So Clinton Christian Academy is disqualified from basketball playoffs......

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What I am referring to is parents that drop their kids off to a private school and expect the following after writing a check:

- an outstanding athletic program with top 10% coaches and guaranteed significant playing time for their kid(s) (first things first because we all know sports are more important than anything in the world)
- top 10% teachers that motivate their top 50% children to excel to the top 5%
- teachers that make religion and outreach to the less fortunate important (thought it often is not at all at home)
- that the school is siginifiantly better for their children than any other school in a 3 state region
- a school staff that are paid to listen to dysfunctional parents vent about anything and everything

Basically its up to THEM (the staff at the school) and not YOU to make the school what it needs to be and to make YOUR children what they need to be instead of you.
I'm sure that happens as you are going to have unreasonable parents everywhere, but I can't imagine this is particularly prevalent at Mississippi private schools. A significant number of private schools in the state are barely adequate and are onlly able to continue in existence because the public school isn't even adequate. Maybe that's a thing at St. Andrews? Or possibly Prep and JA too?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Everyone knows why kids get sent to private school and it’s not because they were expelled or seeking a better education
Please. This isn't 1982. Private school often offers things the public school don't, and vice versa. Either can be good options, depending on the situations. And options are good to have.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
The top test scoring students generally come from the larger schools in both private and public schools. Lots of small schools suck! Just how it is. People move their kids. The local district where I used to live has dropped two classifications athletically because there's been a mass exodus for better private schools. Some are an hour away. There's tons of reasons people move their kids. Some for justified reasons, some for less than that.
On another note, I see four schools had their seasons shut down by MHSAA for fighting.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Cronyism at it's finest. Any rational person would agree the sister moving away is inconsequential. I guarantee you multiple people on the MAIS board have friends and family either coaching or playing in the tournament and want to pave the way for them.
Most likely this is the answer. This is what I meant the other day when I said the daddy-ballin' is worse in the private schools than the public. "Daddy-ballin" is kind of an all-encompassing term. People will rig up the system for this and that, and it doesn't even really matter.

I mean, I get taking advantages at the college and NFL level, but high school sports? What are we teaching the kids? To follow an obscure 'rule', that is obviously in the gray area?

But I will say that this will probably have people thinking twice who want to transfer. Maybe that's a good consolation.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Everyone knows why kids get sent to private school and it’s not because they were expelled or seeking a better education

If you are trying to infer that it's solely racially motivated, you are behind the times by about 20 years. Go look up the racial make-up at Hillcrest these days. Go check out New Hope Christian School off Watkins Dr. (100 % African American). Maybe check out Smillow Prep/ReImagine Prep on Northside Dr (100% African American) or New Jerusalem Christian School on Old Canton Rd (100% African American). Parents want choices if their local public school doesn't provide what they think their child should have either academically, athletically or both.

What I find intriguing is why anyone cares how I spend my money. If I decide to send my kids to a private school, how exactly does that affect you?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
onewoof;[URL="tel:2018010" said:
2018010[/URL]]I find it a bit intriguing that parents and people here believe they can pay for a school at if it is a consumer product and expect and demand output. The input won't vary much from the output. What you put in, including your children's disposition and character, as well as the complete absence of your own blood/sweat/tears is what you get out. Not much.

Private schools and even public schools survive only by those that are willing to sacrifice. But be sure to write your checks each month and demand better than what your child already is, more than what they know and see about God in your own family and on Sundays, and results better than you're able to produce and contribute faithfully. Money can buy everything right.

This is a terrible take. To assume this is even mostly true is wrong. I’ve had experience in both public and private schools in Mississippi. Teachers cared in both settings. The difference is the teachers didn’t have to water things down or slow down due to a few students not applying themselves. Private schools can push harder and expect more from all the students, not just the ones that want harder classes.

I moved to Williamson County in Tennessee due to the reputation of the public schools here only to find that even though they’re good, they’re not great. They focus more on social issues instead of actual material that intellectually challenges the kids. More people have been finding this out the past several years and it also explains why so many private schools exist here. Before any of you “it’s to get uh-way from tha colored folks” nimrods chime in, Williamson County is as white as any place in Utah.

The private schools are actually teaching academics more in-depth and pushing kids more. Basically, you get what you pay for.

I do agree that better public schools come from more engaged parents though. That’s true for any school.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That would probably be the closure of Council Magnolia, one of the last remaining White Citizens Council schools.

