So what exactly is Selmon supposed to be doing right now?

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
Does he send monthly newsletters or anything to the fanbase? Didn't stricklin and Cohen do those? It was kind of nice to get monthly updates on ongoing projects and stuff around campus

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Do y’all wanting him to have press conferences calling out the football staff?

Cut wrestling promos kicking and screaming?

I get that he’s not visible enough for some but I mean what do you want him to be doing at this moment?
Anything short of firing Arnett by Monday at 7:00 and having Deion or Saban here by Tuesday at 7:00 is unacceptable.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think the frustration for him from some is because he did nothing about baseball sucking for two years straight so they don't think he will do anything for football either at the end of the season.

the two situations are extremely different.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
I think the frustration for him from some is because he did nothing about baseball sucking for two years straight so they don't think he will do anything for football either at the end of the season.

the two situations are extremely different.
He’s only been here since January, so baseball didn’t suck for two years under him.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I expect him to be working in the background and setting up the cash. Let the season play out and most likely end in disaster. Move quick if and when we miss out on a bowl and sack Arnette before Thanksgiving weekend ends. Ideally a coaching search could already be going before that but I don’t know how the business of that works.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

I get that he’s not visible enough for some but I mean what do you want him to be doing at this moment?
Brag Ric Flair GIF by WWE

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He should make some visible appearance at a game on TV to let the fan know he sees the empty seats and ****** football instead of being MIA. He doesn't have to say anything about our state as much and show he is around. For all I know, he could have been at the crap tables in Philadelphia today.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

His job. Engaging the fans, being somewhat transparent. Generating support and improving MSU. He has been absent.

Last edited:

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008

Whittling down the shortlist.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
He should make some visible appearance at a game on TV to let the fan know he sees the empty seats and ****** football instead of being MIA. He doesn't have to say anything about our state as much and show he is around. For all I know, he could have been at the crap tables in Philadelphia today.
Just curious, how many times do you see the camera cut to the AD during football games? I don’t know but I bet if you would’ve been at the game today sitting in club level or a suite, you would’ve seen him and had your opportunity to tell him what he’s doing wrong. I have no idea what kind of job the man is doing because sitting on an iPad posting on a message board is probably not in his daily routine.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Listen here DCD. I hear you have been running your mouth on the message boards about me. Saying Zac Selmon’s too scared to cut a wrestling promo. Zacky baby is too afraid to call out my detractors. Well I’m standing right here brother. While you cower behind your farm equipment, I’m standing right here, on the 50 yard line in the middle of Davis Wade Stadium. Yeah it might be difficult to see me with our 25 year old incandescent light bulbs but I’m here buddy. Waiting. So, when you want to man up and bring your Sasquatch self down here to Oktibehha county, let me know. Because I’ll be here ready to open up a can of Bulldog whoopass. Selmon, out.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I saw him this morning. Driving people towards the stadium in his &tate golf cart.

Then before the AZ game at the southern tailgates truck in the middle of people.

So he is at least....at games glad handing.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Zach Arnett, you put hard times on the people of Starkville, on the Mississippi State fans around this country, but you don’t know hard times. Hard times is when you in a fanbase for 40 years and you watch your team every week expecting them to win and they finally do and then they lay an egg against Alabama and Ole Mith and Georgia Tech. That’s hard times, Daddy.

Hard times is when you picked to win the College World Series and your star pitcher takes a bullet to the ankle and you watch your best team in a generation go home early. That’s hard times.

Hard times is squeaking by a Mid American Conference team after a 3 game slide and I’m not gonna let you put those hard times on these Bulldog fans no mo or we gonna give you a gold watch, kick you in the butt, and say “an interim took yo job, daddy”.

dusty rhodes GIF

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Hopefully he’s conveying behind closed doors to Arnett that his efforts aren’t cutting it

Right.

