So do we just let Cohen slink back into the office tomorrow morning?

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Just like everyone else, I was shocked to hear that Auburn were actually considering him and it sounded like a done deal and now it’s looking like it might get done.

The most MSU thing ever would be is welcoming back Cohen with open arms after he was trying to get out like his life depended on it. The way he showed his hand with his “open to new opportunities” here reminds me of how he (initially) botched the baseball hire and proves that he is not a top tier AD.

So what happens if the b00sters block this deal to Auburn? I imagine nothing happens and we see John at 9 AM sharp tomorrow morning.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
1st, we don't know what is truth or fiction. I do know that local news was reporting that the deal was not done.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Just like everyone else, I was shocked to hear that Auburn were actually considering him and it sounded like a done deal and now it’s looking like it might get done.

The most MSU thing ever would be is welcoming back Cohen with open arms after he was trying to get out like his life depended on it. The way he showed his hand with his “open to new opportunities” here reminds me of how he (initially) botched the baseball hire and proves that he is not a top tier AD.

So what happens if the b00sters block this deal to Auburn? I imagine nothing happens and we see John at 9 AM sharp tomorrow morning.
Change the ******* locks. Deactivate his key fob. Put portajohns in his parking spot. Hit the bricks, John. You wanted out and you got it.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
First I saw people here saying John was being pushed out and told to go look elsewhere and now it seems that John just took it upon himself to seek the AU job. Either way we need to begin our AD search IMO. So what is on Cohen's Resume that impressed the folks on The Plains? Lotta unanswered smelly schitt stinkin' up the place at this time. How's the relationship between Cohen and Leach? AU just courtin' John to get Leach?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Nope he gotta go regardless.
The gif equivalent of the Auburn hire brouhaha gets to the point that Cohen stays…

Seinfeld Soup GIF

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
First I saw people here saying John was being pushed out and told to go look elsewhere and now it seems that John just took it upon himself to seek the AU job.
Yeah, I want to know the truth on this as well. The initial news from posters with good cred was he was being told to look around. So I want to believe that. It would nice to get some confirmation.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Well, our writers stated very publicly that the AU writer was not telling the truth.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Cohen may have been the one who leaked the story to the press. Just like when we “hired” him originally while Keenum was still interviewing candidates.
Yep. This is like when he ran his mouth on the baseball hire like we were about to hire a coach who had won a CWS and been to multiple CWS, and it bit him in the *** and he had to go to plan B and C

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yeah, I want to know the truth on this as well. The initial news from posters with good cred was he was being told to look around. So I want to believe that. It would nice to get some confirmation.
Writers say that was not true. Maybe a group of posters with cred of planting seeds made it up.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Yet that hire brought us a national championship…….

But what if McDonnell didn’t recommend him? Just told him “no thanks” and didn’t recommend Lemonis? The baseball program could have wound up in a real bad situation.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Do y'all expect every university employee to be so in love with MSU that the would only leave in a pine box? I don't care much for Cohen as AD, but I've got nothing against him listening to other offers. He is still our AD until he quits or gets fired. Now, if tries to use this deal to squeeze a raise out of State, then he can 17 himself.

I also don't understand why Auburn is talking to him, but thats their problem.

Same with that thread on Stricklin with everyone butt hurt over him leaving. He turned Florida down twice, and then they offered to triple his salary. It would have been weird for him to turn them down. And he didn't really want to hire Mullen, but 3 or 4 coaches turned them down and he was running out of options.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Lots of "Cam Newton Syndrome" in this place.

I'm guessing everything "leaked" was the God Honest Truth?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
So in the real non athletic world when you have a key employee going to a competitor you go get him a cardboard box for his stuff and walk hm to the door. I had to walk a couple out over the years and have seen it done plenty of times. I don’t see why this would be any different. His loyalty is now with your competitor, not you.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So in the real non athletic world when you have a key employee going to a competitor you go get him a cardboard box for his stuff and walk hm to the door. I had to walk a couple out over the years and have seen it done plenty of times. I don’t see why this would be any different. His loyalty is now with your competitor, not you.
I don't think that's a one size fits all.

We have had plenty of coaches or assistants in the past do interviews. Didn't we have a few interview last year? yet they are still with Leach. Why? maybe because Leach is a great boss.

I think we are not so ragged that we could not find another AD in any case.

