So does Garrett stick with us?

G

Goat Holder

I see where Rosebowl says we're recruiting 2 other QBs, in addition to Russell and Garrett. Maybe it's just MSU paranoia, but this smells like a "my heart is at MSU, but I just couldn't turn down this offer" type deal.

I mean ****, if I was Garrett, and I wanted to play in the league, I'd go to LSU too.

G

Goat Holder

I see where Rosebowl says we're recruiting 2 other QBs, in addition to Russell and Garrett. Maybe it's just MSU paranoia, but this smells like a "my heart is at MSU, but I just couldn't turn down this offer" type deal.

I mean ****, if I was Garrett, and I wanted to play in the league, I'd go to LSU too.

G

Goat Holder

ram124

Oct 10, 2007
I think Garrett definitely sticks with us. We'll sign at least 2 QBs, so Croom is going to recruit a few until another one commits then he'll back off on the others. Looks like he's going after a bunch of good ones. Glad to see that.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________I mean ****, if I was Garrett, and I wanted to get buried on the depth chart, I'd go to LSU too._________________________________________________

There, I fixed it for you.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Well if their current QB can't stay out of legal troubles, who else are they gonna have?

G

Goat Holder

or at least that's what they are trying to sell him on. Miles told him he'd get on the field faster at LSU than MSU. Perrilloux ring a bell? The only other scholly QB they have is Jarrett Lee.

Aug 30, 2006
that LSU has basically two QBs right now don't you? (if you count Perrilloux who is currently suspended indefinitely).

Behind Perrilloux, they have a RS FR who was a 4* and a true freshman coming in who was a 3*. They also have Hatch who transferred in from Harvard. Most likely a smart guy, but probably not a real concern to a guy looking at a depth chart.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
So they will have 3 by the beginning of next season and add Garrett and whoever else they get next year to the list? yeah Garrett should be all but guaranteed a starting job there. By the time he gets to LSU there will be 4-5 QBs on the roster, and all 5 them of them could probably start at MSU

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I don't care what their current qb situation is. They will load up on 5* after 5*. Meanwhile, Croom will wait another couple of years to even offer another quarterback.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________So they will have 3 by the beginning of next season and add Garrett and whoever else they get next year to the list? yeah Garrett should be all but guaranteed a starting job there. By the time he gets to LSU there will be 4-5 QBs on the roster, and all 5 them of them could probably start at MSU_________________________________________________
Geez....show me where I said he would step in & start. I was making the point that LSU isn't loaded with QB depth. At this point, Perrilloux is an unknown. Behind him are a 4*, a 3*, and a transfer from Harvard who wasn't able to gain the starting job there. Garrett should be able to beat out the 3* & the Harvard transfer fairly easily if he is as talented as everyone says. Also, if he goes in & RS as a freshman, then the current RS Fr would be a RS JR during Garrett's RS Fr season, the 3* will be a true JR or a RS So. & Hatch will likely be have graduated since he will be a JR this year.

In addition, if you paid any attention, Les has had some trouble stockpiling QBs. There is no guarantee that by any means that he will pull in a ton of them this year.

No, Hatch would not start even at MSU. The 3* freshman would have a chance, but could get beat out by Carroll. So that leaves the thug Perrilloux (if he stays on the team) and the RS FR Jarrett who would almost certainly beat out Carroll. That is two, not five.

Despite what you may think, I'm just being objective here. LSU is currently pretty thin at QB overall and really thin if Perrilloux is gone for good. I can't blame Garrett at all for considering the offer. However, he would probably have just as good a chance if not better of being the starter here at the same point in his career as he would at LSU.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
strange just reading that

Quote:_________________________________________________Miles told him he'd get on the field faster at LSU than MSU._________________________________________________

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
Why do the LSUs, Bamas, Aubs, UGAs, UFs, UTs routinely end up with 3 and 4 highly rated QBs on the roster every year? Is it that they recruit highly rated QBs who are too stupid to realize they're going to get buried on the depth chart? And if the depth chart is such a significant factor (on message boards anyway), why can't state sign one highly rated QB who would have a mack truck size opening to the starting slot? And what, exactly, is it about Garrett that immunizes him from the stupidity that affects all these other highly rated QBs who somehow can't evaluate a depth chart?

Inquiring minds want to know.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
but there's another coach in Starkville who has had a harder time stockpiling qb's. Mainly because he doesn't deem it necessary to recruit one every single year.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Perriloux ain't going anywhere.

Has anyone ever thought that Miles might be trying to take Garrett from MSU so that he won't potentially hurt LSU in the future? <insert internet laugh here>

But seriously, he can't hurt LSU if he's on their bench.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
I would be very concerned about QB development at MState. I mean, look at the development of Henword under Woodrow.

QBU, baby.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
but I do know Croom's track record. 2 out of the 4 years he's been here, he didn't recruit one quarterback to come in and compete. He will try to sign a couple this recruiting season and he'll hold off for another couple of years. If I was a highschool qb, I know where I'd feel more confident that I'd get the most pt. And, it wouldn't be LSU.

