So what exactly is Selmon supposed to be doing right now?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nothing he can do right now. The question is will he do what needs to be done in 6 weeks. I doubt it.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I totally agree with the above plus sit and wait for that phone to ring from agents that have clients that want to move. It's a thin line to walk contacting others with one under contract but doesn't mean you can't accept suggestions from sources and have that info in your pocket on Thanksgiving Day
Yes. Im not advocating tampering but I would assume search firms already know who is looking and what they would accept. Seems like that's their job

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wait I thought you were a proponent of script state and interlocking MSU was no more?
I like it on baseball jerseys. I don’t think it looks good on our helmets or at midfield. I still think banner MState needs to be most places (like the field and court).

I’m open to interlocking on the helmets.

I AM in favor of ‘State’ branding. I think the official logo handles that though, for most intents and purposes.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I liked the block STATE that Leach had. The script stuff is better than the Banner M, but looks like something a baby sh@t soft baseball team would wear.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Do y’all wanting him to have press conferences calling out the football staff?

Cut wrestling promos kicking and screaming?

I get that he’s not visible enough for some but I mean what do you want him to be doing at this moment?
I expect him to be an AD.

You call the coaching staff in and say "Guys it's really simple. Either you fix this BS or we go in a different direction. Get back to doing what we did well and cut out the experimenting."

I expect him to already be talking to candidates on a "If I have to pull the trigger" basis.

What I don't expect.... Somebody giving me excuses on why they should be retained.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
You call the coaching staff in and say "Guys it's really simple. Either you fix this BS or we go in a different direction. Get back to doing what we did well and cut out the experimenting."

They never had to explain that on my job. I know I can be replaced. Coaches know they can be replaced. Their question is, do they have enough money for the buyout.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
They never had to explain that on my job. I know I can be replaced. Coaches know they can be replaced. Their question is, do they have enough money for the buyout.
Yes. We would owe him 9 million left on a contract that he gets 50% of. So, that's 4.5 million and he doesn't get all of that at once.

Here is the kicker, he just hired Jimmy Sexton as his agent. If we keep him another year, there will be a modified contract. Jimmy will get him a new deal!

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nothing he can do right now. The question is, can he make the hard decisions that need to be made when the time comes. All indications so far are no, he can't.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Nothing he can do right now. The question is, can he make the hard decisions that need to be made when the time comes. All indications so far are no, he can't.
He better do something because this is only going to get worse:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What have we done well?
Throughout our history? We’ve played pretty good defense. Got the nickname DLU for a while. I figure we can lead with that?

I mean if y’all want to give up on football and focus on basketball, I suppose that’s a viable plan too. Just accept the welfare money.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
If he hired Jimmy Sexton then either he will be somewhere else next year or have us in some Auburn style horror show contract that will have us over a barrel for decades.

Reactions: Ibdancin

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Out of a sense of decency I would think/hope Keenum has told Selmon to sit tight and let him try to clean up some of the mess we now have thus letting Selmon have some semblance of a clean slate to start to build his program. Selmon has inherited a "hot mess" for a young, first time AD.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
My point in all this is somehow the narrative is being created that he’s not doing anything when we simply don’t know that to be the case.
In this day and age, I think a huge part of an AD’s responsibility is communication, and the fact that we don’t know what’s being done one way or another is the red flag for me.

Do I expect him to be having fireside chats with SPS to let us know how hot Arnett’s seat is on a weekly basis. No, but when we have a 2-yr dumpster fire in baseball, a lot of confusion over basketball renovations, and an apparent mess with football, I think that 10 months of near silence from the AD is unacceptable. Fans and donors need a vision now more so than ever, but I don’t have a clue where we’re headed.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What have we done well?

The plays he has called from the AR show that the OL can block. 1 sack in every 24 passing attempts last year. This year in 1 in 10 and we still have yet to play most of the SEC.

As Derrik Mason pointed out yesterday, in PA passes, Rogers has somebody on him as he is turning around. As Mr Friend stated this week, our OL is still struggling who to target in blocking. That's the OL coach telling you actual truth.

Mix in 11 personnel for a rushing attack. Get rid of the 12 personnel because we do not have the TE room for that.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Hell he should have just left last year. Instead we wasted money on him.

We didn't waste money on him, we wasted money on a HC that sold him and others that we were not going to change up the OFFENSE much.

That tells the WR room, we are going to get the reps to be show cased. Instead.... 12 personnel... pulls 2 WRs off the field. That means less reps.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We didn't waste money on him, we wasted money on a HC that sold him and others that we were not going to change up the OFFENSE much.