I'm unfamiliar with White Cizens Council schools - is that different from regular seg academies?

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I'm unfamiliar with White Cizens Council schools - is that different from regular seg academies?

In Jackson the White Citizen's Council started several schools itself....a partial list is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educa...pi_Red_Clay_region#Council_schools_in_Jackson (for what it's worth, contrary to what Wikipedia says, Council McCluer didn't MERGE with Hillcrest, Hillcrest bought the property and then expanded from K-9 to K-12.)

There were plenty of other private schools started locally and not by the great big white supremacist organization.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Cronyism at it's finest. Any rational person would agree the sister moving away is inconsequential. I guarantee you multiple people on the MAIS board have friends and family either coaching or playing in the tournament and want to pave the way for them.

I'm a little unclear on what the rule is aimed at. Reading between the lines, I guess there were some instances where people "moved" by picking up a cheap lease closer to the private school, and then "rented" the house to grandparents or a a sibling or whatever and then more or less keep living in the same place? It seems wild to me that they would have written the rule in such a way that parents essentially renting from family can't move their children and their children stay eligible unless the owners rent to non-family afterwards. That had to be accidental that they covered that situation, right?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
In Jackson the White Citizen's Council started several schools itself....a partial list is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educa...pi_Red_Clay_region#Council_schools_in_Jackson (for what it's worth, contrary to what Wikipedia says, Council McCluer didn't MERGE with Hillcrest, Hillcrest bought the property and then expanded from K-9 to K-12.)

There were plenty of other private schools started locally and not by the great big white supremacist organization.

Had no idea there were de facto seg academies which received state money. Appreciate the insight.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm a little unclear on what the rule is aimed at. Reading between the lines, I guess there were some instances where people "moved" by picking up a cheap lease closer to the private school, and then "rented" the house to grandparents or a a sibling or whatever and then more or less keep living in the same place? It seems wild to me that they would have written the rule in such a way that parents essentially renting from family can't move their children and their children stay eligible unless the owners rent to non-family afterwards. That had to be accidental that they covered that situation, right?
I wonder if there is a waiver process that likely could have made this avoidable, had the family taken care of it ahead of time (assuming they even knew about it). It's very difficult for me to believe what actually happened here, was anywhere near the spirit of the rule.

Once again, no adults in the room. And the children in charge, likely have some type of political allegiances to people of CCA's rival schools, who made sure they knew about this.

Just seems silly, unless there's more to the story.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Which "de facto seg academies" do you think received state money?

Most segregation academies were local initiatives. In Jackson, Citizens' Councils organized a whole system of twelve schools, including:[SUP][8][/SUP]

• Council School No 1 Hartfield[SUP][8][/SUP]
  • Council School No 2 McCluer[SUP][9][/SUP] later Council McCluer High School. Merged into Hillcrest Christian School in 1985.[SUP][10][/SUP]
  • Council School No 3, later Council Manhattan High School, later Woodland Hills Academy
  • Council School No 4 Plantation[SUP][9][/SUP]
  • Council School No 5 Central Hinds[SUP][9][/SUP]
  • Council School No 6 Magnolia[SUP][9][/SUP]
  • Council School No 7 Hanging Moss
The Council was successful in getting support from the statehouse. Of forty-two segregation academies getting state tuition assistance, eight were in Jackson.[SUP][8][/SUP] Hodding Carter III described the Mississippi association as "the biggest, most tightly organized, the most powerful Citizens' Council of them all."[SUP][11][/SUP] White attendance in Jackson public schools dropped from 21,000 to less than 9,000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educa...pi_Red_Clay_region#Council_schools_in_Jackson

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Why is that intriguing? While the input is very important and it's hard to make a good school out of a bunch of kids with dysfunctional families, it does still matter how you run the school. Plus some kids just do better in different environments. I have relatives that send their children to two different schools. One just did better with a smaller class. Was completely lost in a class of 400 but thrives in a class of 100. The other two did well with 400 students, one of them because of being a little different having a much bigger class meant it was easier to find friends that were similar to them, the other just would have thrived in any environment and didn't want to change from what she knew.

Really a shame that we tie government funding to buildings rather than to children because a lot of children don't really get a choice in the type of school they go to when they would benefit greatly from it.

I totally agree with your comments about finding success in varying learning environments. We open enrolled both our kids to a PK-8th grade public school specifically because of the learning style at the school. There are many ways to learn and if possible, catering to the different styles will increase the overall education of a group.

