So where do we go from here?

patdog

May 28, 2007
One thing that's clear is we're not going to beat anyone in the SEC lining up in 2 RB or 2 TE formations and throwing the ball 17 times per game (could the pass attempts last night be any more fitting?). I don't care if Barbay trusts Will or Wright or not, we've got to start running more 3 and 4 WR formations and throwing the ball 50% of the time. We've also got to do a better job of having a coherent plan for when Wright gets snaps and what we do with those snaps.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Where do we go? We go 7-5 or 8-4 with a 10-win roster, if we're lucky. Rewind the clock back 5 years, here we are.

But agree with all you said.

Not to mention the rest of the SEC looks like it can be had. So frustrating. We can't make the clown change the coaching, just have to sit here and watch the garbage.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I agree. But, I think Arnett said the gameplan last night was “power run game”.

If that’s the gameplan, we should be taking points when given the opportunity. We decided to go for it on 4th & Goal at the end of the 1st drive. Probably should have kicked a FG there. I could see the case from the 1 or 2 yard line, but we were on the 4.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The sample size is too small to determine anything at this point. You can go look at film to see what he did at App State was pretty wide open but we aren’t seeing it here yet. Is that personnel or is it scheme? Hard to say at this point.

I’m not giving a pass or fail grade to Barbay after two games.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Where do we go? We go 7-5 or 8-4 with a 10-win roster, if we're lucky. Rewind the clock back 5 years, here we are.

Not to mention the rest of the SEC looks like it can be had. So frustrating. We can't make the clown change the coaching, just have to sit here and watch the garbage.
I haven’t seen anything to suggest this is a 10 win roster other than we’ve got a couple of NFL quality LBs and a few playmakers on offense. But we’re missing A LOT of other pieces to say this team could go 6-2 in SEC

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
One thing that's clear is we're not going to beat anyone in the SEC lining up in 2 RB or 2 TE formations and throwing the ball 17 times per game (could the pass attempts last night be any more fitting?). I don't care if Barbay trusts Will or Wright or not, we've got to start running more 3 and 4 WR formations and throwing the ball 50% of the time. We've also got to do a better job of having a coherent plan for when Wright gets snaps and what we do with those snaps.
That's what I was afraid of getting a pro style guy from mcelwain tree instead of getting a spread guy or modified air raid.. I think most everyone wanted a 60-40 split on pass run especially this year with will until parsons. He definitely got too comfortable with marks up the middle after marks was getting big gains. But where it hurt us was 3rd down or we got a penalty that backed us up. Definitely have to be more balanced and stop some of the predictable gimmick things. Then figure out the subs. The situstional qb couldn't have been used worse last night. Puts wright in gets 4 on a hand off then takes him out on 3-1. That takes the guessing out of it for defense. Definitely need some more 4 receiver sets to spread defense out and keep them honest. I talk about dynamic. Barbay was not dynamic last night. He was conservative and boring.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I haven’t seen anything to suggest this is a 10 win roster other than we’ve got a couple of NFL quality LBs and a few playmakers on offense. But we’re missing A LOT of other pieces to say this team could go 6-2 in SEC
Yep

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He’s moving the goalposts to make his argument look better.
No.

This team went 8-4 last year, returned most of its starters, has some high talent transfers, and a favorable schedule. Facts.

The fact that our coaching was awful last night and we won should tell you something. It was pretty obvious early that we had the talent to run away with the game if they just didn't mess it up, which they did.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No.

This team went 8-4 last year, returned most of its starters, has some high talent transfers, and a favorable schedule. Facts.

The fact that our coaching was awful last night and we won should tell you something. It was pretty obvious early that we had the talent to run away with the game if they just didn't mess it up, which they did.
8-4 with last years SeC of coaches and rosters. Rosters change quickly in many sec schools. We have a different head coach. Leach ain't walking out of that tunnel. So expecting them to coach it exactly the same isn't happening. Sand with the other side. Auburn isn't being coached by Cadillac. Arizona had several transfers starting. Different year different coaches and different players for many teams. this is where staying with arnett was a little risky. No experience going up against a bunch of experienced coaches. Then the decision to go pro style with Barbay. I think Briles was first choice but I think that also meant a qb change the way Briles likes a mobile qb. I think arnett probably struck out with his first choices because of the timing and new head coach with no experience.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's not. Not even close (we've really only got 1 NFL LB anyway). We've got a couple of posters trolling to try to set up the new coach to take the blame for everything. Classic strategy of another infamous former poster.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
It's fair to say his game plan was too conservative last night. And his subs made zero sense. Got way too comfortable running marks over and over and got predictable
And at the half, Arnett said our team is bi-polar. After the game he said they have to game plan better, the kids did what they were asked to do, and that after the start it was himself that wanted to get conservative. And said that was on him. So wether our offensive game plan was that bad or wether we were coached into that crap during the game, it was very wrong! If they screw around and cost Will’s confidence, we will really be in a bad spot then. Hope they get it figured out, and fast!

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The sample size is too small to determine anything at this point. You can go look at film to see what he did at App State was pretty wide open but we aren’t seeing it here yet. Is that personnel or is it scheme? Hard to say at this point.

He hasn't failed yet, but his progress report is sure going to look like ****.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Did app state have better talent than their competition on average? Wondering if that made him look good

Aug 22, 2012

We aren't winning 7 or 8.

5 max. We had 5 takeaways and had to win in OT at home against a mid level PAC-12 school.

We are gonna take some beat downs on the road.

Reactions: 60sdog

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's not. Not even close (we've really only got 1 NFL LB anyway). We've got a couple of posters trolling to try to set up the new coach to take the blame for everything. Classic strategy of another infamous former poster.
Thats It Classic Tv GIF by Sony Pictures Television

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
We aren't winning 7 or 8.

