So let me get this straight... We travel all the way to Lincoln Nebraska,

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
and don't get to play a Big10 team? I'm fine with playing Drake as they are a pretty good ballclub, but why did these two teams decide to play in Lincoln? I wouldn't even mind a road game in Des Moines to get us ready for the SEC season.

Why is Nebraska playing Queens University of Charlotte and not Drake/MSU, or the winner of Drake/MSU? None of this makes much sense to me. I would think getting another game out of this long road trip would be ideal before the Christmas break. Either way, these white dudes are lighting our asses up at the moment.

Last edited:

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
and don't get to play a Big 12 team? I'm fine with playing Drake as they are a pretty good ballclub, but why did these two teams decide to play in Lincoln? I wouldn't even mind a road game in Des Moines to get us ready for the SEC season.

With that said, why is Nebraska playing Queens University of Charlotte and not Drake/MSU, or the winner of Drake/MSU? None of this makes much sense to me, but whatever.
To add, this is a neutral game where we are gonna get run out of the gym.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
To add, this is a neutral game where we are gonna get run out of the gym.
I mean maybe, but we are leading 16-15 right now. I don't mind playing Drake, I'm just questioning the scheduling here. Doesn't make sense really on anybody's part except for Queens.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I mean maybe, but we are leading 16-15 right now. I don't mind playing Drake, I'm just questioning the scheduling here. Doesn't make sense really on anybody's part except for Queens.

I agree. If we’re going to play a mid major in a neutral site, do that crap in Bham, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. Don’t play a virtual road game against one that only counts as a neutral site game. Win, lose, or draw….its way better for the resume for this to be a true road game.

Of course, our entire nonconference slate was a pretty big scheduling clusterfuck that, fortunately, hasn’t harmed us since we’ve gone unbeaten. But if we had lost just 1 or 2 games, we would have been behind the 8-ball for the rest of the year as far as tourney chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostOfJackie

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I agree. If we’re going to play a mid major in a neutral site, do that crap in Bham, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. Don’t play a virtual road game against one that only counts as a neutral site game. Win, lose, or draw….its way better for the resume for this to be a true road game.

Of course, our entire nonconference slate was a pretty big scheduling clusterfuck that, fortunately, hasn’t harmed us since we’ve gone unbeaten. But if we had lost just 1 or 2 games, we would have been behind the 8-ball for the rest of the year.
Our Non Conference SOS is 279. There's only 363 teams. Should we have just scheduled better teams? Just curious what you think.

I guess I believe the numbers when they tell me it's 279, but honestly it doesn't seem like it was that bad. Both Utah and Marquette are good teams and Akron has a winning record. We have played 4 teams that have a combined 4 wins though.

Last edited:

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Our Non Conference SOS is 279. There's only 363 teams. Should we have just scheduled better teams? Just curious what you think.
Firstly, whoever had the bright idea to say “hey, let’s schedule THREE SWAC teams” should have been fired on the spot. I don’t care how badly you think you need gimme wins, there are better ways than that. You guarantee yourself a **** SOS right there.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

It doesn’t matter now since we are undefeated, but yes. Utah and Marquette were good opponents. Minnesota was an awful team but that win looks at least somewhat good from a name standpoint. Everyone else is pretty bad.

Overall I don’t like any schedule that requires your team to go undefeated or close to it in order to avoid a bad loss. And selection committees don’t like it either. But, winning fixes all mistakes, and because of that we are in good shape.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Not only did we schedule 3 SWAC teams but they are all amongst the worst. All 3 are 320 or worse in the NET rankings.

I get playing one, we are in Ms after all and getting quality non con games is tough for us. But you can choose from pretty much anybody in the Sun Belt or what’s left of CUSA and there are at least 5 directional schools in Louisiana that won’t kill your RPI.

Just atrocious scheduling. Thank goodness our coach and team have overcome the pile of crap that Cohen and company left them with.

Reactions: patdog

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not only did we schedule 3 SWAC teams but they are all amongst the worst. All 3 are 320 or worse in the NET rankings.

I get playing one, we are in Ms after all and getting quality non con games is tough for us. But you can choose from pretty much anybody in the Sun Belt or what’s left of CUSA and there are at least 5 directional schools in Louisiana that won’t kill your RPI.

Just atrocious scheduling. Thank goodness our coach and team have overcome the pile of crap that Cohen and company left them with.
Who does the scheduling? I thought the head coach has a lot of say in the schedule in basketball?