Tying funding to kids is difficult to give blanket support to, and this is coming from someone who sends their kids from one school district to another. If $10000 is the average spent on each child in a school district, if kids can take that money and apply it to private schools, it increases the average cost for the remaining public educated kids. Any kids who require IEPs, 1to1, etc are left in the district since many(most?) private schools are not capable of handling those kids. Those kids cost more. So now its $12000 for the more intensive kids and $7000 for the remaining kids, for example.
Basically, a kid that costs a district $7000 gets $10000 to go to a private school and kids that cost $12000(or more) are then educated for $10000.
Until private schools are able to accept and handle kids with IEPs, 1to1s, disabilities, etc- they shouldn't get vouchers.

^ that is a general example with hypothetical numbers. Even though the numbers are not real, the issue very much is real and well documented.

Further, giving public funds to schools that actively discriminate(religious views) is something that simply should not happen. Just nope, not happening.

Even further, if private schools follow curriculum that doesnt align with public education minimums/standards, then there should be no vouchers. After all, public schools should be the floor and not the ceiling in this discussion, right? Nobody should want their kid to go to a worse place for education...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My guess is that the sister moving into the grandparents' house made the move by her parents and brother be considered not bonafide.

The MAIS is pretty laissez-faire.

So with that stated, if they have a specific policy that goes this specific/far, there had to have been schools that did this a lot and caused a lot of grief.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Had no idea there were de facto seg academies which received state money. Appreciate the insight.

I think most if not all of the WCC schools petered out by the mid-to-late 1980s. Council McCluer was sold to Hillcrest, Council Manhattan was bought by Woodland Hills, Council Magnolia shut down....we had a bunch of people come into Hillcrest from there around 1987 or so. What was interesting about it was all of the council campuses used the same blueprints basically. Same gymnasium, same "portable" outside classrooms, so when we would go to Woodland Hills for some academic something or other and go in the classrooms, it was just like Hillcrest. One of them, the old Council Hanging Moss, which I know nothing about, was visible from I-220 at Beasley until probably 10-15 years ago when it was finally bulldozed to make way for a church.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It said all 8 of them did in the wiki page.

Gotcha. I thought you were referring to something other than the funding it talked about on the page since you said "de facto seg academies" and the listed council academies were not de facto segregation academies. Thought you were saying something that I was missing.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I take partial exception to the statement about public minimums/standards. It think that it is arguable whether those are even measuring the right stuff, and subsequently if they are more helpful than harmful.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
The top test scoring students generally come from the larger schools in both private and public schools. Lots of small schools suck! Just how it is. People move their kids. The local district where I used to live has dropped two classifications athletically because there's been a mass exodus for better private schools. Some are an hour away. There's tons of reasons people move their kids. Some for justified reasons, some for less than that.
On another note, I see four schools had their seasons shut down by MHSAA for fighting.

That statement is False. Look at St. Al in Vicksburg vs. WC and VHS. I know every year in recent memory St. Al typically has higher ACT scores and land more money in scholarships combined than both the public schools put together.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The student would most likely have to qualify as a hardship case or be the child of a staff member though.

Otherwise, he'd be ineligible for a year.

Read Section K, Point 4, Under Eligibility: Here.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
That statement is False. Look at St. Al in Vicksburg vs. WC and VHS. I know every year in recent memory St. Al typically has higher ACT scores and land more money in scholarships combined than both the public schools put together.

Go look at the largest schools, not just that one spot. Your comparing St ALs, which is an academy, to public schools. I don't mean in one area. Go look at Prep, PCS, JA. Then go look at the larger public schools not just Warren Co. It's a fact those larger schools provide an expanded curriculum. There are always exceptions, but generally it's the case. St. Andrews would be an exception. But when tuition is insane, you get what you pay for too. Plus, parochial schools generally have higher standards as well.

Last edited:

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
Every year people wonder if REBUL will stay open. It is soooooo small. (but building and land all paid for) They also have the confederate flag/colonel Reb symbols.

Mt Salus is extremely small too. (Govaro who played for State women went there)

Hillcrest was at 400 people or soo as few as 6 or 7 years ago. Nowadays they in the mid to upper 200s. (still paying on their building)

CCA has been getting bigger...baseball and football on site and just finished building it's gym this year.
Clinton High has award winning performing arts group Attache. CCA has that also. Seems like a good school.

Central Hinds decent size just way out in the country.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I take partial exception to the statement about public minimums/standards. It think that it is arguable whether those are even measuring the right stuff, and subsequently if they are more helpful than harmful.

