So the coaching staff is finalized...

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You ain’t wrong. I just want to do it after 2023. You don’t get this type of age and maturity at pretty much all offensive positions at MSU very often. Ever, really, considering many are 6th year players
I sgree. Will can't run a zone read offense. Hopefully we run a more pro style offense this season because will can be accurate if protected. Barbay has shown a ability to be multifaceted in his offense. This year add more run maybe 45-50 % run with backs and receivers like tulu to take pressure off Will. Then next season go more mobile QB and zone reads mixed with pro style

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Which was one of our best stretches in our football history.
10 years prior to leach saw us produce the most nfl players we have ever had In a 10 year stretch including our first big time QB in the nfl. I would call that a skill player. We had some good running backs. And a few pretty good receivers that didn't pan out in nfl. But so far leach skill players (receivers) haven't either. Don't think our leach qbs will either. (Will and Costello) so far Mullen has given us our best nfl caliber players offense and defense or the most of them. So don't act like just because we aren't doing air raid doesn't mean we won't have nfl players.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But if you have the wrong coach, you could be digging a really deep talent hole for the future. Its really foolish to make a bad coaching hire just to keep talent together for 1 year.

And, as I have already said in numerous other threads, we are not "primed" for anything particularky special next year. We won 8 regular season games this year, and easily could have lost 2 of those. The schedule isn't really any easier next year, and we have a first year head coach and a new OC.

I'm not predicting gloom and doom, I just don't see how 2023 looks so Rosey that its worth possibly sacrificing 2024-26.
Slow down. It also works the opposite way. If you want to blow it up 3 years from now, it’s much easier to do so.

But let’s also back up. The reason we want to continue doing what we are doing is because something is working.

And we could suck next year. Hard to tell the future. You use the info you have to make the best decision possible. In hindsight, we made a terrible decision in 2017. We would have been better off with Grantham. But, 2 years later, we did what we had to do. Such is life.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
But let’s also back up. The reason we want to continue doing what we are doing is because something is working.
Is it though? Did you feel the same way after the UK loss? What if Kiffin kicks a couple FGs and beats us; still think something is working?

I don't want to blow anything up, but I certainly do not agree that we "had to" hire Arnett. Especially not if he was going to change the offensive staff anyway.

We need the best fit at HC we can get. Even if there are mass defections, the right coach can address that through recruiting and transfers. Arnett may very well work out....but I don't think any other D1 schools would even have considered him a candidate.

Reactions: QMartinez

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Is it though? Did you feel the same way after the UK loss? What if Kiffin kicks a couple FGs and beats us; still think something is working?
Sigh. Yes, I did. We went 8-4. We struggled against the good defenses, like all teams do, and we played one of the top schedules out there. And yes, Kentucky was a good defense. You talk about Ole Miss and FGs, well, what if Rogers doesn't fumble? We blow them out.

Especially not if he was going to change the offensive staff anyway.
When it was all said and done, he didn't change it all that much.

Even if there are mass defections, the right coach can address that through recruiting and transfers.
Awful optimistic of you.

Bottom line it was all worth a shot, and a good time to take that shot. Calm down and stop worrying. This has all been discussed ad nauseum in THIS THREAD already.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Bottom line it was all worth a shot, and a good time to take that shot. Calm down and stop worrying. This has all been discussed ad nauseum in THIS THREAD already.
I'm not the one excited or worried. I said in December I would have preferred a national search, and I stand by that. There is nothing special about our current team that required us to promote Arnett.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I don't like splitting the guards and centers into a separate group from the tackles. TE is a different animal but center, guards and tackles should be one group. I doubt it will be separated in reality but I guess we will see.
Jackie did it before he was fired.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't really follow low-level coaching hires, but yall really buried the lede - WE HIRED MICHAEL JACK SCHMIDT???

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
last 2 seasons- 16-10 overall, 8-8 in conference, finished 3rd in division both times, and finished ranked this season.
People dismiss that stuff like its the floor when really its damn near our ceiling this century.

ETA- out of 22 possible back to back year combinations this century, MSU tied the overall wins shown above once and beat it three times.
So 18% of the time MSU has done as well or better than the past 2 seasons. I would have gladly kept that.
Agreed! I'm really sad that we don't get to see what Leach would have done next season with his system and players firmly in place. Ultimately, it is up to the head coach to decide which way to go and Arnett decided to move away from the Air Raid. I'm fine with it simply because he sinks or swims with the decision. I think we will be fine except it will take time to install a new offense. Expect a couple of losses that wouldn't have happened had we stayed the course. I hope I'm wrong.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Mississippi State's completed on-field coaching staff includes:
  • Kevin Barbay (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
  • Matt Brock (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
  • Tony Hughes (Associate Head Coach/Running Backs)
  • Chad Bumphis (Wide Receivers)
  • Brett Dewhurst (Safeties)
  • Will Friend (Offensive Line)
  • Darcel McBath (Cornerbacks)
  • Eric Mele (Special Teams Coordinator)
  • Mike Schmidt (Tight Ends & Tackles/Run Game Coordinator)
  • David Turner (Defensive Line)

Any info on this?

