids came strictly for sports. Around that time he said a lot of kids came from another private school that either closed or ran into some type of issue. He said some good athletes have come through Hillcrest

That would probably be the closure of Council Magnolia, one of the last remaining White Citizens Council schools.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I find it a bit intriguing that parents and people here believe they can pay for a school at if it is a consumer product and expect and demand output. The input won't vary much from the output. What you put in, including your children's disposition and character, as well as the complete absence of your own blood/sweat/tears is what you get out. Not much.

Private schools and even public schools survive only by those that are willing to sacrifice. But be sure to write your checks each month and demand better than what your child already is, more than what they know and see about God in your own family and on Sundays, and results better than you're able to produce and contribute faithfully. Money can buy everything right.

Why is that intriguing? While the input is very important and it's hard to make a good school out of a bunch of kids with dysfunctional families, it does still matter how you run the school. Plus some kids just do better in different environments. I have relatives that send their children to two different schools. One just did better with a smaller class. Was completely lost in a class of 400 but thrives in a class of 100. The other two did well with 400 students, one of them because of being a little different having a much bigger class meant it was easier to find friends that were similar to them, the other just would have thrived in any environment and didn't want to change from what she knew.

Really a shame that we tie government funding to buildings rather than to children because a lot of children don't really get a choice in the type of school they go to when they would benefit greatly from it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Or do it at the end of the year.

Cant transfer mid semester.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Why is that intriguing? While the input is very important and it's hard to make a good school out of a bunch of kids with dysfunctional families, it does still matter how you run the school. Plus some kids just do better in different environments. I have relatives that send their children to two different schools. One just did better with a smaller class. Was completely lost in a class of 400 but thrives in a class of 100. The other two did well with 400 students, one of them because of being a little different having a much bigger class meant it was easier to find friends that were similar to them, the other just would have thrived in any environment and didn't want to change from what she knew.

Really a shame that we tie government funding to buildings rather than to children because a lot of children don't really get a choice in the type of school they go to when they would benefit greatly from it.

Wise words here. Every kid is different and what he/she needs may change from one year to the next. For some kids, smaller environments may be harder to fit in to, while others may not handle the crowds and constant change and new challenges that larger schools have. Living in Flowood, I feel fortunate to have many options. My kids did NWR, but we always talked to them about private schools, they always wanted to stay in the public system.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Why is that intriguing?

What I am referring to is parents that drop their kids off to a private school and expect the following after writing a check:

- an outstanding athletic program with top 10% coaches and guaranteed significant playing time for their kid(s) (first things first because we all know sports are more important than anything in the world)
- top 10% teachers that motivate their top 50% children to excel to the top 5%
- teachers that make religion and outreach to the less fortunate important (thought it often is not at all at home)
- that the school is siginifiantly better for their children than any other school in a 3 state region
- a school staff that are paid to listen to dysfunctional parents vent about anything and everything

Basically its up to THEM (the staff at the school) and not YOU to make the school what it needs to be and to make YOUR children what they need to be instead of you.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
What I am referring to is parents that drop their kids off to a private school and expect the following after writing a check:

- an outstanding athletic program with top 10% coaches and guaranteed significant playing time for their kid(s) (first things first because we all know sports are more important than anything in the world)
- top 10% teachers that motivate their top 50% children to excel to the top 5%
- teachers that make religion and outreach to the less fortunate important (thought it often is not at all at home)
- that the school is siginifiantly better for their children than any other school in a 3 state region
- a school staff that are paid to listen to dysfunctional parents vent about anything and everything

Basically its up to THEM (the staff at the school) and not YOU to make the school what it needs to be and to make YOUR children what they need to be instead of you.

I am not saying what your posted isn't true but it sure isn't the case all the time. My son grades were just fine a Clinton Public Schools. Although I will say my wife stays on top of the kids academics tighter than most parents do. We moved my son to CCA for the classroom size and environment. CCA is a lot more laid back and a much friendlier environment and the boy loves it. Turns out a classroom with 15 instead of 30 fits him much better. As far as academics some classes he struggles with more at CCA vs public. We have found that public focuses on teaching towards the state test. We moved my daughter this year just b/c we loved the CCA environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login