5 max. We had 5 takeaways and had to win in OT at home against a mid level PAC-12 school.

We are gonna take some beat downs on the road.
5 max… c’mon. That’s dramatic. The SEC was in shambles yesterday. No one we play this year has it figured out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When in doubt, call somebody a troll. Y’all employed that strategy years ago too but instead of troll you called people a sheep, who dared to not tow the party line and call BS when necessary.

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
A lot of overreactions to a win against a sneaky good P5 team on this board. If I didn’t watch the game and came to this board I would have a very different vision of what actually happened. I think it is as simple as State was overconfident they could run it down their throats, put the game on ice, and made a mistake of going too conservative which backfired and let Zona back in the game. Other than two series it’s not as if State didn’t move the ball relatively easily.

patdog

May 28, 2007
When in doubt, call somebody a troll. Y’all employed that strategy years ago too but instead of troll you called people a sheep, who dared to not tow the party line and call BS when necessary.
So who else is saying this team has 10-win talent? Not Vegas, the over/under for wins is 6.5. Not 247, they rank our roster #28 in the country and below 6 SEC teams on our schedule. Not SEC coaches, they have no MSU players on 1st team, two on 2nd team, and three on 3rd team preseason this year (only 4 players total since Tulu made both 2nd team offense and 3rd team special teams). Literally NOBODY other than you is saying this is a 10-win roster.

Reactions: The Fatboy

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So who else is saying this team has 10-win talent? Not Vegas, the over/under for wins is 6.5. Not 247, they rank our roster #28 in the country and below 6 SEC teams on our schedule. Not SEC coaches, they have no MSU players on 1st team, two on 2nd team, and three on 3rd team preseason this year (only 4 players total since Tulu made both 2nd team offense and 3rd team special teams). Literally NOBODY other than you is saying this is a 10-win roster.
Only way that might be close is if leach were still alive. He is the only person that would run the team like last season. Anyone else would have been different. Even hollingshead as OC even spurrier jr. Even if leach were still alive, Our schedule flipped. Hardwired games we usually lose at home. Easier games on the road. We usually don't do as well this years. So we might have had a worse record even with leach still here. Auburn and Arkansas will be harder this year

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

This is not a 10 win roster. The oline, dline, and secondary are too thin and lacking talent.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Only way that might be close is if leach were still alive. He is the only person that would run the team like last season. Anyone else would have been different. Even hollingshead as OC even spurrier jr. Even if leach were still alive, Our schedule flipped. Hardwired games we usually lose at home. Easier games on the road. We usually don't do as well this years. So we might have had a worse record even with leach still here. Auburn and Arkansas will be harder this year
Probably 8-4 if Leach was still here and 6-6 with the coaches we have.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
How about we use play action to get multiple WR open deep? Like we did in the 3rd quarter? (one time).

And please run Mike Wright on 3rd and short and not 2nd and long...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah, I can make that concession regarding Leach - it's his team. I just do not think MSU should EVER try to rebuild with 'up' rosters like this one. I knew Cohen didn't know what he was doing when he did that in 2018.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, I can make that concession regarding Leach - it's his team. I just do not think MSU should EVER try to rebuild with 'up' rosters like this one. I knew Cohen didn't know what he was doing when he did that in 2018.
Looking like keenum might not.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Looking like keenum might not.
Let me add….I’ll eventually just reach complacency and will just start supporting the team again, like I did in 2019. I figure nothing will change, so may as well just ride it out. I hope Arnett is not as dumb as Moorhead and gets this corrected before we get to that point.

We got lucky that Gay and Shrader went to fighting back then. Most times you have to keep them 3 years so it’s a futile effort to even bltch about it. I think that’s what you misunderstood about my stance regarding Slophead.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Considering the TEs are not blocking at the second level and contribute nothing to the passing game, I would rather get another WR on the field. Has Goede done anything through two games. I didn’t watch him at game 2, but game 1 he just blew a bunch of blocks.

Reactions: BA Dog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is not a 10 win roster. The oline, dline, and secondary are too thin and lacking talent.
I picked 7-5 with a margin of 2 games. I mentioned our line and defensive backs would be a question mark. Folks said we had experience returning. The problem is they were pass first, run second experienced players. We ran 39 times to 17 passes.

We are going to have growing pains at DB. The linebackers saved us last night.

We have enough talent to go seven wins this year, but we have to start putting our players in position to be successful. We cannot transition our offense overnight without the players to do it. Will is good at what he does but he is never going to be a Bryce young type of quarterback and right now that is the best option we have. We'll have to see what the future holds for all these positions. I just wish our next opponent wasn't LSU. They will eat our line for brunch next Saturday at 11.

What the heck happened to Creed Whitmore?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Where do we go from here? Probably an exciting Liberty or Birmingham Bowl matchup.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Considering the TEs are not blocking at the second level and contribute nothing to the passing game, I would rather get another WR on the field. Has Goede done anything through two games. I didn’t watch him at game 2, but game 1 he just blew a bunch of blocks.
The only time I personally noticed 88 on the field, it was doing what you mentioned

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I know Barbay has many rabbits in the hat based on the offense App St ran. I'm praying he's been keeping it all under wraps til we play SEC ball.
Those are some pretty thick maroon colored glasses to think that an MSU team could gameplan with a barebones vanilla offense against a decent Power 5 opponent and expect an easy win.

I doubt Mrs. Barbay is even that much of a believer. I think the reality is this guy had no clue what he’s doing with this roster. It be better figured out damn fast.

it’s obvious that we are getting NOTHING from any tight end so that is the point of putting them in the game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login