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Sigh. Yes, I did. We went 8-4. We struggled against the good defenses, like all teams do, and we played one of the top schedules out there. And yes, Kentucky was a good defense. You talk about Ole Miss and FGs, well, what if Rogers doesn't fumble? We blow them out.

When it was all said and done, he didn't change it all that much.

Awful optimistic of you.

Alabama gave up 20 to Texas, 26 to Arkansas, 20 to A&M, 52 to Tennessee, 32 to LSU, 24 to Ole Miss, 27 to Auburn, 20 to Kansas State. Heck ULM scored more than us. We scored 6 on their 3rd team defense.

LSU gave up 24 to FSU, 17 to Southern (HBCU), 17 Auburn, 40 to Tennessee, 35 to Florida, 20 to Ole Miss, 31 to Bama, 38 to A&M, 50 to UGA. We scored 16.

Kentucky gave up 16 to Florida, 23 to Northern Illionis, 22 to Ole Miss, 24 to South Carolina, 44 to Tennessee, 17 to Missouri, 24 to Vandy, 21 to Iowa. Yet we could only manage 10 offensive points.

That vaunted Ole Miss defense... gave up 27 to Tulsa, 28 to Vandy, 34 to Auburn, 45 to LSU, 28 to A&M, 30 to Bama, 42 to Arkansas, 42 to Texas Tech.

Illinois gave up 23 to Indiana, 14 to Minnesota, 23 to Michigan State, 31 to Purdude, 19 to Michigan, Yet we scored 12 offensive points,

Yes those teams were good, but their defenses gave up points to other teams. Why couldn't we do it?

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Agreed! I'm really sad that we don't get to see what Leach would have done next season with his system and players firmly in place. Ultimately, it is up to the head coach to decide which way to go and Arnett decided to move away from the Air Raid. I'm fine with it simply because he sinks or swims with the decision. I think we will be fine except it will take time to install a new offense. Expect a couple of losses that wouldn't have happened had we stayed the course. I hope I'm wrong.
I made this exact point back in December before he was hired. Some posters were adamant that we needed to keep the Air Raid and the offensive staff, and that if Arnett would not agree to that in the interview then we should not hire him. No head coach should be put in a position where he has to retain a staff to run an offense (or defense) that he doesn't want. We gave Arnett the keys to the car. We have to be OK with any modifications he makes to said car. If he runs it into the ditch, take away the keys and move on.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I made this exact point back in December before he was hired. Some posters were adamant that we needed to keep the Air Raid and the offensive staff, and that if Arnett would not agree to that in the interview then we should not hire him. No head coach should be put in a position where he has to retain a staff to run an offense (or defense) that he doesn't want. We gave Arnett the keys to the car. We have to be OK with any modifications he makes to said car. If he runs it into the ditch, take away the keys and move on.
Sort of. We all know Arnett would have never been hired outside of the Leach passing and circumstances around that. So I always thought we should have extended that same faith to the offensive staff, at least for one year. And if it didn't work after that, so be it, Arnett could then install 'his' program and would have the evidence to back it up. We had a lot of production coming back in 2023, so it made sense on paper.

But apparently there was some good reasoning to part ways with Leach's offensive guys. Guess we'll see next fall.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What was our Air Raid other than "everybody run around ad hoc especially in front of the linebackers" and "all you big guys block as long as you can" and "half the time dump it off to the RB once everyone goes out in coverage"

We saw how we were being covered and we looked for space/opportunity. It's really not rocket science.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What was our Air Raid other than "everybody run around ad hoc especially in front of the linebackers" and "all you big guys block as long as you can" and "half the time dump it off to the RB once everyone goes out in coverage"

We saw how we were being covered and we looked for space/opportunity. It's really not rocket science.
Did you see what everybody did in response to Mike Leach's passing? I don't think that guy would be remembered that way if his football coaching consisted of what you just posted. But hey, you're a random message boarder so you nailed it, right?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just because he kicks the FG doesn't mean he wins. It just changes what happens next. It's possible if he makes the FG, Tulu returns the following kickoff back for a TD. It's possible he misses the FG. It's possible that FG is blocked and returned for a TD or to the red zone. All it means is Kiffin is an idiot and loses way more games than he wins by not kicking FG or not punting on 4th downs. That **** works in high school but not College. I have a feeling if it hasn't already happened a grown up is going to set him down tell him to stop it. I don't think Bear fans are really happy about it.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Did you see what everybody did in response to Mike Leach's passing? I don't think that guy would be remembered that way if his football coaching consisted of what you just posted. But hey, you're a random message boarder so you nailed it, right?
It works best when you have the personnel and remembering CML was more about his personal demeanor than the Air Raid. We ran a scaled down offense for obvious reasons.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It works best when you have the personnel and remembering CML was more about his personal demeanor than the Air Raid. We ran a scaled down offense for obvious reasons.
Mike Leach acted no different than he did at any other stop. If anything, his personal demeanor was more scaled down here, thanks to Cohen's fear of the woke mob, and because our fans are such sheep pansies that they are worried about image and reputation more than winning (at anything).

You're wrong, but it's certainly have the right to showcase your wrongness for the world.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login