In my opinion, our AD should constantly be performing the following acts: 1) talking privately with our football coach on a regular basis to evaluate his efforts and strategies for improving our football team; and 2) keeping a constantly updated short list of the best possible head football coaches that are (or, may be) available to take the job at Mississippi State.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I agree with that. At this point I think it's time to pull the list out of the drawer and start assessing candidates. If we lose to Arkansas and Auburn it's time to put some feelers out, maybe talk to a search firm and see what options might be available. Exhaust all possibilities that you can during the season. That way you kinda have your ducks in a row by Thanksgiving. Either pull the trigger the day after the Egg Bowl or ride with what ya got

Reactions: Mjoelner

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just curious, how many times do you see the camera cut to the AD during football games? I don’t know but I bet if you would’ve been at the game today sitting in club level or a suite, you would’ve seen him and had your opportunity to tell him what he’s doing wrong. I have no idea what kind of job the man is doing because sitting on an iPad posting on a message board is probably not in his daily routine.??
How about any event it doesn't have to be on television just show up? He's so missing an action it's not even funny anymore.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He’s only been here since January, so baseball didn’t suck for two years under him.
I think he meant that baseball had sucked for 2 years (true) and he should have done something about it after this last season. I read it the way you did the first time I read it

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I agree with that. At this point I think it's time to pull the list out of the drawer and start assessing candidates. If we lose to Arkansas and Auburn it's time to put some feelers out, maybe talk to a search firm and see what options might be available. Exhaust all possibilities that you can during the season. That way you kinda have your ducks in a row by Thanksgiving. Either pull the trigger the day after the Egg Bowl or ride with what ya got
I totally agree with the above plus sit and wait for that phone to ring from agents that have clients that want to move. It's a thin line to walk contacting others with one under contract but doesn't mean you can't accept suggestions from sources and have that info in your pocket on Thanksgiving Day

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
At Saturday’s game, Selmon was in front of the entrance to the M-club glad handing former players before the game. They have an outside tent set up for them. I have feeling they let him know how it is.
The question is, how many seats will be empty come the Kentucky game? That’s the next SEC game.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
Just curious, how many times do you see the camera cut to the AD during football games? I don’t know but I bet if you would’ve been at the game today sitting in club level or a suite, you would’ve seen him and had your opportunity to tell him what he’s doing wrong. I have no idea what kind of job the man is doing because sitting on an iPad posting on a message board is probably not in his daily routine.
Yep. He was in the suites making his rounds at the bama game, keeping in touch with the people who will write the checks when it comes time.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I hope he sits with coach Arnett and asks him, "What is going on with your program? I've watched your defense allow every QB we've played against look like first round NFL draft picks. Even a 3rd string MAC player for heaven's sake! Please explain to me how you, as one of the most sought after defensive coordinators in the country, have allowed this to happen! You have two weeks to clean this mess up before we play Arkansas. I want to see a win or our next discussion will be the time frame for your exit from the program."

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Right.

In my opinion, our AD should constantly be performing the following acts: 1) talking privately with our football coach on a regular basis to evaluate his efforts and strategies for improving our football team; and 2) keeping a constantly updated short list of the best possible head football coaches that are (or, may be) available to take the job at Mississippi State.
I mean those are important but there are probably other items on that list almost as important.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Zach Arnett, you put hard times on the people of Starkville, on the Mississippi State fans around this country, but you don’t know hard times. Hard times is when you in a fanbase for 40 years and you watch your team every week expecting them to win and they finally do and then they lay an egg against Alabama and Ole Mith and Georgia Tech. That’s hard times, Daddy.

Hard times is when you picked to win the College World Series and your star pitcher takes a bullet to the ankle and you watch your best team in a generation go home early. That’s hard times.

Hard times is squeaking by a Mid American Conference team after a 3 game slide and I’m not gonna let you put those hard times on these Bulldog fans no mo or we gonna give you a gold watch, kick you in the butt, and say “an interim took yo job, daddy”.

dusty rhodes GIF
SPS Remembers nominee.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login