So, we opened camp on the South Farm?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Explain to me why practicing at South Farm is so great. I mean, it’s a three minute bus ride away. Y’all act like they bused them to Junction, Texas.
Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office
Read Swedes post below.....

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I still don’t understand the safety call there.
I know it’s 3rd and a mile but get something positive on 3rd down and punt it.
Even if we come down and score (which we did - after the safety) still only give up 7 vs 9 points there.
It was vintage Spurrier. He was sending a message to his team: "we can't even get a damn play off so I'm taking a safety on third down because y'all can't get your 5hit together."

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I’m always amused at the hard on a lot of y’all get for a coach yelling at the ref. That was the weirdest complaint I always found with Leach. He didn’t care enough because he didn’t go Woody Hayes on the referee. Will Muschamp did a lot of yelling at refs and you see where that got him.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I was apart of the grounds crew for the recplex when I was at state. We didn't exactly have a great budget to do anything. It's just a big field with okay grass and nothing else. It did got hot as hell out there in summer but I enjoyed working out there especially during the summer semester and fall.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
but they get 20 hrs a week so 4 hours per day is bad, hard to do 4 hr practices in this heat regardless if its 2x2 or 1x4
Kids these days just have it too easy. Back in my day we did 2 four hour practices a day.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Kids these days just have it too easy. Back in my day we did 2 four hour practices a day.
I think ours were about 3 hrs ea 2x/day in late 70's and the water situation was insane. A few mouthfuls was a treat, that was it. Then the coaches would pass around bottles and have it pouring out their mouths all down the fronts of their shirts and on their faces and heads. Then they have us a handful of salt tablets and we did it again in the afternoon. It wasn't but a couple years later they started pretty much unlimited water. I really liked most of my coaches but I had a couple that were ridiculous with the water and I hate them till this day

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I think ours were about 3 hrs ea 2x/day in late 70's and the water situation was insane. A few mouthfuls was a treat, that was it. Then the coaches would pass around bottles and have it pouring out their mouths all down the fronts of their shirts and on their faces and heads. Then they have us a handful of salt tablets and we did it again in the afternoon. It wasn't but a couple years later they started pretty much unlimited water. I really liked most of my coaches but I had a couple that were ridiculous with the water and I hate them till this day
We would break out into position groups for the first part of practice. Then we would get one trip to the watering trough. It was a rack that held up about 20 feet of PVC that had a hose attached at one end and a bunch of holes drilled in it. That was it for the day.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We would break out into position groups for the first part of practice. Then we would get one trip to the watering trough. It was a rack that held up about 20 feet of PVC that had a hose attached at one end and a bunch of holes drilled in it. That was it for the day.
That's what ours went to a few years after I left. Before that it was just squeeze bottles and you were lucky to get a few seconds of a squirt. No way they could get away w/ it today but that's just the way it was done 45 years ago, said it made you tough!

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The length of practice was about the same for us. We got one 2 minute break on the middle of practice and got a ice cream scoop of crushed ice. Whatever water we could get from that was it. Not sure why they hated water so much but they didn't allow water during game timeouts either. "If you want water, grab a skirt and some pom poms, they get all the water they want."

That all changed after the last 2 a day practice my senior year. One of the junior linemen went into seizures, balled up in fetal position with eyes rolled back, while waiting in the ice line. They hosed him down and put him in the bed of a pickup and drove him to the hospital. He missed the rest of the season.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm sitting here trying to think of what exactly made the farm "harder" when I was there. It's like there wasn't exactly this or that.

When you're out there, it feels like a true "camp" so to speak. You feel away from absolutely everything. There's zero shade. The grounds aren't perfectly manicured. It's definitely a Junction Boys kinda feel. And why did the wind NEVER blow out there?

The end of week 2 was really where the men were separated from the boys. Everyone is tired. Leg's are shot. Tired of hitting the same person everyday. Campus is dead. And the first game still isn't quite in arms reach yet. It'd be normal for fights to break out at this point. And THAT'S when Mullen turned up even more. As a player I remember thinking, "What is Mullen's problem? We're all out here sick and tired of this crap and he's yelling MORE". Now looking back, I understood that he was driving our mental toughness through the roof. And it was effective. You come out of that having the confidence that you can take on the world and absolutely nothing will rattle you.

Fall camp is tough. You wake up at 5:30am every morning and you're done with football for the day at about 9/10pm that night. Everyday. For 2-3 weeks. It'll weed out the showboys real quick.

Does it translate into more wins? I don't really know. Did it give us punters/kickers/snappers enough time to leave early for the Farm and cut through sorority lane to look at things? Yeah. It did.
+1 for mental toughness. These guys are tough or they would not be here. I think you nailed the best reason for holding practices there.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I didn’t know Arnett was a linebacker at New Mexico. This sounds awesome. Feels like he wants to bring some toughness to the team.
I knew his resume but everything about the guy tells me he was a linebacker and a linebackers coach. I don’t know how good this team will be but they should be tough abd toughness is integral to Mississippi State’s football identity.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login