For sure, th wrong things may be measured. Totally agree that is possible and in some cases it's for sure happening. It depends on who is being tested and in what ways.

And not everyone goes the private route for just a better education- some genuinely want a religious component to school which is great.

Vouchers simply don't address some very real issues and those concerns seem to be dismissed or ignored when brought up. I have heard responses in the past, to be fair, but they were all variations of 'tough deal, suck it up, kids should go anywhere with a voucher' so that's kinda worthless as a response.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Vouchers are a great example of something that is conceptually simple and makes sense, but would introduce a lot of unintended consequences that are problematic. One issue we have in MS right now is way too many districts given the population and a very top heavy administrative burden that goes alone with that. In a perfect world, MS would force some consolidation where it makes sense and eliminate a bunch of superintendent and principal positions. Quality of education would likely improve and costs would be reduced that could be put back into equipment, maintenance, operational budget, etc.

I imagine vouchers would introduce a whole set of unanticipated consequences without any easy solutions. The educational system is on the one hand pretty broken by design, and on the other hand does a reasonable job of educating the masses, at least any who are interested in learning. Complex problem. No easy answers.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I totally agree with your comments about finding success in varying learning environments. We open enrolled both our kids to a PK-8th grade public school specifically because of the learning style at the school. There are many ways to learn and if possible, catering to the different styles will increase the overall education of a group.

Tying funding to kids is difficult to give blanket support to, and this is coming from someone who sends their kids from one school district to another. If $10000 is the average spent on each child in a school district, if kids can take that money and apply it to private schools, it increases the average cost for the remaining public educated kids.
To me, the fact that private schools with much less funding and worse economies of scale can handle this makes me pretty unsympathetic to public schools that are so undesirable that enough students would leave if they had the chance that they couldn't cover overhead.

Any kids who require IEPs, 1to1, etc are left in the district since many(most?) private schools are not capable of handling those kids. Those kids cost more. So now its $12000 for the more intensive kids and $7000 for the remaining kids, for example.
Basically, a kid that costs a district $7000 gets $10000 to go to a private school and kids that cost $12000(or more) are then educated for $10000.
Until private schools are able to accept and handle kids with IEPs, 1to1s, disabilities, etc- they shouldn't get vouchers.
This is a legitimate issue, but I think the better route is to tie funding to the child. If special needs children get extra funding to cover their needs, rather than expecting the school to "siphon" that off of funding from other students, it would mostly address the issue? Although it would create a lot of incentive for fraud.

Also, this is just an anecdote, but while private schools don't generally have the resources for special needs kid, I have a colleague that sends his special needs child to private school because his child not getting bullied and made miserable was much higher priority than whatever additional educational resources the public school could offer, which were made pretty much worthless by their unwillingness to protect his child. There's no reason he (or any other parent) should have to lose the benefit of taxpayer funding just because of the district he lives in.

^ that is a general example with hypothetical numbers. Even though the numbers are not real, the issue very much is real and well documented.

Further, giving public funds to schools that actively discriminate(religious views) is something that simply should not happen. Just nope, not happening.
Having religious views doesn't mean you have to discriminate. Lots of non-catholics go to catholic schools. I understand why some people would get antsy about codes of conduct, but as long as they only regulate conduct and not belief, at the end of the day, you don't have to go there.

Even further, if private schools follow curriculum that doesnt align with public education minimums/standards, then there should be no vouchers. After all, public schools should be the floor and not the ceiling in this discussion, right? Nobody should want their kid to go to a worse place for education...
I think it's reasonable to go either way on this. It's not like state departments of education have generally covered themselves in glory with their prowess.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Every year people wonder if REBUL will stay open. It is soooooo small. (but building and land all paid for) They also have the confederate flag/colonel Reb symbols.

Rebul's old gym *cough* burned *cough* about 15 years ago or so and they got a big fat insurance check out of it that paid for a new gym and everything else, to my understanding. I haven't had a brother enrolled there in about that long a time, so I've no idea how they're doing now in the fine town of Learned, MS, population 86.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Also, this is just an anecdote, but while private schools don't generally have the resources for special needs kid, I have a colleague that sends his special needs child to private school because his child not getting bullied and made miserable was much higher priority than whatever additional educational resources the public school could offer, which were made pretty much worthless by their unwillingness to protect his child. There's no reason he (or any other parent) should have to lose the benefit of taxpayer funding just because of the district he lives in.

