So, let me get this straight, we have 2 of the top

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
The depth chart is littered with GR and SR's and very few Soph's/Frosh, but muh LSU.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It all has to do with having an unknown head coach commodity. This is his first head coaching job. And he was our coordinator not a coordinator for UGA Ohio State or Bama. That's the only way you would have gotten more respect. What matters more though? Respect or what we get ln the field. I like arnett. I understand why we went the way we did. At the time I wished we had gone after a more known commodity and experience but Arnett knows us and says the right things. So we will see that's where everyone is. One of most well known coaches with tons of winning experience. To a first time head coach

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Most think we'll flop since our QB now has to play in a real offense.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Most think we'll flop since our QB now has to play in a real offense.
Reason #1 - 1st year heads coach, former head coach died.
Reason #2 - #1 QB has to change systems inn his JR year.
Reason #3 - One of the top WRs poached by Jawah
Reason #4 - this is Mithithipi State, not preseason champeen Ole' Mith

Reason #5 - It'z too hard to investigate, easier to get anudder drink and 2nd plate of Hot Pockets.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We are underrated but having 2 top linebackers isn’t really why we should be higher rated.

Helps but small piece to the puzzle.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Coaching is the big question mark for our team, and I don't blame anyone for being skeptical. None of us really know what type of team will take the field today. Could be anything from awesome to awful.

I love the optimism from so many of you. I'm sticking with my prediction of 6-6 until I see something to change my mind.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Coaching is the big question mark for our team, and I don't blame anyone for being skeptical. None of us really know what type of team will take the field today. Could be anything from awesome to awful.

I love the optimism from so many of you. I'm sticking with my prediction of 6-6 until I see something to change my mind.
Why is coaching a question mark? You already know what you're going to have on the defensive side of the ball because that staff is mostly in tact and we added a veteran d line coach. On offense we have a veteran coaching staff and a dynamic OC. It's pretty lazy for folks to use coaching as an excuse.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Why is coaching a question mark? You already know what you're going to have on the defensive side of the ball because that staff is mostly in tact and we added a veteran d line coach. On offense we have a veteran coaching staff and a dynamic OC. It's pretty lazy for folks to use coaching as an excuse.
Because the only reason Zach Arnett is a head coach anywhere is because Mike Leach tragically died. Arnett wouldn’t even be on head coaching radars anywhere for at least a few more years if not for his hasty promotion after Leach’s death. I hope he does great, but to say he is not a question mark is willful ignorance.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Because the only reason Zach Arnett is a head coach anywhere is because Mike Leach tragically died. Arnett wouldn’t even be on head coaching radars anywhere for at least a few more years if not for his hasty promotion after Leach’s death. I hope he does great, but to say he is not a question mark is willful ignorance.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
"Head Coach" is overrated in this case. He's built a veteran, proven staff, and he lets them coach. This isn't a Moorhead or Croom situation where they're coming in and blowing things up and running their own offenses. His job is to build a staff, set the culture, talk to the media, and yell at the refs on the sidelines. He's been aces so far.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We will all know one way or the other within 3 weeks. I personally think that our next concern is going to be about other programs wanting to hire our coach.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It all has to do with having an unknown head coach commodity. This is his first head coaching job. And he was our coordinator not a coordinator for UGA Ohio State or Bama. That's the only way you would have gotten more respect. What matters more though? Respect or what we get ln the field. I like arnett. I understand why we went the way we did. At the time I wished we had gone after a more known commodity and experience but Arnett knows us and says the right things. So we will see that's where everyone is. One of most well known coaches with tons of winning experience. To a first time head coach
I remember us doing exactly this when Mullen left instead of sticking with me of his coordinators. Worked out well. Just saying it’s a crap shoot no matter how you do it.

1putt

Aug 6, 2023
Reason #1 - 1st year heads coach, former head coach died.
Reason #2 - #1 QB has to change systems inn his JR year.
Reason #3 - One of the top WRs poached by Jawah
Reason #4 - this is Mithithipi State, not preseason champeen Ole' Mith

Reason #5 - It'z too hard to investigate, easier to get anudder drink and 2nd plate of Hot Pockets.
#4 misspelled >> old myth
with their made up championships and legends in their own minds from journalism grads

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Ole ms athletics staff markets themselives better than MSU.

The only poll that matters is the last one

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I remember us doing exactly this when Mullen left instead of sticking with me of his coordinators. Worked out well. Just saying it’s a crap shoot no matter how you do it.
Yeah, I'm done worrying about how we got where we are; it is a crap shoot no matter what. And I'm not saying Arnett won't work out, just that I'm in wait and see mode.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
It's pretty lazy for folks to use coaching as an excuse.
Lazy? There simply is not any research one can do to determine whether a man with FOUR YEARS of SEC coaching experience is ready to be a head coach in the SEC. It's .frightening, tbh. I'm glad you like what he has done so far, but you have no idea what the locker room chemistry is, no matter what you have heard. You don't know if the defense will play as well as last year. You don't know if our players are ready to execute the offense.

I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just in wait and see mode.

The only head coaching hire I've ever been excited about was Moorhead....and he was clearly not ready for the SEC.

Last edited:

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Lazy? There simply is not any research one can do to determine whether a man with FOUR YEARS of coaching experience is ready to be a head coach in the SEC. It's .frightening, tbh. I'm glad you like what he has done so far, but you have no idea what the locker room chemistry is, no matter what you have heard. You don't know if the defense will play as well as last year. You don't know if our players are ready to execute the offense.

I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just in wait and see mode.

The only head coaching hire I've ever been excited about was Moorhead....and he was clearly not ready for the SEC.
I agree with everything you say here.

This time of year teams are normally ranked by star talent and demographics. We lose a lot of votes for the demographics. TAMU is a great example. They have the talent so the ranking is there.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Mullen had grantham. Which most people think he wouldn't t have been a great coach. We went after another coordinator who had no clue of sec culture and had not Coached as an assistant in national championship like Dan. Dan knew how to establish a program. Plus for arnett is that he saw his leach rebuilt this program and ran it. I'm sure he will make tweaks but what has made leach tree guys succeed has been employing his mindset to ruining a program and establishing that culture

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login