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

I agree. Playing 3 SWAC teams is pathetic scheduling. Especially when you mix that in with two Summit teams, and two Southland teams who rarely ever have good teams. This is the first time I've really looked into our opponents record.

I would like to see us mix in some semi-interesting regional type games that would at least give us an RPI boost in an average year. Teams like Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, South Alabama, etc. I would also like for us to do more H & H's with Memphis. We would probably have a loss or two mixing in some of these but ****, playing South Dakota and Omaha? Why?

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
I agree. Playing 3 SWAC teams is pathetic scheduling. Especially when you mix that in with two Summit teams, and two Southland teams who rarely ever have good teams. This is the first time I've really looked into our opponents record.

I would like to see us mix in some semi-interesting regional type games that would at least give us an RPI boost in an average year. Teams like Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, South Alabama, etc. I would also like for us to do more H & H's with Memphis. We would probably have a loss or two mixing in some of these but ****, playing South Dakota and Omaha? Why?
Agree. Half the Sun Belt is in the top 150. Hell MS Southern is in the top 30. The Ragin Cajuns are right outside the top 100. UAB is decent. Hell Northwestern State, McNeese… any of those are better than scraping the bottom of the SWAC barrel

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Who does the scheduling? I thought the head coach has a lot of say in the schedule in basketball?
I would think so, but I choose to blame that dickwad Cohen either way.

He has done the same thing in baseball for the past few years. It works itself out because we are in the SEC, but there were some years where we played WAY too many SWAC and other bad baseball teams.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Agree. Half the Sun Belt is in the top 150. Hell MS Southern is in the top 30. The Ragin Cajuns are right outside the top 100. UAB is decent. Hell Northwestern State, McNeese… any of those are better than scraping the bottom of the SWAC barrel
And we nearly lost to Jackson State. Avoided disaster.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
and don't get to play a Big10 team? I'm fine with playing Drake as they are a pretty good ballclub, but why did these two teams decide to play in Lincoln? I wouldn't even mind a road game in Des Moines to get us ready for the SEC season.

Why is Nebraska playing Queens University of Charlotte and not Drake/MSU, or the winner of Drake/MSU? None of this makes much sense to me. I would think getting another game out of this long road trip would be ideal before the Christmas break. Either way, these white dudes are lighting our asses up at the moment.
yea, jay state & valley have done wonders for our rpi. two wins between em.

I guess I believe the numbers when they tell me it's 279, but honestly it doesn't seem like it was that bad. Both Utah and Marquette are good teams and Akron has a winning record. We have played 4 teams that have a combined 4 wins though.
yea, jay state & valley have done wonders for our rpi. two wins between them. thx cohen.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
It seems like Nebraska is really getting the loose end of the deal with this glorified tournament. They get a home game against a team who is barely D-1 while two good teams are in the same arena. Makes zero sense.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
People complain about fans not going to games, then you see the terrible pre-conference schedule.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009

Our schedule is made during the late spring/summer. You can’t schedule 3 SWAC schools, it kills your NET. We should beat a team in the 230 NET range just as bad as a swac school in the 330s but it doesn’t tank your metrics near as bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our schedule is made during the late spring/summer. You can’t schedule 3 SWAC schools, it kills your NET. We should beat a team in the 230 NET range just as bad as a swac school in the 330s but it doesn’t tank your metrics near as bad.
That’s the thing. You don’t even have to schedule good teams to drastically improve your schedule. Yet for some reason, MSU basketball & baseball have insisted on putting ourselves at a real disadvantage by scheduling so poorly for years. Baseball has gotten better recently though, but still way too many SWAC schools and awful northern teams.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That’s the thing. You don’t even have to schedule good teams to drastically improve your schedule. Yet for some reason, MSU basketball & baseball have insisted on putting ourselves at a real disadvantage by scheduling so poorly for years. Baseball has gotten better recently though, but still way too many SWAC schools and awful northern teams.
The ghost of Lonnie Tinkle still haunts our athletic dept.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The 'battle' was meant to showcase teams with ties to Nebraska.

UNL is obvious.
One of the NAIA teams was also from Nebraska.
Drake's coach was at Creighton for like 15 years or so and his son, the best player on the team, grew up in Omaha until about 16years old.

Those are the ties to the state.
MSU and the other 3 teams?...who knows.

For the record, I would rather have played Drake and won than played UNL and won.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login