That tells the WR room, we are going to get the reps to be show cased. Instead.... 12 personnel... pulls 2 WRs off the field. That means less reps.
I don’t remember exactly the timeline I guess. I know RaRa and DJ went in the portal before Leach died. Was Tulu and Zavion later on? Ie, they were loyal to Leach? All I remember is all the mouth breathers saying we didn’t utilize them enough.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Out of a sense of decency I would think/hope Keenum has told Selmon to sit tight and let him try to clean up some of the mess we now have thus letting Selmon have some semblance of a clean slate to start to build his program. Selmon has inherited a "hot mess" for a young, first time AD.
That’s ridiculous. Why did we even hire an AD if that’s the case? Could have spent that salary on more productive things.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

rem101

Jan 22, 2008

I get that he’s not visible enough for some but I mean what do you want him to be doing at this moment?
After checking Twitter he is responding to people about the seating on the hills at msu soccer games.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

He's very visible. He was walking around and talking to folks Saturday. And he was giving honest assessments for what's going on.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

I do hope he has had a few sit-downs with the coaches trying to find out what the game plans are going forwards. Don't get me wrong I like Arnette and hope he gets things going.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Yes. We would owe him 9 million left on a contract that he gets 50% of. So, that's 4.5 million and he doesn't get all of that at once.

Here is the kicker, he just hired Jimmy Sexton as his agent. If we keep him another year, there will be a modified contract. Jimmy will get him a new deal!
That's when we will see about AD Selmon. There is absolutely no reason to retain Arnett at this point. There is no negotiation possible unless it is a massive paycut and a change to a one year contract. If there is some BS new contract so he can recruit because kids won't come to a place with a coach on a short contract, then AD Selmon should be on a short contract.

I really think that is old thinking now. With the transfer portal and the rules about a leaving coach and NIL I doubt kids even think about a coach staying at a program. They can move with him. Coaches contracts should be getting shorter overall unless they are a proven commodity.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's when we will see about AD Selmon. There is absolutely no reason to retain Arnett at this point. There is no negotiation possible unless it is a massive paycut and a change to a one year contract. If there is some BS new contract so he can recruit because kids won't come to a place with a coach on a short contract, then AD Selmon should be on a short contract.

I really think that is old thinking now. With the transfer portal and the rules about a leaving coach and NIL I doubt kids even think about a coach staying at a program. They can move with him. Coaches contracts should be getting shorter overall unless they are a proven commodity.
The thing is that MSU would have to pay his buyout, but in reality that money is already there. We owed Leach $5 million per year for 3 more years when he passed ($15 million total). We signed on Arnett to 4 years at $3 million per year ($12 million total).

Looking only at 2023, 2024, and 2025 (the would-be Leach years) and subtracting a minimum of $3 million for 2026 that we’re gonna have to pay somebody no matter if its Arnett or another guy, you’re looking at $9 million to Arnett that would have been $15 million for Leach. Therefore there is already $6 million in the kitty which is already more than the buyout.

So for all of you who are upset that Arnett didn’t get an interim tag, realize that in reality, he pretty much has one unofficially. Its pretty damn hard to get any sort of a decent staff if you are actually an interim on your LinkedIn profile. He can still save himself, but he and the staff need to get grinding during this bye week.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Doing 17’n work to better this university. $hitty football, $hitty baseball, Dorman is still erect. WT17??
If I was on state’s administration, Dorman would be my break glass in case of emergency fallback. The moment it looked like I was about to get fired, I would announce the upcoming destruction of Dorman. Job saved

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Deion -or- Saban???? 17 that. We need both. Deion can be Saban’s DC and DB coach. We’ve got to have the Aflac monopoly, by god.
Now we cooking with gas!
Bring Coach O to yell at ppl and Croot, Rev Nutt to coach RB's and do some heppin, bring in Dennis Erickson as an analyst on how to really steal some players!! We can do this!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He's very visible. He was walking around and talking to folks Saturday. And he was giving honest assessments for what's going on.
So if we were one of those few people scattered around the stadium Saturday, we could've seen him? How about the folks who weren't at the game? I'm sorry for his bill. His visibility at this university has been minimal, and I'm not talking about football. I'm talking about everything with the sports department. We've been through. There are a several channels that you can send messages through and never have to be on the television screen. Maybe he doesn't know how to use these things. I forgot, some folks said he was on Twitter about the seating at a soccer game.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So if we were one of those few people scattered around the stadium Saturday, we could've seen him? About the folks who weren't at the game? I'm sorry for his bill. His visibility at this university has been very limited and I'm not talking about football. I'm talking about everything with the sports department. We've been through. There are a lot of channels that you can send message through and never have to be on the television screen. Maybe he doesn't know how to use these things. I forgot, some folks said that he was on Twitter about the seating at a soccer game.
I dunno. I can only compare it to other guys. I've probably met/bumped into/had conversations with Selmon five different times since he's been hired. The first was last year in oxford at our basketball game. I have never seen a more accessible AD at MSU in my lifetime.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I dunno. I can only compare it to other guys. I've probably met/bumped into/had conversations with Selmon five different times since he's been hired. The first was last year in oxford at our basketball game. I have never seen a more accessible AD at MSU in my lifetime.
Why has there not been a 2,000 word exposé in the magazine yet?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
From my personal experience, only ran into Templeton when I was looking for money or around people with money. I'm just talking about speaking to the Mississippi State people as a group. I think there are a lot of opportunities to try to put yourself in front of people without actually having to meet them face-to-face.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login