So Lane Forsythe is now hitting .278....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Passing Hines and Clark. Every one of his hits are singles but I'll still take it. We would not have won last night without him.

Too much swinging for the cheap seats just might be part of our problems at the plate.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Moving on UP! LSU paved the way for UAB pitching. They knew what to do with Clark, Hines and Cumbest. Great move by Lemonis to put the freshman in for Cumbest. Their pitching didn't know what to throw to him.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Moving on UP! LSU paved the way for UAB pitching. They knew what to do with Clark, Hines and Cumbest. Great move by Lemonis to put the freshman in for Cumbest. Their pitching didn't know what to throw to him.

Yeah, Cumbest is kind of an enigma. He looks so bad in some ABs you wonder how he ever gets a hit but still has a BA around .300. He strikes out a lot and rarely walks but to his credit he also seems to be about as good as I've seen at reaching base after weak contact and when he does make solid contact otherworldly things happen to the baseball.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
It’s no secret how to pitch to those guys. It is a matter of the pitcher executing or the hitter adjusting.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
8th in the country in home runs, 13th in the SEC in batting average. Tons of strikeouts.

https://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2022/lgteams.htm

Looking at this, it's incredible how far above the rest of the SEC that Tennessee is, in basically every single category.
Yes, but we're average in slugging and below average in OBP, resulting in an OPS (the number that TRULY tells you something) that is slightly below average. Obviously we strike out way too much, as you pointed out.

Bombs by themselves obviously don't matter that much. For a lot of reasons.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yeah, Cumbest is kind of an enigma. He looks so bad in some ABs you wonder how he ever gets a hit but still has a BA around .300. He strikes out a lot and rarely walks but to his credit he also seems to be about as good as I've seen at reaching base after weak contact and when he does make solid contact otherworldly things happen to the baseball.
I don't see how you take him out at this point. I like seeing Alford in the game, and I guess you could put Downs out there for Cumbest. But is that really what you want to do? I mean I like the youth movement, so maybe you could try it for one weekend series.

We all know that Clark, Forty, Hines, Alford and Downs are everyday starters next year, and I like the idea of playing them all. There's just no one to take out unless you sit Cumbest.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'll bet anyone $20 he'll be lead off hitter in 2 weeks

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
A bomb extended the game last night!
A game that never should have been that close.

Stats are more relevant over time. I thought everyone knew this. Obviously you are not familiar with the "lot of reasons" I referred to in my previous post.

Aug 28, 2018
Na.. Yeager is finally back in that spot and producing. That's where they wanted him at the beginning of the season.

Putting Forsythe there would be like sticking Clark in the 3 hole. The time is not right for that. They're better off down the lineup a bit.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
My annual plea to bring back conference only stats on the hailstate site.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

In the majors you can hit 200 and start as long as you can hit the long ball.******

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login