I liked all of your post, thanks for taking time to type it out.
I only highlighted this section to quote because it may be a difference between states, but private schools here are not required to offer/follow IEPs. Also, between '08 and '18, over $500million was spent by public school districts on supporting private schools due to laws that require the support.
Maybe that is unique to here, but part of it is federal based on transportation and disabilities laws so I would think they aren't unique to this state.

Part of this is because I live in a state where for the last 5 years, the governor and majority party in the statehouse have worked tirelessly to strip funding from school districts and also to funnel funds into charters and private schools.
Reduce public education funding, force public education to help pay for private, then also move funding into private religious education. It's been quite the half decade to see up close and behind the scenes.

If a school only accepts one religion or violates protected classes, they should not receive public funding. That should be a pretty simple thing for everyone to get behind.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
Joe Crespino wrote a great book that goes into this-- In Search of Another Country: Mississippi and the Conservative Counterrevolution.

If the last name sounds familiar to older folks here, his late father played football for Ole Miss, the NFL, and is in the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.

I went to school with Joe "Joey" Crespino in the 80's at Macon Central Academy (does not exist any more). He was a couple of years younger than me. His father coached our 7th and 8th grade teams on a volunteer basis, and was a nice man. I believe he played for the Cleveland Browns after OM.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I liked all of your post, thanks for taking time to type it out.
I only highlighted this section to quote because it may be a difference between states, but private schools here are not required to offer/follow IEPs. Also, between '08 and '18, over $500million was spent by public school districts on supporting private schools due to laws that require the support.
Maybe that is unique to here, but part of it is federal based on transportation and disabilities laws so I would think they aren't unique to this state.

Part of this is because I live in a state where for the last 5 years, the governor and majority party in the statehouse have worked tirelessly to strip funding from school districts and also to funnel funds into charters and private schools.
Reduce public education funding, force public education to help pay for private, then also move funding into private religious education. It's been quite the half decade to see up close and behind the scenes.
Mississippi has something similar for special needs students. There are some hoops to jump through, but if you have a special needs child, some of the funding associated with that child can follow the child, either to another public school or to a private school.
And I would challenge the phrase "force public education to help pay for private". I think we have gotten public education twisted, where we have started treating the means as the ends. If public funding is going to educate children in private schools, that's not "public school paying for private education." It's just the state providing free or subsidized primary and secondary education for its citizens. New Orleans had zero public schools after Katrina and their results greatly improved (something like 25% reading on grade level to 50% reading on grade level? Or maybe that was a 25% graudation rate improving to 50%? can't remember what metric they used). There are ways to screw up badly allowing education money to be portable, so there can be bad results, but there are lots of places with traditional public school models with pretty horrific results. I feel like a lot of anti-school choice people compare things like vouchers to some idealized public education that either doesn't exist at all or doesn't exist in most places.

If a school only accepts one religion or violates protected classes, they should not receive public funding. That should be a pretty simple thing for everyone to get behind.
That's pretty easy, but there is a line drawing exercise that I think reasonable people can disagree on. I generally would be ok with anything a school that doesn't violate constitutional rights (so no prohibiting based on race or religion, no punishing for speech off school grounds, no mandated speech, no prohibitions on owning guns off campus or for any association (whether ACLU, NRA, etc). But I'd be fine with single sex schools, which a lot of people wouldn't. What about a religious school with a code of conduct that requires clothes to cover knees at all time on campus? One that requires burkas to be worn on campus? One that requies agreeing to a code of conduct stating no pre-marital sex? What if pregnant girls get kicked out of school, but in practice, nobody officially rats out the boy and the boys don't get kicked out? What about a code of conduct that prohibits abortion? Prohibits same-sex sexual activities? I'd be ok with a lot of that, even if I didn't like it, on the theory as long as they aren't acting criminally, parents can send them there or not. But that argument works a lot better in a densely populated area than in the country. A lot of places wouldn't have more than a couple of options at best, and then restrictive codes of conduct start to feel less like a choice and more like compulsion.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah. My alma mater - Heidelberg Academy - closed a year before Macon Central. I wasn't surprised Heidelberg closed and was surprised it lasted as long as it did after Laurel Christian was founded.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I honestly think a kid will be ok academically in relation to as much as the parent cares about the kid's education. Of course there are outliers either way.

If my kid went to JPS - I think they would have just as good an opportunity to succeed in life going to Murrah as going to Prep or JA. Because I give a **** as their parent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login