Aug 30, 2006
The discussion wasn't about the recruiting prowess (or lack thereof) of Croom, it was about the QB depth at LSU. It is currently pretty thin which I have repeatedly pointed out to you. You have insisted that Garrett would get buried. Now that I have shown you that LSU's depth isn't much better than ours if Perrilloux is removed from the equation, you have shifted the topic to Croom being a crappy recruiter. Nice try at the bait & switch though.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
there really weren't any QB prospects that Croom felt like could help us. He knew that Garrett, Russell, and Moore would come up in 09's class. Another Ty Evans probably would have hurt us in the sense that other schools would have said, "They already have 4-5 QB's to." He's going to RS one QB and let the better of the two be a back-up as a true FR. Personally, I prefer to RS QB's, but with our depth chart the way it is, it makes sense to stagger it a little bit.

We probably can get through the season with Carroll, Riddell, Relf, and maybe Lee.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________Despite what you may think, I'm just being objective here._________________________________________________

That is almost comical........

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
And the point was made that over the next 2 season Miles will probably get a few QBs in there where they wouldn't have depth issues by 09. All anyone is saying is that a good QB probably has a better chance at coming in and starting at MSU than they do at LSU and you really cant argue that. And sorry but Perilous inst going anywhere anytime soon. If he hasn't been kicked off of the team yet he inst getting kicked off

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I wasn't really trying to bash him, although it did kind of come off that way. I'm pleased right now with our current quarterback situation. What a difference a year makes. Because Croom didn't recruit a high school qb this year, it makes it all the more appealing to get Garrett and possibly Russell or Moore to come here. I feel the most confident getting Garrett though because of his family's connections with the University.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Not near as comical as your ridiculous basketball predictions that change on a daily basis. Have you had your medicine yet today?

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________And the point was made that over the next 2 season Miles will <span style="text-decoration:underline">probably</span> get a few QBs in there where they wouldn't have depth issues by 09._________________________________________________
Not a sure thing though. Also, what if his plan is for Garrett to be one of those?
Quote:_________________________________________________All anyone is saying is that a good QB probably has a better chance at coming in and starting at MSU than they do at LSU and you really cant argue that._________________________________________________
Normally, you would be right. Right now, assuming Perrilloux is gone (I know, big assumption), it might not be so crystal clear a distinction. By the time he would get here, we would have a JR starter with over a season & a half experience. LSU would have a RS So starter with a season of experience.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
First of all I have a pretty good feeling that the defending national champions will not have a problem getting some decent QBs next year. And second of all, like I said in a previous thread, if Perilous isnt gone yet he isnt going anywhere

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
you're not the only one that has criticized Croom for not going after a QB, although I do think there is some validity to that criticism based on the nature of that position. You really can't have too many QB's.

Croom recruits differently. If a class is heavy with DE's, he recruits 8 of them. The problem is you have holes at other positions- like WR for at least a year.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
Garrett is somehow different from all the other highly rated QBs who routinely sign with programs stacked waist deep with highly rated QBs on the depth chart exactly how?

What is it about Garrett that will allow him to sign with croom instead of Miles/Saban/Pumpkin/Ball Coach "once he sees the respective depth charts?" I just need help seeing how THIS TIME it will be different. THIS TIME we're after a kid who will look at the depth charts and see crystal clear that he gets immediate playing time at State and THAT is why we get him.

Can I get an answer?

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
So, let me get this straight. Poor ole MState has better qb depth than the defending National Champion LSU Tigers? Is that what you're saying? Give me a fecking break.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________First of all I have a pretty good feeling that the defending national champions will not have a problem getting some decent QBs next year._________________________________________________
You are probably right. As I said, Garrett could be Miles' main target as he is a pretty good QB.
Quote:_________________________________________________And second of all, like I said in a previous thread, if Perilous isnt gone yet he isnt going anywhere _________________________________________________
You may be right, but he is at least suspended indefinitely at the moment. Based on that, he is currently not really a part of the team.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Riddell was suspended indefinitely and you see how that went. If Miles wanted him off the team he wouldnt just be suspended right now

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I don't think the 'depth chart' issue is what it will boil down to with Garrett. He grew up a State fan, his dad's the President of the Tupelo Bulldog Club or something, and I think he now sees that winning is possible at MState under Croom after last season. And his parents would only have to drive an hour to come watch their boy play. I like our chances.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________So, let me get this straight. Poor ole MState has better qb depth than the defending National Champion LSU Tigers? Is that what you're saying? Give me a fecking break. _________________________________________________
I did not say we had better depth. I said if we assume Perrilloux is gone, then by the time Garrett hit campus, we would have a JR with a season & a half of being a starter & LSU would have a RS So with a season of experience. LSU would also have a 3* backup & we would have a 2* backup (I'm only counting players currently on the roster). Now then, so it is more clear: ASSUMING Perrilloux is gone, LSU's QB depth would be comparable to slightly better than MSU's.

Aug 30, 2006
the depth chart may not have one bit of influence on Garrett's decision. He may believe he is good enough to beat out whoever else is at LSU. He may see the tradition of LSU, the big *** stadium, and the recent NCs and not be able to turn it down.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
I understand what is the basis of the argumentation:

So far I've deduced that the argument goes like this ...

1. Garrett is not likely considering heavily state's "depth chart" as a factor in whether to sign w/ croom;

2. Garrett is not likely to sign with LUS (or any other upper echelon program) because he is smart enough to look at their respective depth charts and see that he will get buried.

There, I think I've got it.

Aug 30, 2006
My main point has been that LSU is not currently stacked waist deep in 4* and/or 5* QBs. Since Garrett is most likely a 4* or 5* prospect, <span style="text-decoration:underline">IF</span> the depth chart was part of his consideration, then LSU's current depth chart should not make him shy away.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login