So TCU runs the Air Raid?

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
And they let their receivers run more than 10 yards downfield and have a QB that is not scared to throw it to them.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
There are/were 2 teams running Mike Leach system in the cfb top 4.

There was another almost in.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's incredible how they could pass/run block all over the entire field without holding anybody... amazing.

After he keeps it and runs with it, at least once or twice, if you think the damn defense would know he is not going to throw the ball

Kirk Herbstreit has never seen a quarterback run before I guess the way he is gushing.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
You have to admit that was a pretty gutsy drive. Anyone other than the QB would have come off for a breather at some point on that drive had they run it that much.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
After he keeps it and runs with it, at least once or twice, if you think the damn defense would know he is not going to throw the ball

Amen.

The TCU QB is not going to throw the ball . . . unless he is too tired from his previous runs.

He's not throwing the ball very well today. He realizes that, and therefore he's just running the ball after he drops back.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
TSure thing. Sell that all you want. There is the thread on here where Sonny talks about and credits Mike Leach.

But you be
Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Air Raid typically is more easily run with Texas-type players, who grow up and are coached to do it.

Whereas Mississippi players are raw, run the ball and aren't coached much at all. It's getting better but the majority still keeps it simple. Which is why a run-based offense has generally worked at State.

Of course this gets back to why I was always skeptical of the hire (and the hire of Slophead before that). I'd personally rather go the RichRod/Malzahn/Fritz route. But we're here now. We can still be fine as long as we can get the necessary players.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Will Rogers came from a team in Mississippi that runs the Air Raid offense. I'm sure there are a few more but it caught on in Texas first and has migrated east. Not sure about the successs in state championships or even divisions.

It will be interesting to see how we fare next season. One more year of the system here and some additional players that are recruited to fit the system may improve our record which will be difficult in the SEC.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
And they have 10 points at halftime.
They avg 40 pnts/game, us 32. They scored 524 for the season, us 392. We gained 1,241 yds rushing, them 2,932. Our total yds for the season 4,718 theirs 6,149 and on and on. Its night and day difference

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
We almost had a jet sweet a few times**

As an above poster said, this is the 90s traditional air raid. No variance to keep the defense on their heels. Just 5 routes and a qb that has to make the right decision every time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Will Rogers came from a team in Mississippi that runs the Air Raid offense. I'm sure there are a few more but it caught on in Texas first and has migrated east. Not sure about the successs in state championships or even divisions.

It will be interesting to see how we fare next season. One more year of the system here and some additional players that are recruited to fit the system may improve our record which will be difficult in the SEC.
I'm talking in general terms. I'm glad you found an exception. 80% of Mississippi doesn't do that. The big programs like Brandon do.

Mississippi just produces big number of defensive linemen, linebackers, and running backs. A good many safety types and decently at the super athletic areas like WR and CB. We also have a lot of sheer athletes playing QB, who make great WRs and safeties at the next level. And we generally have a lot of road grading OL, rather than the huge, wide ones you need in the Air Raid.

It's not simply a coaching philosophy. The players in MS are just different than TX.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We almost had a jet sweet a few times**

As an above poster said, this is the 90s traditional air raid. No variance to keep the defense on their heels. Just 5 routes and a qb that has to make the right decision every time.
Yeah... but it's not.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm talking in general terms. I'm glad you found an exception. 80% of Mississippi doesn't do that. The big programs like Brandon do.

Mississippi just produces big number of defensive linemen, linebackers, and running backs. A good many safety types and decently at the super athletic areas like WR and CB. We also have a lot of sheer athletes playing QB, who make great WRs and safeties at the next level. And we generally have a lot of road grading OL, rather than the huge, wide ones you need in the Air Raid.

It's not simply a coaching philosophy. The players in MS are just different than TX.
Our defense is a major difference.

Let's look at the Leach tree and their defenses. Tennessee... Not a great defense. TCU... not a great defense. USC. not a great defense. Give them MSU's defense and TCU does not lose that game. USC doesn't lose to UTAH. I think that goes for Tennessee.

That's the MS advantage.

we have 2 QBs that come from the Air Raid in Tx.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login