Reactions: drumrcraig

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't believe rose bowl at all.
Steve is putting out the story the administration wants to get out. Whether the “were pushing him out” story is true of not, it’s not good for MSU for it to become public. Now, if the rumors of Auburn reneging are true, the story probably becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and well never know if the original story was true or not.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't think that's a one size fits all.

We have had plenty of coaches or assistants in the past do interviews. Didn't we have a few interview last year? yet they are still with Leach. Why? maybe because Leach is a great boss.

I think we are not so ragged that we could not find another AD in any case.
Glad I haven't worked for these wankers who want to fire you for interviewing. I would have been in bad trouble for some of the unofficial/official conversations I had during my prime. Sounds like a great work environment If you start to show improvement or do your job well enough to gain interest from others you will be promptly sacked.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Glad I haven't worked for these wankers who want to fire you for interviewing. I would have been in bad trouble for some of the unofficial/official conversations I had during my prime. Sounds like a great work environment If you start to show improvement or do your job well enough to gain interest from others you will be promptly sacked.
Yep. We always managed to keep the employees we wanted to keep because of the way they were treated and compensated. Heck, we offered to help one of our employees to open her on business!

Even if an employee did not want to work here, it was my task to remain "blameless". I wasn't about to make that person a target...etc. I wanted them to regret their decision. "man I miss that place. They were great people". That's different than an employee that is not doing their job or trying to ruin our business. Fired..

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If you don't believe we were wanting to move on before this, then it's your prerogative. But we absolutely were fine with him leaving. I'm not saying he was going to be fired next week, but he was going to be leaving at some point next year. His buyout is only $250K.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If you don't believe we were wanting to move on before this, then it's your prerogative. But we absolutely were fine with him leaving. I'm not saying he was going to be fired next week, but he was going to be leaving at some point next year. His buyout is only $250K.
Personally, I don't care one way or the other. Like I said, we are not so ragged a place that we can not hire an AD. If he wants to go... go. If he wants to shop, shop. What I do care about is people making up things just to ruin people or justify being pissed. That says more about us than it does him. It also moves us down the path to UF style fan bases that have managed to push their football program back years! They are now the doormat to the east.

That's that "you get what you prayed for" boomerang type thing. Some call it Karma. Some call it reaping the rewards of the seeds sown.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Our “writers” were probably preoccupied watching YouTube videos of rasslin and Motley Crue. They were “scooped” by Auburn writers.
And the one that put out that we told him to start looking came back to say that other sources confirm that part was not true.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Our “writers” were probably preoccupied watching YouTube videos of rasslin and Motley Crue. They were “scooped” by Auburn writers.
Rose bowl supposedly knew Wednesday but didn’t report until Saturday morning when everyone else in the country was about to report it. It’s hilarious how bad our beat is

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Do y'all expect every university employee to be so in love with MSU that the would only leave in a pine box? I don't care much for Cohen as AD, but I've got nothing against him listening to other offers. He is still our AD until he quits or gets fired. Now, if tries to use this deal to squeeze a raise out of State, then he can 17 himself.

I also don't understand why Auburn is talking to him, but thats their problem.

Same with that thread on Stricklin with everyone butt hurt over him leaving. He turned Florida down twice, and then they offered to triple his salary. It would have been weird for him to turn them down. And he didn't really want to hire Mullen, but 3 or 4 coaches turned them down and he was running out of options.
Not every employee, but in Cohen’s scenario he is on tail end of career, and already financially set for life. He could have a luxurious retirement tomorrow if he wanted. Can only speak for myself, but I think if most on this board already had “17 you” type money in the bank, the last place most would ever work is an SEC rival. That is what people can’t relate with.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
He didn’t say that was for just interviewing. If an employee is actually leaving for a competitor, you may not want them to work out their 2-week notice, giving them time to collect files, etc. that could help the competition.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He didn’t say that was for just interviewing. If an employee is actually leaving for a competitor, you may not want them to work out their 2-week notice, giving them time to collect files, etc. that could help the competition.
I missed the part where HE said he was leaving and this was signed and done.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I missed the part where HE said he was leaving and this was signed and done.
What “he” are you talking about? I’m talking about Pilgrimdawg, who said in part, “So in the real non athletic world when you have a key employee going to a competitor you go get him a cardboard box for his stuff and walk hm to the door.”

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

No, the locks should be changed, and whatever they deem personal of his should be in a box next to a security guard.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login