So, we opened camp on the South Farm?

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
Awesome if true!
No, but a couple of practices will be there for the first time since, I believe, 2017. Here’s what Arnett said about it:

"You always remember the difficult tasks and the adversity you had to overcome, that's what you're proud of as a former player," Arnett said. "I've talked to a lot of former players and they talk about those South Farm practices as the dog days of camp where you separated the men from the boys and that's something that they're proud of. That's going to give us a right of passage around here.

"I love the fact that we can go out there away from all the comforts and conveniences of the wonderful facilities that we're in. It almost takes you back to your high school days where there's a grass field and we're going to put a ball down and find out who the best player is. You don't need all the fancy stuff. We're going to do it again, again and again and hopefully develop the heart of our football team out of that."

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I didn’t know Arnett was a linebacker at New Mexico. This sounds awesome. Feels like he wants to bring some toughness to the team.

Reactions: Anon1678592419

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No, but a couple of practices will be there for the first time since, I believe, 2017. Here’s what Arnett said about it:

"You always remember the difficult tasks and the adversity you had to overcome, that's what you're proud of as a former player," Arnett said. "I've talked to a lot of former players and they talk about those South Farm practices as the dog days of camp where you separated the men from the boys and that's something that they're proud of. That's going to give us a right of passage around here.

"I love the fact that we can go out there away from all the comforts and conveniences of the wonderful facilities that we're in. It almost takes you back to your high school days where there's a grass field and we're going to put a ball down and find out who the best player is. You don't need all the fancy stuff. We're going to do it again, again and again and hopefully develop the heart of our football team out of that."
He certainly says the right thing.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I talked to a coach (not State) and former player. They both believe he is an outstanding coach, and a star in the making. They said if he can get the players in here he'll do well. That's for most coaches, but one of them said he hasn't even really "figured out recruiting yet", and is recruiting at a semi-high level.

"One of the most impressive things about Zach is his organizational skills. And he knows the game inside and out."

"Some kids in MS that go out of state, will want to play for him. Look for him to pull that high 4 * kid from MS, will keep kids in state." Said he has a chance at 9-10 wins this year. "Of course he could only win 6, but has the players & experience to win more."

A little more sunshine pumping than I'd say, but they have the credentials. They were very high on him.

Reactions: patdog

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
He's definitely got this like young saban attitude and strategy. We will see if it pays off for him with wins.
I think he’s going to have a Dabo-like story. Young assistant that got his shot as a head coach out of nowhere and ends up turning the program into one that contends for championships every year.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Don’t know how this will turn out long term but it is so encouraging to see how ZA is modeling our football program. I am very optimistic that we have exactly what we need with ZA.
I know this sounds dumb, but he is one of those guys you want with you in a fight. Does that mean he will be the next Dabo? I have no idea, but I love the energy that I think everyone can see along with the obvious hunger of CA.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
There will not be writing on any index cards most likely followed by a chat with the ref, all due respect to our beloved pirate. The side judge is going to have a completely different experience in ole Starkvegas from now on.
I really want to see a vintage Steve Spurrier type, headset throwing come apart on a ref. I understand that may not help us get any calls in the future, but da’gum we never get the calls in the future anyway. It would make me feel better to see the head coach occasionally yell at a ref the way I do at the TV.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I really want to see a vintage Steve Spurrier type, headset throwing come apart on a ref. I understand that may not help us get any calls in the future, but da’gum we never get the calls in the future anyway. It would make me feel better to see the head coach occasionally yell at a ref the way I do at the TV.
Agreed it is not like we get or will ever get calls so why not have a little a fun and fire the kids up?

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
The one time I got to see Spurrier throw his visor live and in person is among my favorite college memories.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I still don’t understand the safety call there.
I know it’s 3rd and a mile but get something positive on 3rd down and punt it.
Even if we come down and score (which we did - after the safety) still only give up 7 vs 9 points there.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I still don’t understand the safety call there.
I know it’s 3rd and a mile but get something positive on 3rd down and punt it.
Even if we come down and score (which we did - after the safety) still only give up 7 vs 9 points there.
The offense was in absolute shambles and backed up to their own goal line. We had a high chance of getting a safety anyway. So might as well give that to us rather than risk a fumble for a TD.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Terrible idea. Should be eating snow cones and going to Geyser Falls.
Writing was on the wall wasn't it?

everyone was oh it's so nice not having an *** in the building like Mullen was. SEC hesd coaches aren't there be the players friend or the medias friend.

Reactions: patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Explain to me why practicing at South Farm is so great. I mean, it’s a three minute bus ride away. Y’all act like they bused them to Junction, Texas.
Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Explain to me why practicing at South Farm is so great. I mean, it’s a three minute bus ride away. Y’all act like they bused them to Junction, Texas.
Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office
Because it’s hotter out there, the ground is harder, drier, hotter.
There’s fire ant beds and crawfish mounds pushing up out of the ground.
The nearest bench with two water coolers on it is 50 yards away.
They have to wear their helmets while not participating in that particular drill and then at the end of the 2 1/2 hour practice is a long round of Oklahoma drill, followed by Bull in the Ring and then a long Congo line around the practice field.
Then they get to do it all over again in the afternoon and then then next morning with dew on the ground it’s so humid and it goes on and on for two weeks.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Because it’s hotter out there, the ground is harder, drier, hotter.
There’s fire ant beds and crawfish mounds pushing up out of the ground.
The nearest bench with two water coolers on it is 50 yards away.
They have to wear their helmets while not participating in that particular drill and then at the end of the 2 1/2 hour practice is a long round of Oklahoma drill, followed by Bull in the Ring and then a long Congo line around the practice field.
Then they get to do it all over again in the afternoon and then then next morning with dew on the ground it’s so humid and it goes on and on for two weeks.
They can't do two a days anymore.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Those must be some tough a** crawdads pushing thier mounds up in that dry hot ground. Right there alone you can see it makes the crawdads tougher than woodpecker lips. Imagine what it does to the players. I heard they wuz doing 3 a days way over there on the south farm back forty

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Those must be some tough a** crawdads pushing thier mounds up in that dry hot ground. Right there alone you can see it makes the crawdads tougher than woodpecker lips. Imagine what it does to the players. I heard they wuz doing 3 a days way over there on the south farm back forty
won't nothin make you tougher than getting tackled in a pile of cow **** **

• Haha

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I'm sitting here trying to think of what exactly made the farm "harder" when I was there. It's like there wasn't exactly this or that.

When you're out there, it feels like a true "camp" so to speak. You feel away from absolutely everything. There's zero shade. The grounds aren't perfectly manicured. It's definitely a Junction Boys kinda feel. And why did the wind NEVER blow out there?

The end of week 2 was really where the men were separated from the boys. Everyone is tired. Leg's are shot. Tired of hitting the same person everyday. Campus is dead. And the first game still isn't quite in arms reach yet. It'd be normal for fights to break out at this point. And THAT'S when Mullen turned up even more. As a player I remember thinking, "What is Mullen's problem? We're all out here sick and tired of this crap and he's yelling MORE". Now looking back, I understood that he was driving our mental toughness through the roof. And it was effective. You come out of that having the confidence that you can take on the world and absolutely nothing will rattle you.

Fall camp is tough. You wake up at 5:30am every morning and you're done with football for the day at about 9/10pm that night. Everyday. For 2-3 weeks. It'll weed out the showboys real quick.

Does it translate into more wins? I don't really know. Did it give us punters/kickers/snappers enough time to leave early for the Farm and cut through sorority lane to look at things? Yeah. It did.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've been wanting that out of Lemonis too since day 1 and it hasn't materialized but maybe once and that was this year.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login