So the DC is Coleman Hutzler, Bama OLB coach

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Hmm. Think him and Lebby were in Oxford together. He’s been around the SEC for a while now. Bama for a couple years, OM, Texas, South Carolina, etc.

Wonder if Durkin decided to take a year off.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
(sorry for stealing)

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Hmm. Think him and Lebby were in Oxford together. He’s been around the SEC for a while now. Bama for a couple years, OM, Texas, South Carolina, etc.

Wonder if Durkin decided to take a year off.
He is under contract and has not been fired. They are not going to fire him (if they do) until after their bowl game and that is after the portal closes.

We, evidently do not want to pay the buy out

• Wow
Reactions: Noname.sixpack

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Damn. And we thought the Barbay hire was speculative (I'm being kind).
Yup, and that's the problem for fans. Bama's special teams have been pretty good, but they always have good LBs so who knows what kind of coach he is. I'm going to trust Saban wouldn't make a bad hire there.

So, he at least has some skins on the wall in the SEC and has been on a upward track, as far as schools he's been hired by

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Seems like an rising star in the coaching world. That being said, none of us really know. Could be a homerun, or the guy could fall flat on his face given he is not going to have the kind of resources and players at State he had at most of his other stops.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No experience calling defense? Great. So this is Brock. I guess we just can't hire anyone experience at doing a job since leach died. Couldnt get a good OC last year. Hire an OC with no head coaching experience to be our head guy then hire a position coach and special teams guy to be our DC. We sure do make some head scratching hires and then wonder why we suck a year later. Sorry, but we are getting exactly what we are getting for an inexperienced head coach two years in a row. Not being able to get a sitting DC with experience with an inexperienced head coach is meh.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
For a first-time head coach, and one who's specialty and focus is offense, having a veteran DC makes much more sense. I just don't like this hire; it has bad optics.

Granted, I don't want a Carl Torbush here, but Hutzler was a co-DC in Hermann's swan song year? Not something to put on the resume'. Prior to the Sark, UT football and defense were mutually exclusive.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
For a first-time head coach, and one who's specialty and focus is offense, having a veteran DC makes much more sense. I just don't like this hire; it has bad optics.

Granted, I don't want a Carl Torbush here, but Hutzler was a co-DC in Hermann's swan song year? Not something to put on the resume'. Prior to the Sark, UT football and defense were mutually exclusive.
Hopefully he learned something from Saban during his time at Bama...

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I'm trying to convince myself this isn't Peter Sirmon 2.0, and I think I'm succeeding.

Arguing against:
1. 7 years spent in the SEC vs 2
2. Has been a co-DC
3. 14 years of coaching experience vs 6 (not counting assistant roles)
4. Saban tree
5. Meyer tree

Here's their coaching careers:
2022-23 Alabama Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
2021 Ole Miss Special Teams Coordinator
2020 Texas Co-Defensive Coordinator/LBs
2016-19 South Carolina Special Teams Coordinator/LBs
2015 Boston College Special Teams Coordinator/OLBs
2014 Florida Special Teams Coordinator/OLBs
2012-13 New Mexico Special Teams Coordinator/OLBs
2010-11 Florida Special Teams Coordinator/LBs
2008-09 Stanford Defensive Assistant
2007 Stanford Recruiting Assistant
2006 San Diego Defensive Assistant

2014-15 USC Associate head coach, linebackers coach & recruiting coordinator
2013 Washington Linebackers coach & recruiting coordinator
2012 Washington Linebackers coach
2011 Tennessee Linebackers coach
2010 Tennessee Graduate assistant
2009 Oregon Graduate assistant
2008 Central Washington Linebackers coach

Last edited:

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I'm going to say this is a smoke screen to make A&M believe that we are no longer interested in Durkin. Then, they will fire him and we can swoop in and hire him as the real DC. We just gave a title to Hutzler to lure him from Bama.

Because that makes more sense than giving the DC to a guy without experience when we haven't even had to go get an OC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No experience calling defense? Great. So this is Brock. I guess we just can't hire anyone experience at doing a job since leach died. Couldnt get a good OC last year. Hire an OC with no head coaching experience to be our head guy then hire a position coach and special teams guy to be our DC. We sure do make some head scratching hires and then wonder why we suck a year later. Sorry, but we are getting exactly what we are getting for an inexperienced head coach two years in a row. Not being able to get a sitting DC with experience with an inexperienced head coach is meh.
Yet again, we've got a very young coaching staff with a 1st time head coach, 1st time offensive coordinator, and 1st time defensive coordinator. Have we learned nothing from last year?

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
He was on the defensive staff at South Carolina when Muschamp was there, he’s learned under Steele at Bama this year and Saban. A lot of good defensive minds to be around. He was a co-DC at Texas but have no idea how much he had to do with playcalling so it’ll definitely be interesting to see how he does calling the shots. Underwhelming hire for sure but I guess we will see

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This will either be genius move or one of those you should be fired moved. I guess someone has to take the chance, you have to get your first DC job somewhere. Even Saban had his first chance.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login